Barnett clutch kits: carbon fiber vs. kevlar
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Barnett clutch kits: carbon fiber vs. kevlar

Default Barnett clutch kits: carbon fiber vs. kevlar

On Viking's website, the kevlar set is 8 bucks more than the carbon fiber.

What's the diff between the two? Is one significantly better than the other?
    "A man's got to know his limitations." - Dirty Harry

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

MegaMike,

Here's some things to question:

(1) Why is it that the Barnett Clutch Website (www.barnettclutches.com) doesnt refer to ANY Kevlar Kits available for the VTX, ONLY Carbon Fiber ??

(2) Why is Viking promoting something that doesnt seem to exist, let alone charging 8 bucks more ??

(3) If such a kit exists, why doesnt Hal offer it on Directline ?? The picture on his website displays the Barnett Kevlar design, however, Directlines description states it's a Carbon Fiber Kit !!!

If you contact Barnett (as I did), they DO NOT OFFER A KEVLAR KIT FOR THE VTX !!! Barnett: 1-805-642-9435

See this link to Barnett: http://www.barnettclutches.com/applicat ... _menu=1800

Hope this helps !!!

Eric (NASTYX)

Thanks for pointing that out, NastyX. I don't know what's up with Viking.

I looked at the part numbers on Viking's site. The Kevlar kit is HPK-86, and the carbon-fiber kit is HPK-86CF.

Then I looked at Barnett's site, and sure enough they only list the HPK-86CF kit, and the fine print says:

"Carbon Fiber clutch kit part # end in "CF". All others Kevlar."

Okay, so someone at Viking is on crack. But I'd still like to know what the difference between a carbon-fiber and a kevlar clutch kit would be, even though there is apparently no such thing as a Barnett kevlar kit for the VTX. Does anybody know what the difference is (just in general, not specifically in regard to the VTX) ??
    "A man's got to know his limitations." - Dirty Harry

I just switched from the carbon fiber to the Kevlar and the Kevlar hooks up much more strongly, almost too strong in fact. I find it somewhat difficult to modulate the clutch and keep it in the friction zone to smoothly transmit power to the rear wheel and keep the engine revved up to a point where it runs smooth without lugging. The Kevlar tends to not want to slip as much as I am accustomed to with the old carbons making me clumsy (again) when making very slow maneuvers. I was able to scrape the floor boards on either side with ease at a walking pace before I changed and now I am finding it difficult to achievie the same smoothness again. I’m sure that I will get more accustomed to the subtleties of the new clutch as time goes by and I sure do like the way it launches from red lights. Anyway, I just wanted to share with you that there is a difference in performance and I’m sure the Kevlar will be more durable. At least I sure do hope so as I have gone thru both the stock and the Barnet carbons rather quickly. You think them burnouts and drag launches might have anything to do with it?? Nagh, couldn’t be that.
    GatorX

Quote Originally Posted by Gator
    I just switched from the carbon fiber to the Kevlar and the Kevlar hooks up much more strongly, almost too strong in fact. I find it somewhat difficult to modulate the clutch and keep it in the friction zone to smoothly transmit power to the rear wheel and keep the engine revved up to a point where it runs smooth without lugging. The Kevlar tends to not want to slip as much as I am accustomed to with the old carbons making me clumsy (again) when making very slow maneuvers. I was able to scrape the floor boards on either side with ease at a walking pace before I changed and now I am finding it difficult to achievie the same smoothness again. I’m sure that I will get more accustomed to the subtleties of the new clutch as time goes by and I sure do like the way it launches from red lights. Anyway, I just wanted to share with you that there is a difference in performance and I’m sure the Kevlar will be more durable. At least I sure do hope so as I have gone thru both the stock and the Barnet carbons rather quickly. You think them burnouts and drag launches might have anything to do with it?? Nagh, couldn’t be that.
    Ok folks, now I'm even more confused. Gator, where did you get your Kevlar clutch pack? Barnett doesnt list one, Viking does but how if the vendor doesnt? Pior posts/research seemed to indicate no such thing as a kevlar clutch pack for the X.

Thanks
    Greg

<<<<< Virginia XRiders BB >>>>>
    07 ST1300A
    03 VTX 1800C - Gone, but never fogotten!

this is a really good question. i poked around on this to get some facts but never really did. but i heard lots of storys of kevlar discs slipping on the vtx but maybe they were using the 856 springs and the 114's are only 10 percent stronger. i put the carbon fiber in and they feel great. but if you read the discriptions on there web site they say that if you are hard on your clutch to use the cf and the carbon fibor is there newer design so i wonder being that barnett is in the racing biz if the kevlar is more of a racing clutch and better suited for lihgt weight racing bikes and not verry good fof the heavy vtx. because when the x first came out all barnett had was the kevlar and they were slipping on the vtx's and then they came out with the cf and thats all they list for the bike on there web site. and they sent biglary a set of carbon fibor's with the older 856 springs and after like i think he said 16 k the clutch is still strong. i figure if it hooks up a guy as big as him it will work for me. but i would love to know the real diference between these two clutches.

just take a guess what clutchs work best with 340HP and 240 Torque?????

OEM period the Kevlar went bye bye in less than 2 miles
    Builder and tuner of some of the worlds record breaking motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnycheese
    just take a guess what clutchs work best with 340HP and 240 Torque?????

OEM period the Kevlar went bye bye in less than 2 miles
    So what are you saying? OEM clutch with 114 springs is better that Barnett CF with 114 springs?
    Greg

<<<<< Virginia XRiders BB >>>>>
    07 ST1300A
    03 VTX 1800C - Gone, but never fogotten!

VTXnVa, I got a local vendor to order them from Barnet they sold them individually ie I ordered 8 single disks rather than a "pack' or kit. They were about $8 each. When I replaced the stock friction pads with the CF from Barnet I used the stock steel plates and so had the Barnet from the CF kit left over for this time. Leaving the stock plates was probably an error and may be why the new friction plates wore out so fast. I think I had probably cooked them so they lost temper and wore quickly causing slippage and accelerated ware on the friction pads.
    GatorX

OEM are always better you just need HD springs or lock up weight
    Builder and tuner of some of the worlds record breaking motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by NASTYX
    MegaMike,

(1) Why is it that the Barnett Clutch Website (www.barnettclutches.com) doesnt refer to ANY Kevlar Kits available for the VTX, ONLY Carbon Fiber ??

(2) Why is Viking promoting something that doesnt seem to exist, let alone charging 8 bucks more ??

(3) If such a kit exists, why doesnt Hal offer it on Directline ?? The picture on his website displays the Barnett Kevlar design, however, Directlines description states it's a Carbon Fiber Kit !!!

If you contact Barnett (as I did), they DO NOT OFFER A KEVLAR KIT FOR THE VTX !!! Barnett: 1-805-642-9435

See this link to Barnett: http://www.barnettclutches.com/applicat ... _menu=1800

Hope this helps !!!

Eric (NASTYX)
    Eric I just called Andy at Viking and am told that he orders the Kevlar plates special and puts the kits together with no carbon fiber plates.
    That is the reason for the 8 dollar difference.
    Hope this clears everything up for all of you.

Default Barnett does offer

Barnett does offer a kit and the kevlar clutch plate stock number is 301-45-10008. I called Barnett and verified what I got was kevlar, because on the packaging it just says friction plate.

Quote Originally Posted by NASTYX View Post
    MegaMike,

Hope this helps !!!

Eric (NASTYX)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnycheese View Post
    OEM are always better you just need HD springs or lock up weight
    Sorry Johnny- that is just wrong. I know- way old post but some things don't improve with age either!
    Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, HID, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. Now have H4 HID & LED headlights available NDs.HIDs@gmail.com "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.