Gas smell
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas smell

Default Gas smell

When I get on it hard, especially if I go WOT, I smell gas for a second or two.

I changed my pipes recently to Jardines from Roadhouse slipons, that's the only change I have made. No fuel management, but MPG is great, 38-43 on recent trip to Hollister. X-box airbox with K & N.

any ideas? is this common?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

When I get on it hard...I smell gas
    Stop leanin' 2wards the glass as that is a low pressure area.

Quit ridin' w/Carhartt coveralls as the neck is a natural vent.

Eliminate white beans & fried baloney from ya pre-ride diet....................
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobototmy.
    03 1800C

Well, I can tell you this, after messing around with about 5 different maps, it appears that most of them take a bunch of fuel away at 80-100 percent throttle (Jardine maps) at all rpm's above 1500. That being said, without fuel management, you are going to be rich when you crack the throttle like that. Without fuel management, you are going to have peaks and valleys with your air fuel mixture. I had the opposite problem with the stock map, every time I came to a quick stop, I could smell fuel, now with a map made for Jardine drags, I don't have that problem.
    02 1800c p/commander jardine drags

That makes sense.
    Thank you Brewster!

This is bugging me still. Now that I am aware of it I am smelling it more. I did check the tank vent under the tank and nothing is wet or no smell there, all hoses seem connected and tight.

Would I smell gas if it's running too rich?

Thanks again

Yep, I could smell gas on mine, and after looking at the map, it was very rich. Maybe pull the plugs and compare them with the ones on Bares site and see if you are running rich or lean.

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/

I had the same problem after doing desmog.My 1800R is at the dealer now having power com.and hyper added I will let you know if the gas smell is still there when I pick it up.I also had Vtx Exhast type change to my pipes but there was no gas smell after that just after desmog

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster
    Yep, I could smell gas on mine, and after looking at the map, it was very rich. Maybe pull the plugs and compare them with the ones on Bares site and see if you are running rich or lean.

Thanks, I just did that, the dealer had put in Iridium 6's a few months ago, and I changed them out 3 days ago for iridium 5's, so probably too soon to know if they're fouling.

but I am getting sick of this gas smell, damnit

[
    Thanks, I just did that, the dealer had put in Iridium 6's a few months ago, and I changed them out 3 days ago for iridium 5's, so probably too soon to know if they're fouling.

but I am getting sick of this gas smell, damnit[/quote]

Sounds like you need a power commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster

Way back when... we also had problems with the gas cap not sealing right on the tank opening. Several were replaced... some got everything keyed alike... some didn't.
    |
    The seat pin mod "inventor".
    First with the Dakota Digital 5000 dual set-up
    |
    2008 Can-Am Spyder
    1998 Yellow Honda Valkyrie

Default gas smell

My gas smell started after I desmogged(is that a word?)Just had the dealer add hyper charger and power commander and the smell is still there when I get on it but not as strong as it was.I have a Honda 21" windshield and I wonder if Im getting the smell from the Exhast(stock but VTX type change)as its running richer.The smell started right after my desmog so it has somthing to do with that.We cut a larger hole in the end of the box and I wonder if that could be it?

When you desmog you remove the fresh air injection from the bike - the fresh air mixes with the unburnt gas in your exhaust fumes and helps to complete the burning process. This is what all that popping you wanted rid of was - unburnt gas exploding when it collided with the fresh air.

Now you have this unburnt gas coming out uncombusted since it had no fresh air to assist it - and in turn you have more "gas" in your exhaust fumes.

I haven't desmogged and this thing smells like a frigging gas station.
    I guess I am gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a fuel manager, 'cept does this smell mean I need to lean it out? Cuz if it does it limits the FM's available, then, does it have to be dyno mapped? OR can one trust the downloaded maps?

(I have x-box k&n and Jardine drags on a 1800S)

thanks y'all

The powercommander can take away or add fuel and is your best choice. I have had good luck with downloaded maps. You can tweak the map yourself if it is slightly rich. But, most of the downloaded maps are pretty close.

Close the air box and see if the smell goes away. It could well be spit-back from the throttle body.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Albert Einstein

I put the closed airbox back on it tonight, still stanks. No visible gas leaks, breather tube isn't plugged (I blew in it) Funny thing, if it is coming from the exhaust, why am I smelling it up front (I do have a windshield)

I'm hoping for a Labor Day sale and guess I will bite the bullet and buy a PCIII, but damn I hope that fixes it. It is driving me nutz and that is a very short trip.

It's not just when I go WOT, it's whenever I accelerate and let off on it, which is all the time since you can't keep that acceleration on long on this bike. I pulled my plugs yesterday (about 200 miles on a new set of Iridiums) and they looked fine, little bit of carbon but tan on the electrode body. Didn't look flooded rich.

Only dyno I know of in Oregon is a HD shop in Eugene, Coen's. Can they be trusted?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.