240 tire 16 or 18 inch rim ?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 240 tire 16 or 18 inch rim ?

Default 240 tire 16 or 18 inch rim ?

when doing a 240 kit on a 1800-C is there any reason to move up to a 18 inch rim or is it Ok to stay with the 16 inch. The apperance of the two tires should be same; height & width when mounted. I am thinking the main diff. would be unable to move up to a 250 or 260 tire. am I missing anything else ?

thanks
    mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Have you calculated your frame ground clearance with the 16" rim? Would that be a concern?
    MONSTER...sweeeeeet

That's about all I got to say about that.

would that be a problem since bike has a 16 inch from factory ?

Mike

A 240/16 will not look like a 240/18 I believe the side wall of the 240/16 is not a low profile although I am not sure I have never seen one!
    Full on Custom Not much Honda Left!!! THANK GOD!!!!

I put a 16" 240 tire on my bike, I think it gives a more dragster look.....and like Ron said in a previous post...."why put something on your bike that anyone else has" .......18" 240's are everywhere
    [/img]

In answer to your original question, no there is no real reason to have to move up to a 18" wheel when you go to a 240.

bump

I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of preference. I know when I get mine it will certainly be a 16". Too much wheel is just gaudy, like those ridiculous Honda Civics with the giant wide wheels. I like the way rubber looks from the back and the side. Looks great Night Train.
    04 VTX 1800C Orange Flame-RH Shorty-PCIII-Thunder Air-DeSmogged
    http://www.riffster.com/vtx/main.htm

Default 16 versus 18

Ok, 16th tire looks good from side as well, but what about wheel diameter? Should be smaller - and result: clearance and speed if you do not modify transmission.

The outside diameter of the tire is the same as using an 18" rim, the 240/16 has a bigger side wall.
    [/img]

Default Re: 240 tire 16 or 18 inch rim ?

Quote Originally Posted by mca1989
    when doing a 240 kit on a 1800-C is there any reason to move up to a 18 inch rim or is it Ok to stay with the 16 inch. The apperance of the two tires should be same; height & width when mounted. I am thinking the main diff. would be unable to move up to a 250 or 260 tire. am I missing anything else ?

thanks
    mike
    I do the 16" 240 set ups for guys all the time. I prefer it persosally to the 18" 240 for a number of reasons.
    The overall diameter of the 16" vs the 18' is slighlty smaller thus putting you a bit closer to the ground in the back end. That is a plus for the 16".
    The 16" 240 tire is only made by Metzler, you will find that there is a signifciant difference in the contruction of the tire in a 16 vs 18". The 18" is a flimsy tire by comparision. The 16" has more sidewall and tread belts than its 18" counterpart.
    The 16" tire offers a better ride that a 18" tire all things being equal.
    You will find that a bike with a rigid frame or a very stiff rear will benefit from the extra sidewall of a 16" tire.
    Also, the 16" is unequalled in looks. I too want to see the tire. When you look at a 240 x 16 from the side, it is obvious you ar running a fat tire.
    On an 18" set up, you really have to walk around the back of the bike to be sure of what the bike is running.
    I just did a 240 set up with a 9.5" wide wheel and it's smoken hot.
    Typically, the 240 x 16" would be mounted on a traditional 8.5" wide wheel.
    I am finding that when mounted to a slighlty wider wheel such as a 9", the tire looks just awsome and looks more like a 250/260.
    Much of this is personal preference. Some like to see wheel and some like to see tire. The benefit of the 18" is that everyone in the world makes a 8.5" x 18" wheel. In the case of the 16" wheel, I dont know anyone who makes a 16" x 8.5" in a cast wheel.
    That is why we go the custom built wheel route.
    previous owner of Gateway Xtreme Motorcycles and Chrome exchange

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.