Water Injection on Motorcycle
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Injection on Motorcycle

Default Water Injection on Motorcycle

All quotes are Direct from their web site. The have a Motorcycle version.
    http://aquatune.com/index.asp

Would You Believe This?

More horse power and a higher torque range!
    From 25% and up increase in fuel economy!
    Up to 30% increase in horse power!
    Gets rid of harmful carbon deposits!
    Pass previously failed DEQ checkouts!
    Now available for all motorcycles, including 2-cycle engines. Also for boats and all racing applications.
    We have a 30-day Money-back guarantee if your unit does not does not give you the results installed as under the guidelines set out! (Please see Disclaimer)
    Soon to be available for all diesel applications
    Processors are now also available in high polish chrome finish
    Will not void new car warranty. See US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sec. 2301-2312 of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

Water injection has been used for years, before WWII even. They used it is WWII fighters, problem is...where to put the water tank on the X

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike
    Water injection has been used for years, before WWII even. They used it is WWII fighters, problem is...where to put the water tank on the X
    Thats what they say "It’s been well known for many years, and still is today, that the steam engine is the most powerful of all engines and still used on aircraft carriers for catapulting jet fighters off the carrier. Also, the water injection was used on the P-38 fighter planes during WW II and at their high altitudes gave the engine a whopping 68% more horse power. Therefore, at 2500 feet above sea level you could expect 38% more horse power; of course, that does depend on the condition of the engine and how well it has been tuned."

They have a motorcycle kit looks like MSR bottles to me.
    Lot of Testimonials
    http://aquatune.com/testimonials.html
    Even Dyno results on a few HD's

The HEART of DIXIE, just to the right actually.

Why of course, don't you? If it is in print it must be true. I am already running Slick 50, Duralube and one of those vortex air intake thingies in my 4 wheelers. Adding this will just be icing on the cake. I will probably get near 80 or 90 mpg in my Element with this baby. Just wish I could find a vortex air thingie to fit a Thunder Hurricane, 55 mpg would be nice.

Well it would be easy to test the hp gain Dyno it turned off the Dyno it turned on. They have a 30-day Money-back guarantee. 15% to 30% more horsepower
    I might try it for 6 HP gain.

Water injection is used to slow the flame front in the combustion chamber on highley modified engines thereby reducing detonation. For our purposes it's practically useless. The addition of water injection on an unmodified engine is pointless. Claims of higher milage and hp is false. That you can believe.
    Some current rides: 73 Yamaha RD 350, 85 Yamaha RZ 350, 79 Yamaha Daytona, 82 Honda V45 Sabre, 03 Aprilia Tuono Racing, 02 Honda VTX 1800C, 06 Yamaha YZF-R1 Anniversary (LE Paint Scheme), 06 Yamaha YZF-R1 Anniversary LE (The Real Deal), 02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Day Only Bike, 08 Honda Goldwing Airbagger

Water injection is of no real hp benifit by itself. It was used in conjuction with other fuel enhancments to produce additional hp. In the case of the P47 Thunderbolt, it used additional fuel an alcohol injection with the water to produce additonal power. This "combat only" hp rating could only be used for approxamatly one minute of total flight time. Again.........the water was nessarry to keep the engine from comming apart due to the high manifold pressure of the huge turbocharger and added fuel to produce a tremendous boost in p[ower. The water injection dosen't add any real hp gain by itself.....it just allows you to push the engine performance with other things like air boost and fuels.
    Some current rides: 73 Yamaha RD 350, 85 Yamaha RZ 350, 79 Yamaha Daytona, 82 Honda V45 Sabre, 03 Aprilia Tuono Racing, 02 Honda VTX 1800C, 06 Yamaha YZF-R1 Anniversary (LE Paint Scheme), 06 Yamaha YZF-R1 Anniversary LE (The Real Deal), 02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Day Only Bike, 08 Honda Goldwing Airbagger

Quote Originally Posted by bluestreak
    Water injection is used to slow the flame front in the combustion chamber on highley modified engines thereby reducing detonation. For our purposes it's practically useless. The addition of water injection on an unmodified engine is pointless. Claims of higher milage and hp is false. That you can believe.
    I submitted it to the Local Fox station to do their Deal or Dud test. Maybe they will test it .

I love these claims. Years ago in JC Whitney’s catalog they had similar gadgets. At any rate, before you can employ the hydrogen in water you need to split the molecule and harvest the hydrogen and oxygen in separate containers then join them again in the cylinder. If you want to split the two without the use of electricity you need to generate nearly 9000 degrees of heat... something engines can’t remotely get near. Engineering wise, anything taking up space oxygen should be occupying derates the output of the engine. For example, a saturated atmosphere derates output by 2%. The example they used “nitro and glycerine” gave me a laugh. The general makeup of oil is carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. I defy anyone to scrape some carbon off a piston and put it in water, wake up in the morning and have a gooey substance resembling oil... chemical bonds are a little more complex. If you were to inject methanol (extremely high in oxygen) you’d get somewhere... so much so you’d need to rewrite your maps (oh no, hope I didn’t give anyone an idea).

There is truth to adding water to settle detonation as it does slow the flame front and it does limit the output of the engine... As far as WW II craft go, water injection was used but there was a substantial amount of alcohol added as well. Reason being so the water wouldn’t freeze at altitude or in freezing temps. You’ll still get the alcohol to burn but the water is leaving the tail pipe as nothing more than vapour. Anyone believe in snake oil?
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Bills VTX
    Anyone believe in snake oil?
    All those people that by that crap advertised on TV on the shopping channel.

I'm not an engineer, but doesn't water flashing to steam increase in volume and thereby pressure in the combustion chamber? I know Click and Clack, and even Pat Goss (Motorweek) have said on very old engines a quick spray of water can sometimes help things, but on our engines or any new engine.... this sounds risky at best.

Not to mention that if you ever had an engine problem and tried to get Honda to work on it under warranty..... Telling them you inject water into your engine will probably result in a big belly laugh and a "NO WAY WE'RE COVERING THAT" response.
    2003 1800C Candy Orange - Totally Stock.

You are correct. It will raise compression.....possiably dangerously high if you sprayed in too much water. They advocate that to remove carbon deposits. Water must be precisly metered to have benificial affects on performance.

Water injection will be of no benefit unless you raise your compression ratio to something like 14:1 or install a big honking turbo or blower. Then the water will do some good. Injecting nitromethane on the other hand.......

You are correct. It will raise compression.....possiably dangerously high if you sprayed in too much water. They advocate that to remove carbon deposits. Water must be precisly metered to have benificial affects on performance.
    Well thats what they claim "AquaTune is a highly precise injection system consisting of air injection, water injection and an ultra-sonic barometric pressure chamber."

I doubt they split atoms but yes a atomized water vapor,2 quarts of water per 15 gallons of gas.
    " also add a 1/1 ratio of 70% by volume Isopropyl alcohol for added horsepower"

These things come arround every few years I put a water vapor injection system on my car back arround 1970 after seeing an ad in the newspaper. As I recall it had similar claims.

My milage actually dropped 1 mpg when I used it.

If they really worked I don't think it would have taken this long to come back again.

Now I live in south Texas and am pretty sure there is enough humiidty in the combustion stream already.

Thorne,

For what it's worth the by product of all combustion is water... whether it's TNT or gas or diesel... the latter two we'll discuss as the end results are the same.

If you add water to the combustion chamber you're slowing down the flame front, cooling down the ignition of the combustable mixture and inhibiting its effectiveness as water turns to steam. In effect, no different than pouring water on a camp fire... you'll be eating cold beans from the can instead of an entree, hot and steamy... End result might be the same... putt, sputter, putt, putt..... hope I'm up wind.

At any rate, there ya are.......
    Cogito Ergo Sum

wow sounds great gave a headache reading bout it, and I hope it does work on deisel soon cause diesel excursion is killing me,12.8mpg average.
    Deffenatly like to hear more on it, like if any1 puts it on a bike, not for mpg but 15-30 ponys would be GREAT.

05 1800FIII ... Got Ouzo?
    Animule activists are more opposed to women in fur than MC's in leather, cause they like us!

In the case of the P47 Thunderbolt, it used additional fuel an alcohol injection with the water to produce additonal power. This "combat only" hp rating could only be used for approxamatly one minute of total flight time. Again.........the water was nessarry to keep the engine from comming apart due to the high manifold pressure of the huge turbocharger and added fuel to produce a tremendous boost in power.
    I've flown a P51 Mustang, and on takeoff you hold the brakes, run the manifold pressure up to 65 inches, hold as much right rudder as you can to compensate for the torque, and release the brakes. In some fairly high performance cars we talk about 4-12 inches of turbo boost, this is about 35 inches of boost. Granted the initial compression ratio is lower, but we're also talking some serious horsepower. What a ride! Aerobatics take on a new meaning in a P51! The roll rate is better than 360 degrees per second.

Back during the gas crunch in California back in the 70's, I looked at J.C. Whitney's gas improving gadgets. All told, if I installed everyone they had and they lived up to their claim(s), I would never have had to fill my tank again, in fact, at some point I would have to siphon off the excess!
    Cheers, Wyatt

Back during the gas crunch in California back in the 70's, I looked at J.C. Whitney's gas improving gadgets. All told, if I installed everyone they had and they lived up to their claim(s), I would never have had to fill my tank again, in fact, at some point I would have to siphon off the excess!
    That's funny there
    Anybody remember cow magnets? I loved them. People would tape them to their fuel lines to get better mileage. (didn't work btw) But when they took them off after a few years, the fine metal particles they had trapped in the fuel lines would break loose and stick in the needle and seat in the carburetor. And I was a mechanic that rebuilt carburetors

Ahhhh, good times....
    Arrogant American

Current bikes:
    2002 VTX1800R-Black
    2002 Kawasaki KLR250-Green/silver

September 2005 issue of Popular Mechanics had a test of the
    Aquatune device on a 5.4 liter Ford V-8 F350 truck.

Cost for the aquatune unit was $399 from an add in the
    back of a magazine.

The results were 20 fewer horsepower (tested on a dyno)
    and 20% poorer fuel economy.

Sounds like the editors of the magazine saved a lot of people
    a bunch of money.
    2003 VTX1800 C model Retro fenders

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote7864
    September 2005 issue of Popular Mechanics had a test of the
    Aquatune device on a 5.4 liter Ford V-8 F350 truck.

Cost for the aquatune unit was $399 from an add in the
    back of a magazine.

The results were 20 fewer horsepower (tested on a dyno)
    and 20% poorer fuel economy.

Sounds like the editors of the magazine saved a lot of people
    a bunch of money.
    Thanks for the info I will pass it along.

Just something I've found. Interesting read.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html
    M STAR KMA

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.