New WI Legislation - stiffer penalties for Failure to yield
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New WI Legislation - stiffer penalties for Failure to yield

Default New WI Legislation - stiffer penalties for Failure to yield

Unfortunate events last summer touched many of us deeply. Under current law, penalties for failure to yield first offense are $20-$50 and any subsequent offense within a year $50-$100.

LRB 3040/1 Roadway User's Responsibility Act was introduced last week in the State Legislature and include several important items including awareness components and stiffer penalities in Failure to yield. This bill will greatly increase penalties when bodily harm occurs in failure to yield violations.

Failure to Yield resulting in bodily harm will be
    - a Class C missdemeanor
    - operating privilege suspended for 30 days
    - up to $500 fine and up to 30 days imprisonment
    - required to attend traffic safety school including motorcycle, pedestrian, and bicycle awareness

Failure to Yield resulting in great bodily harm will be
    - a Class B missdemeanor
    - operating privilege suspended for 90 days
    - up to $1000 fine and up to 90 days imprisonment
    - required to attend traffic safety school including motorcycle, pedestrian,
    and bicycle awareness

Failure to Yield resulting in death will be
    - a Class A missdemeanor
    - operating privilege suspended for 9 months
    - up to $10000 fine and up to nine months imprisonment
    - required to attend traffic safety school including motorcycle, pedestrian, and bicycle awareness

In addition the bill requires all drivers education courses to include information on motorcycle,pedestrian and biccycle awareness approved by recognized motorocycle, pedestrian, or bycycle safety organizations.

Sen. Dave Zien, Rep. Don Pridemore, Rep. Mark Honadel, and Rep. Marlin
    Schneider are working hard to make this bill into a law. ABATE of WI helped them with the drafting and direction of this bill.

We can help them by contacting our sate legislators this week asking them to support LRB 3040/1 Roadway User's Responsibility Act. The more constiuents they hear from the more likely they will be to support the bill.

You can find out who your state representatives are at
    Who Are My Legislators?

WI State Senators email addresses

WI State Representatives email addresses

Thanks for your help,
    Robert Zieroth
    Bob Z

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

OMG Dave Zien is sponsoring useful legislation?!?! And he got Marlin on board!!

Sorry, I'm jaded. After working in downtown Madison for 12+ years, I've had my fill of politicians. My theory for voting is to almost always vote against the incumbents unless they've done something that IMO is worthwhile.

Thanks for the update, I'll be contacting my reps.
    "Nora - you rock!" - Rikki Rockett, July 2008
    2003 1800C Orange with a buncha stuff
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST ABS. Genmar risers, carbon look tank pads
    2006 BMW R1200GS. Silver Jesse cases, some other farkles.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.