Suspension fluid, fork oil or ATF
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suspension fluid, fork oil or ATF

Default Suspension fluid, fork oil or ATF

Is there any difference between the first two?

Also, some guys with older bikes, i.e. VF1100S, etc. have been known to use automotive ATF in the forks. Now, I don't know jack about this subject so I could use some enlightenment.

Thanks,
    Dahun

2004 VTX1300C, silver.... shweeet...

IF humans cause "global warming" in the 20th Century, then what caused the "mini ice age" in the 18th Century?

I feel infinitely safer in a room full of fully loaded "assault weapons" with a hair trigger than with a felon holding a fork.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Use fork oil.

From progressives site:
    http://www.progressivesuspension.com/tech.html

"Fork Oil Viscosity

Most motorcycle manufacturers recommend ATF (automatic transmission fluid) for fork oil. This has excellent lubricating and cleaning qualities but we do not recommend ATF oil for one main reason. When it is manufactured it has no viscosity specification other than it must fall between 5 wgt and 17 wgt. One time you buy ATF it might be 5 wgt and the next time it could be 17 wgt. We do not feel that this is acceptable for motorcycle forks. Therefore we recommend most major brands of motorcycle fork oil. As a general recommendation 10 wgt works well for most motorcycles."
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic173_1.gif
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    '04 1300 C, orange, for now
    shut up and ride

I couldn't believe the post title when I saw it -- What Poison said... period.

3rd, 4th, and 5th
    I have a 04 1300R. Mods=Pro Hypercharger, Barons stage 3 jet kit, Samson Street Sweeper pipe, and just added 100 led light from Custom Dynamics.
    9-11-01 never forget. 343
    If your going to hell get line jack a$$ Im 1st.

Dork question, my bike has 5100 miles on it, when/how often does the fork oil need replacing.
    2004 Black - VTX 1300 Retro, Samson Long Cannons, Kuryaken Hypercharger Pro w/ K&N, Dynojet, Hondaline Sissybar, 16" 1 1/2" thick Ape Hangers w/ 4" Risers, White Walls and thousand$ in other stuff!
    My Shop www.clinesbusinessequipment.com

Quote Originally Posted by jdandt
    Dork question, my bike has 5100 miles on it, when/how often does the fork oil need replacing.
    Whenever you have the time it is a nice thing to do.. the factory stuff usually looks and smells like fish oil.

You need to check it every 8,000 miles as far as replacing hmm I have never replaced mine on anyother bike. So not sure. Do have one question for you where did you get those apes and are them factory risers that came with the S...
    I have a 04 1300R. Mods=Pro Hypercharger, Barons stage 3 jet kit, Samson Street Sweeper pipe, and just added 100 led light from Custom Dynamics.
    9-11-01 never forget. 343
    If your going to hell get line jack a$$ Im 1st.

I like to change it every 2 yrs / 24K...or try to time it for when I have the wheel off for tires, brakes......
    You have to take them (the forks) off the bike and dump / pump / flush them out.
    You dont need to check it every 8K.
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic173_1.gif
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    '04 1300 C, orange, for now
    shut up and ride

In my opinion it's good to get the factory oil out asap, maybe in the winter when riding is limited.

I just changed mine this weekend since I was adding some Progressive springs. The forks had uneven amounts of oil, and it looked like different oil in each shock.

I added some 10wt BelRay fork oil so I should be good to go for a while. I change the fork oil every 2yrs in my bikes, the stuff comes out nasty looking.
    2004 Honda VTX1300C
    2006 Honda CBR1000RR
    2006 Triumph Scrambler

F-14A Tomcat VF-33 Starfighters

Mostly when they leak.
    Otherwise
    Poison's recomendation is reasonable.
    Most problems with the VTX1300; can
    be traced back to the last thing done, to it... by the owner.
    The challenge; separating the wheat from the chaff.

ATF and Fork oil are similar; the explanation above attributed to Progressive makes sense. Suspension fluid is intended for shocks and hydraulic pre-load adjusters -- do not use in forks.

prs
    "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

2004C

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke a Harley
    You need to check it every 8,000 miles as far as replacing hmm I have never replaced mine on anyother bike. So not sure. Do have one question for you where did you get those apes and are them factory risers that came with the S...
    Both can be seen and purchased from here, great guys at this place. The other thing is they are here in Cal., I receive my 'ground' shipped orders in 1/2 days.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/mer ... =1803-1505
    2004 Black - VTX 1300 Retro, Samson Long Cannons, Kuryaken Hypercharger Pro w/ K&N, Dynojet, Hondaline Sissybar, 16" 1 1/2" thick Ape Hangers w/ 4" Risers, White Walls and thousand$ in other stuff!
    My Shop www.clinesbusinessequipment.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.