Honda VTX Forum banner

Rear wheel removal follow-up 1800C

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Chicago-Spike 
#1 ·
I finally got the rear wheel off for a tire change. That axle was seized on there so bad I had to drive the damn thing out with a hammer and chisel almost to the very end of the final drive. I sanded everything down and put on moly paste so hopefully I won't go through that again. Now for my question. How can you tell if the splines are lined up when you install the wheel? Is it pretty obvious or can it be off slightly and you wouldn't really notice?

The reason I ask is because I put everything back and now the brake pin does not pull back enough to allow the caliper assembly to fall into place. The pin did pull back enough to take the caliper off (this is with the exhaust in place). I'm beginning to think that the wheel isn't seated all the way onto the final drive but I can't see it to be certain. I should have marked where the dust ring lined up on the wheel hub, but didn't. I did engage 1st gear and the wheel did not turn except for a little back and forth play so I believe the splines are lined up but maybe not fully.

I suppose I could move the exhaust pipe out a little in order to get more room to pull the pin back enough but I'm concerned that having to do that means something is not quite right and I may wind up damaging something.

Any thoughts? Does someone have measurements from the edge of the dust ring to the inner ridge of the wheel hub? That would confirm it is all the way on.

Thanks for any suggestions.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have the wheel, spacers and brake caliper mount bracket all in between the swingarm and the axle torqued to specs, it's seated correctly.

Sometimes when you remove the wheels, once the weight is off the axle, the shocks will pull or push the swingaerm and now what once cleared the exhaust, no longer will.

#3 ·
If you have the wheel, spacers and brake caliper mount bracket all in between the swingarm and the axle torqued to specs, it's seated correctly.

Sometimes when you remove the wheels, once the weight is off the axle, the shocks will pull or push the swingaerm and now what once cleared the exhaust, no longer will.
Thanks Spike. I haven't been on the board in a while but I seem to remember you selling the VTX and getting a HD. Looks like you have the Victory now. How do you like it compared to the HD?

#4 ·
Same but different? They both have plusses and minuses. The Vic has a shorter seat height and that is a major plus to me. The 2 Harleys I had were great for over 50,000 miles. Now it's Vics turn for a few years while I wait to see if Honda does anything in the v-twin bagger arena :thumbup:

#5 ·
sweet ride

Same but different? They both have plusses and minuses. The Vic has a shorter seat height and that is a major plus to me. The 2 Harleys I had were great for over 50,000 miles. Now it's Vics turn for a few years while I wait to see if Honda does anything in the v-twin bagger arena :thumbup:
That is one sweet ride spike!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.