Honda VTX Forum banner

Who's planning on going to Sturgis in 2015?

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  sTeVo 
#1 ·
So who here is planning on attending Sturgis in 2015? Sturgis 2015 will be the 75th anniversary. Should make for great trip!!!

We should start talking about who's all going and for what time frame. In 2015, the dates will be August 3rd thru Aug. 9th.

For myself I will be able to go for the entire thing plus riding time to and from. So that would be about 2 weeks. Not sure where I want to stay... Done the Buffalo Chips and the worst part is partying all night and riding in the dirt, dust, and mud. Food and concerts were good! I wouldn't miss the Chips unless they had some really good concerts. There are other places to camp at that are cleaner and quieter.

What's your ideas for where to stay?
What days can you go for?
How long do you want to take to get there and back?
Should we make reservations some place to stay at or play it by ear?
What other questions should we talk about?

Post up your ideas!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Really want go! Just saw Mariners schedule, and I'd lose $2,400 in work that week:(
Will have time to think about it though!:thumbup:

#3 ·
Really want go! Just saw Mariners schedule, and I'd lose $2,400 in work that week:(
Will have time to think about it though!:thumbup:
sTeVo, depends on if your going to make a reservation somewhere or not. Bet most of the good motels/rentals are already taken.

Camping is probably open till it gets real close to August. Jon found a nice place to camp at in 2005 after getting there. But that will be 10 years ago when we get there next year and I wonder what it's like now???

Ya also need to count the min 2 days riding there and back.... I prefer a min 3 days and 4 is even better! According to Google Maps it's 1110 miles from Tukwila to Sturgis which they say is 16 hours and 57 minutes driving time. Longer on a bike!

Just a fyi...

#5 ·
Heres how its looking....leaving thursday july 30th...stop in Butte for night..next stop..Gillette..get up and hit Devils Tower then Sturgis....hit Rushmore..Crazy Horse,ect on sunday...play at Sturgis mon. Through wed....head home on thursday...
That way i only lose 3 days work and will miss the weekend madness

My buddy Mowoc from Colorado will be staying at Glencoe..he'll be my tour/ party activies guide

#6 ·
Heres how its looking....leaving thursday july 30th...stop in Butte for night..next stop..Gillette..get up and hit Devils Tower then Sturgis....hit Rushmore..Crazy Horse,ect on sunday...play at Sturgis mon. Through wed....head home on thursday...

My buddy Mowoc from Colorado will be staying at Glencoe..he'll be my tour/ party activies guide
I'm definitely going, and my buddy AOGkid is coming too. We are thinking of a plan like Steve-Os. I'd be up for that plan.

I've been looking at camping options. I'm up for a camp site, but would need to be able to shower and have electricity. I know some of them do. I'm gonna have to reserve something soon though as they are filling up.

#7 ·
I'm definitely going, and my buddy AOGkid is coming too. We are thinking of a plan like Steve-Os. I'd be up for that plan.

I've been looking at camping options. I'm up for a camp site, but would need to be able to shower and have electricity. I know some of them do. I'm gonna have to reserve something soon though as they are filling up.
My friend is getting there friday before rally to reserve spots in the shade..theres showers..will ask about power..place is Glencoe...party central im told..right now its $275 for week.concerts included....then going to $350 soon

#8 ·
I don't think I'll be up for going to Sturgis but I might do the Testie-Fest in Rock Creek MT. It's always about a week before Surgis and It's at the halfway point to Sturgis. It's a 3 day weekend of drinking and all sorts of debauchery! If you have morals, don't go! :joke:
It gets kind of crazy, all the mores of society go out the window at the Testi-Fest. nojoke
It's crazy as hell but a lot of fun just watching the crazy stuff that people do! I can attest from my own personal experience that fried bull testicles do not taste like chicken! nojoke

I tried a plate of them the last time I was there and once was enough for me. I had to go to the bar right afterwards and drink a couple of super-sized Bloody Mary's to get the nasty bull nut taste out of my mouth! It's been about 5 years since I've been there and I'm about ready for a repeat trip.
If'n anyone is interested in going to the Testi-Fest next summer let me know.

#9 ·
I would love to go but couldn't commit far enough in advance to get a place to stay. I'd love to ride the area but maybe outside of the 75th craziness. I have to go around the Great Lakes E-W, 24 hours to go under, 27 hours to go over (nicer route)

#10 ·
#11 ·
#12 ·
This is where I stayed 10 years ago http://www.elkviewcampground.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=3 Their rates have doubled, it's now about $30 a day :lol: It was a really nice quiet little place 5 minutes from Sturgis. They have showers, food and beer. Some nights they had little bar bands. We had a good time there
Thanks Jon! Was going to ask what the name of the place was. Wonder how fast they fill up now? Or if reservations are needed now???

Thanks again!

#14 ·
I went to Sturgis last year and stayed at the Lamphere Ranch (www.lamphereranch.com). I would recommend staying there. It had some decent shady camping spots. It's not far from the Full Throttle Saloon and the Buffalo Chip. People were coming and going to this campground while the rally was going on. I made reservations ahead of time, but we could have stayed there without reservations. I would be interested in going back again for the 75h anniversary.

#15 ·
My wife and I are going, leaving July 30th arriving on Sunday and staying thru Saturday then on to Saskatoon Canada. We have been going for about the last 8 years now. Missed going this year due to getting sick. We stay in a house just 2 blocks from main st. We share a daylight basement that has 7 rooms, common sitting room, kitchenette, and restroom with a shower, with other people that have gone to Sturgis bike week. We have made many friends there and look forward to reuniting with those that return each year, and to meet new guest to the house.

Attachments

#16 ·
Some thing Tracy and I will have to think about. Went in 06 & 13. I don't know if Tracy would like the camping thing though.
You really need 3 days to get there, do it in two is tuff on the body in the 100+ heat.

#18 ·
We booked a spot at Shade Valley 11 miles outside of Sturgis. Its an RV spot with electric only. Everything is was taken. I probable wouldn't wait too long to reserve something.

#22 ·
Sounds like an adventure I'd like to participate in. Anyone from or around Los Angeles going?
Randy, you may want to post that question in the California State board. Not sure that many folks up here in WA. State would know that.

Your more than welcome to ride up here and join some of us that are going!

I know I'm planning on going but have yet to make plans. I care for my father but will have someone to cover for me for as long as I want to be gone. :) I would like to take a few days to get there and stay long enough to check it all out again. Then enjoy a nice ride back! Went there in 2005 and 2010 and had a great time. In 2015, the 75th Anniversary of the Sturgis event, should make for a great trip! :)

#23 ·

Sounds like good times; room for one more on this ride? Next year's Vacation Calendar is passing around the office, and I'm starting to solidify plans for my summer.

#24 ·
My friend AOGKid and I are gonna go for sure. Be interested in riding with a group if one forms up. What days are folks looking at going?

#25 ·
Sounds like good times; room for one more on this ride? Next year's Vacation Calendar is passing around the office, and I'm starting to solidify plans for my summer.
ya brother!! :thumbup: Hoping my cousin and some of his Harley buddies are with us. I'm on a fairly tight schedule

My friend AOGKid and I are gonna go for sure. Be interested in riding with a group if one forms up. What days are folks looking at going?
check out my earlier itinerary..see if that works!!:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.