Honda VTX Forum banner

Antifreeze Leak

979 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Chicago-Spike 
#1 ·
So found a puddle under the bike the other morning. Thought it may have been Brake fluid from Clutch Slave. Felt oily and didn't look green or smell like antifreeze. Well actually got it up on the lift today and it's antifreeze. It was coming from the fitting that goes into the bottom of the water pump. Tightened the single bolt that holds it in.

Question is am I gonna have to replace the o ring in there. I didn't turn the bolt very far. So not so sure it's gonna fix my problem.

#5 ·
Thanks Spike, I'll look again but sure it wasn't coming from there or the other spot other ones said was the Weep hole. The pics that were posted isn't where it's coming from. The bolt just below is the spot. With water marks on the tube back to the radiator.

#6 ·
Having been through a water pump replacement my gut tells me no matter what you think you are seeing that the time has come for a new water pump. VTX's are notorious for going through water pumps. When I replaced mine I switched over to Engine Ice Coolant and hopefully with the properties that Engine Ice has in it I'll get more life out of my water pump. So far I've got one more year out of the second water pump than the original one from the factory. Good luck.

#7 ·
This is not advice, but simply a statement of fact. I was in TX on a 4k mi road trip when this same problem started on Beatrix. It was a very slow leak, and not constant, mostly just right after being run. I would get a puddle maybe a couple inches in diameter, and no noticeable change in the coolant level reservoir. I decided that I would simply watch it carefully rather than trying to find a mechanic on the road. By the time I got back home to MT it had quit. It was the damndest thing, but she hasn't leaked a drop since. Had the stealer look over it, just to make sure....no sign of a leak. :dontknow:

Here's hoping the magic X fairy fixes your machine as well!

#8 ·
I've seen on here that they eat pumps. My last one was 3yrs and 30k without a leak. Except for the normal ones from the crossover. This one is 5yrs old with 19k. But it only had 800 on it when I got it 2yrs ago. So looks like my luck has ran out.

So I guess I'll pull it apart and get a better look. Does anyone make a better aftermarket water pump. Or am I heading to the Stealer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.