Honda VTX Forum banner

Really did it this time

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  nacra_racer 
#1 ·
I was changing the oil filter on the 1300 and it was a little too tight. So, I tried the Big Larry way of getting it off...sticking a screwdriver thru the filter and use it for leverage (which worked for me in the past). This time, when I turned the screwdriver, the casing almost totally ripped off. The screwdriver tore thru it like butter. I tried a strap wrench but the bike is too low to the ground and I dont have a lift.
Any ideas on how to fix this?

#2 ·
Thats the same thing that happened to me the first time I changed the oil. I got it on some 2x4's and had enough room to get a filter wrench and get it off. I also cussed a lot and was greatly pissed. You might only be able to move it a 1/4 inch at a time but its better than nothing. Just make sure you don't over tighten it again. I also got one of those caps that are 1/4 inch drive to get the filter loose. Not enough room to remove it but once I get it loose I take it off...

#3 ·
I was changing the oil filter on the 1300 and it was a little too tight. So, I tried the Big Larry way of getting it off...sticking a screwdriver thru the filter and use it for leverage (which worked for me in the past). This time, when I turned the screwdriver, the casing almost totally ripped off. The screwdriver tore thru it like butter. I tried a strap wrench but the bike is too low to the ground and I dont have a lift.
Any ideas on how to fix this?

A big set of channel locks will work or a set of filter pliers that you can purchase at a parts store.
If you have some help, you can lay the bike on it's side to better get at it. I'd use grass if possible. It's not a perfect solution, but it'll work.

#9 ·
When/if you do get it off, buy this for next time

For $12 on line or $15 at your Honda shop, it might be worth it
The only caveat with this wrench is that it really does not work if you use the longer 3.25 inch filter. Works with the 2.5 inch one. At least it doesn't work on my bike as I use the longer filter. I would try the channel locks. Thats usually what I use.

#10 ·
I bought a three piece strap wrench set from Harbor Freight that has served me well over many applications and vehicles. I go to them first and they have yet to let me down.

Don't forget to put some oil on the new filter's o-ring. I always just hand tighten my oil filters and have yet to have an issue with leaking filters. I have had to use the screwdriver method a few times, but never had your issue. Good luck.

Walter

#14 ·
I agree. Oil the new filters o-ring well and do NOT torque it down. Just hand tight and you'll never have to use a screwdriver again. I've done it this way since I was a teen and I have never had an oil filter leak or come off :thumbup:
I install mine hand tight. Once it seats, an additional 1/2 turn.

#17 ·
Finally fixed it!!!

After a taking a little time to lower my frustration level, I finally fixed the problem. Heres what I did:

Channel locks and any other types of wrench were useless. The casing was so ripped up, it was pretty much hanging off the back plate. So, I just ripped the casing and the media off. I was gonna work on the backflow holes and try to chisel them with a flathead to get it unstuck. I then noticed a little lip around the female thread of the back plate. I used (GENTLY) vise grips to grab the lip without touching the threads. After a coulpla push and pulls, it got unstuck.

And, BTW, I oiled the rubber "O" ring on the new filter and HAND TIGHTENED it.

Youre a great buncha helpful guys!!!
Auto part Rim Wheel Automotive wheel system Disc brake
Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system Tool accessory Disc brake

#18 ·
I use the K&N oil filter, it has a built in bolt head on the end to get a open end or adjustable wrench on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.