Honda VTX Forum banner

Ready to upgrade

4K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  srtscu 
#1 ·
Well I have had my VTX 1300 S since new in 2003. It's been a great bike and have had no issues with it at all but I'm ready for something bigger. So I decided I would go look at an 1800 N Spec 3. Very nice bike. Until I looked at a Yamaha Roadliner. What a fantastic bike. 1850 cc and over 100 hp. It runs fantastic and handles awesome. Not top heavy at all like the VTX felt. I know it's air cooled but that really doesn't bother me. The fit and finish on the Roadliner is hands down far superior to the VTX. The VTX looks plain compared to the Roadliner. So I think I have made up my mind to get the Roadliner. I really hope Honda gets on board with some new models because I'm really bored with their line up.

#6 ·
There are several new models out from Yamaha and Kawasaki. I try not to go looking so I'm less tempted.

#7 ·
I know for a fact it is possible to ride what you like without bashing what others like or ride. You should try it.
Best of luck with your choice.
He was a 5 year rider on a 1300. He's not bashing Honda; he's tellig it like it is from his perspectivre as someone who has ridden both. I consider that good news and don't want to discourage others form doing the same.

And he;s right about Honda; they need to splash something new and exciting on the MC market and soon. Let's hope the Fury is it.

#8 ·
He was a 5 year rider on a 1300. He's not bashing Honda; he's tellig it like it is from his perspectivre as someone who has ridden both. I consider that good news and don't want to discourage others form doing the same.

And he;s right about Honda; they need to splash something new and exciting on the MC market and soon. Let's hope the Fury is it.
He IS bashing Honda and no, he is NOT telling it like it is. He is telling us HIS opinion, which varies from mine (and yours obviously). My X's fit and finish is equal to any mass produced bike out there. It handles and fits ME just fine.

Secondly, Honda doesn't NEED to "splash" anything. They still lead the market worldwide. Perhaps YOU need them to make something you like instead?

The OP, you and I are entitled to our opinions. And that is ALL they are. I still say you can extoll the virtues of Yamaha,(which are many) while not BASHING Honda. :thumbup:

#9 ·
He IS bashing Honda and no, he is NOT telling it like it is. He is telling us HIS opinion, which varies from mine (and yours obviously). My X's fit and finish is equal to any mass produced bike out there. It handles and fits ME just fine.

Secondly, Honda doesn't NEED to "splash" anything. They still lead the market worldwide. Perhaps YOU need them to make something you like instead?

The OP, you and I are entitled to our opinions. And that is ALL they are. I still say you can extoll the virtues of Yamaha,(which are many) while not BASHING Honda. :thumbup:
Opinions Vary
Your both right, no wait, your both wrong:dontknow::lol::lol::lol::lol:

#12 ·
I'm always interested in seeing what others like in a motorcycle. So with an open mind, after reading your post, I went on their website and looked at the gallery pictures for both models of the Roadliner. I'll have to say, I hope it looks better in person than it does in the pictures. In any event, I wish you the best and hope you are happy with your decision.

Best Wishes,

#13 ·
I'm always interested in seeing what others like in a motorcycle. So with an open mind, after reading your post, I went on their website and looked at the gallery pictures for both models of the Roadliner. I'll have to say, I hope it looks better in person than it does in the pictures. In any event, I wish you the best and hope you are happy with your decision.

Best Wishes,
Thats what I thought too until I saw it in person. This bike I'm looking at is the Roadliner S model with all the goodies that the Stratoliner has on it. The Stratoliner is the same bike as the Roadliner but they add windshield, bags and a back rest at the factory. Kinda like the VTX T models. Anyway, yes, in my opinion they look much better in person.

#14 ·

Like you said, VTXKC voiced his opinion on how he felt about his Honda and how he felt about a possible replacement -- both opinions have value to him as they're his opinions. Truth be told, Honda has failed to keep up with their contemporaries as of late -- not a bash, just a fact. If VTXKC finds the fit and finish of his Honda lacking when compared to other models, so be it...it's his opinion and voicing it shouldn't be cause for everyone else to jump down his throat. You're happy with your Honda. Fan-damn-tastic. Keep it, ride it, enjoy it. Not everyone will feel the same as do you and not everyone will follow your example. Don't wear the blinders of brand loyalty to the exclusion of everything and everyone else out there. Seems to me that a certain other group of individuals take a constant schelacking(sp?) on this board for doing the very same thing. Celebrate the diversity whether you choose to take part or not. Ride safe, ride often. 8)

#15 ·

You don't seem to be too open minded to other options and opinions.
I've had my VTX 1800C for 5 yrs now and I agree Honda is way behind the times in the cruiser market. I would get rid of mine in a second for a new Yamaha cruiser if it weren't for the $$$ I have invested in accessories over the last 5 yrs. Right now its economics keeping me from getting rid of it. It still runs great but when the time comes that I have to get rid of it I will probably look into other brands, especially Yamaha.
Since I've had mine for 5 yrs I think I have the right to review it as I see fit.

#16 ·
A friend of mine traded a 04 Neo for the Stratoliner when they first came out and was very dissapointed after riding it for a couple weeks.He did test drive it before buying.He said it didn't have the power of the X.They replaced the clutch twice and a few other small recall issues.It's a nice bike just not for me so good riding on whatever you get.Buy what you want or you won't be happy that's why I bought an N and not an R even though the R's were cheaper.

#18 ·
Wow ... my first post after lurking for a few months. I have to say I just bought a VTX 1800 ... it's all about personal taste. The dealer I bought mine from had Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki on his floor. I was looking at the Yamaha bikes and as nice as they looked, I could not wrap my arms around one so to speak. I've owned several Yamahas and Honda in the past so it's not like I have any strong bias either way, though I guess if I had to make a list of pro's and con's bast on PAST ownership Honda would win on the pro side for me. Again this is based on PAST ownership experiences. Yamaha has made some strides in the last few years, who knows maybe my next bike I will give them another look.

If you get the Yamaha, ride it and enjoy it .... then pass along some honest feedback, pro's and con's.

#19 ·
I know for a fact it is possible to ride what you like without bashing what others like or ride. You should try it.
Best of luck with your choice.
I am 100% happy with my VTX and know of no other cruiser I would rather have. If someone wants another bike that's fine but why tell us? Just buy it and go to that bikes forum and praise it.

#20 ·
I am 100% happy with my VTX and know of no other cruiser I would rather have. If someone wants another bike that's fine but why tell us? Just buy it and go to that bikes forum and praise it.
Glad someone understood my point.:thumbup:

I'll restate it, maybe a little clearer. Buy and ride whatever the **** you want. I honestly don't give a flying ****. But don't get on a VTX forum and tell me what a POS I choose to ride compared to yours and expect hugs and kisses from me.

I will gladly listen to you tell me how good Yamahas are and I will not argue if you leave it at that. But don't tell me the VTX sucks because it doesn't and you didn't think so when you bought one did you? What is so hard to understand about that? I'm done.

G
#21 ·
To coin an old phrase, I'm more concerned with if you ride than what you ride.

Everyone has their own opinion, and any 'negative' comments about the "X" aren't taken as offensive, at least not by me,,,, It's your opinion, and your welcome to it!

If that's what cha want, DO IT! :thumbup:

I've seen/sat on the 'Strat', and well, it just doesn't "do it" for me,,, Oh well!!!

I look at all brands, and each, as far as I've learned, has it's strong and weak points.

If ya get one, after about 6 months, I'd like to hear back from ya on what cha think. There will probably be a few things ya really like, and maybe a few ya don't.

#25 ·
VTXKC
what kind of prices did you get
The bike is a used 06 with 6k miles and has all the Yamaha accessories to make it a Roadliner, Windshield,bags, and passenger back rest. It also has the Yamaha crash bar and factory Yamaha 2 into 2 performance pipes. Extended warranty through Oct. 2011. $10 k OTD.

#26 ·
Those are nice bikes, hey Chicago-Spike has a Harley, why not tell him to go to another forum? You wouldnt do it to him, so you shouldnt do it to the guy voicing his opinion. After owning my vtx for 5 years, I would probably not buy another vtx either, it would be time for something different. The new VTX bikes are not really any different then the one he has now, wouldnt you want something different? :popcorn:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.