Honda VTX Forum banner

BRAKES...

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jamaica Joe 
#1 ·
I just noticed a bit of brake fluid on the left front caliper and the rear reservoir is down a bit(at the lower fill line). Has anyone replaced the piston seals in their calipers and was it a hard job to do so?

Thanks for any helpful info that you can provide,

8)

#4 ·
Could it be a fork seal leaking down onto the caliper? Just a thought, haven't heard of a caliper seal leaking on the VTX, but it's not impossible.
That is what I thought initially Spike, but why would the brake fluid level be lower in the rear brake reservoir, and why would the back brake peddle feel a bit soft? Also :dontknow: The left fork is dry on the lower end. Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW... I just contacted Nissin Brake Company in Ohio. I did so because NO Honda dealers have the parts in stock and I need them ASAP... too quick to wait while they are back ordered for two or three weeks. Honda has a NO SALE contract with NISSIN. The NISSIN Company is NOT ALLOWED to sell the seals to others.:evil: :evil: :evil: They have the parts but WE can't buy them.

Thanks Honda:roll:

8)

#6 ·
Caliper Piston Seal

Replacing this is not a big deal. Remove the caliper completely. There are 3 bolts on the back side that hold the two caliper halves together. Remove those bolts and you'll see 3 pistons, 2 larger, one small. The small on is the piston that works with the rear brake. These pistons should slide right out. If they don't, you can use a compressor, ( with very little psi ) going to the line connection to blow them out. Just don't shoot the piston across your garage. The rest is self explainatory. :pepper1::pepper1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.