Honda VTX Forum banner

1800 versus S E

5K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  Philscbx 
#1 ·
Just wondering how our 1800s stack up against the new street glide screamin eagle?

#4 ·
I rode with a buddy's brand new M109R yesterday. Not withstanding that his bike is naked and I have a fairing/stereo/hard bags, those bikes will walk away from the VTX 1800. There's always something faster but the 1800 doesn't have to hang its head to anyone.

#6 ·
I saw some numbers a while back. Dyno'd 94.6 hp and 109 torque. I'm sure numbers vary. I've heard to that the x starts to walk away from them around 80. Again, just a couple things i read and heard. I've not lined up against one.

#7 ·
Finally got my co-worker to produce the Dyno sheet, from his 110c.i. SE, to answer this question.
He was just grinning everytime I asked.

View attachment DynoRunRB.pdf

No wonder.... 111hp and 123 torque would make anyone smile.

#8 ·
Finally got my co-worker to produce the Dyno sheet, from his 110c.i. SE, to answer this question.
He was just grinning everytime I asked.

View attachment 51727

No wonder.... 111hp and 123 torque would make anyone smile.
Now compare the $ per hp and torque numbers. The VTX 1800 bows to no one. Why compare a 6-12 yr old $6000 bike with a 2014 25-$40,000 ride :confused:

My bike compares better than well to a Street Glide but I really don't care; I ride what I like...

#9 ·
Agree 100% in every aspect. Regardless, those are impressive and (surpringly to me) superior numbers to our bikes. I had another HD riding friend tell me his bike was superior just because I was lacking the "experience and mystique" of HD ownership.

Like wrestling with pigs, sooner or later you realize the pigs are enjoying just getting muddy.

#10 ·
You get way more than just an engine with a SE line bike. After doing a full custom paintjob on my Road Glide and adding many extra chrome(or black parts in my case ) it was more expensive to do my Road Glide than it would have cost me to just by a SE Road Glide and add a trunk to that. Plus, I did no engine work and still had stock wheels. The SE line gives you custom paint, custom chrome wheels, chrome everything, several SE only parts that no one can buy making and keeping it in low numbers and much much more. You can not just walk in to any HD shop and buy the SE paint. There are other SE protected parts that can not be purchased.

#11 ·
So you spend about $25k more for a few hp and HD throws in proprietary parts, colors and exclusivity for free.
What a deal. Now that's capitalist marketing at its finest. Convince them they're lacking if they don't buy brand "x".
I do find it odd the traditional biker perception of being the rebellious rugged individual has succumbed to joining the masses.
Not trashing here, just observing.
So as long as there's more than one manufacturer, there will always be debate.
I say let's just ride.

#12 ·
Marketing and Brand Merchandising

As I prepared to ride to work today, I thought about wearing a branded helmet, and branded bandana, a branded t-shirt, a branded shirt, a branded thong, a branded pair of trousers, a branded pair of socks, a branded pair of riding boots, a branded pair of riding gloves, a branded riding vest, a set of branded vest chains, a branded patch for my branded riding vest, and a branded pair of riding glasses to work today. I also thought about trailering my bike right up to the installation front gate, off-loading my bike at the front gate, and then riding my bike along the short distance from the front gate to the parking structure, all the while revving my engine right up to the rev-limiter. Then after I parked my ride, I was going to brag to my other riding buddies about how many tens of thousands of dollars I paid for my bike. But then I'd have to buy all of that branded clothing, buy a bike trailer, buy a pick-up to pull the bike trailer, and buy a new bike that costs in the multiples of tens of thousands of dollars. Instead, I wore whatever I felt like wearing today, and I actually rode my bargain-priced bike to work. Sans trailer. I guess that makes me a poser of sorts in some people's eyes.

#13 ·
It has the same 110ci displacement, but the street glide has a 6spd transmission so that'll help acceleration.

Like it's always been said, "there is always a faster bike."

:dontknow:
I have beaten my buddy several times. My 110 beats his 110 CVO in any measure. His modified 103 S E is stronger and is getting rebuilt now. His 110 CVO is in the shop also with some sort of head issue. It sure is pretty though. The paint job is awesome.

Mileage varies. We run these bikes pretty hard. Neither of his bikes gets better gas mileage than my X. The more they do to them the worst the mileage gets.

Unfortunately for him, if he ever gets that 110 or 103 built enough to outrun the stock X, he'll still have a way to go to beat my stock F6B. It is MUCH quicker.

BTW- no magazine has tested a stock 110 hd with a lower 1/4 mile e.t. than the stock VTX1800. If you can find one, please post it. 8)

#14 ·
As I prepared to ride to work today, I thought about wearing a branded helmet, and branded bandana, a branded t-shirt, a branded shirt, a branded thong, a branded pair of trousers, a branded pair of socks, a branded pair of riding boots, a branded pair of riding gloves, a branded riding vest, a set of branded vest chains, a branded patch for my branded riding vest, and a branded pair of riding glasses to work today. I also thought about trailering my bike right up to the installation front gate, off-loading my bike at the front gate, and then riding my bike along the short distance from the front gate to the parking structure, all the while revving my engine right up to the rev-limiter. Then after I parked my ride, I was going to brag to my other riding buddies about how many tens of thousands of dollars I paid for my bike. But then I'd have to buy all of that branded clothing, buy a bike trailer, buy a pick-up to pull the bike trailer, and buy a new bike that costs in the multiples of tens of thousands of dollars. Instead, I wore whatever I felt like wearing today, and I actually rode my bargain-priced bike to work. Sans trailer. I guess that makes me a poser of sorts in some people's eyes.
Wow, you paint with awful broad strokes there. No one here said anything about any bike being a poser bike. I purchased my bikes, rode them all over this continent from Vancouver BC to Key West Fla. and all points in between. My last 3 tourers have never seen any trailer at all. My VTX however was trailered out to Colorado because I made it a street rod of sorts lowered and big wheels with small sidewall heights and this made the ride harsh. But, as I said, I did that to the bike, not Honda. My VTX was way more comfy before I started customizing it, but it was way cooler than it was when I rode it home ;)

I don't wear leather vests with patches all over it. No black leather jackets, no branded clothes except for a few tshirts I got from family and the occasional cool dealership. I do however, have lots of HD dealeship stickers from all the places I have ridden to. I also have small custom shopstickers like Redhill Bike Werks in Colorado and Sun Honda and more. I'm a sticker whore ;)

I answered a question, some of you choose to take this as bragging. Not bragging just clarifying that there is more to an SE than an engine. I spent just as much on my VTX as I would have if I purchased a fully loaded Goildwing. I didn't get to buy my VTX at bargain basement prices, mine was full MSRP in January 2002 when I rode it home in 15 degrees weather 8)

I ride with anyone on anything, just have fun 8)

#16 ·
One thing we can all agree on this July 3rd...we still ride in the greatest country - ever!

#17 ·
A well-maintained and properly tuned stock VTX1800 F will dust any stock Harley Davidson except the Nightrod Special. I know I had one. Would never have sold it, either, except I owed Uncle Sam back taxes and had to sell her for cash to pay my debts.
I have to agree with that. It might squeek past my 1800R, but not a F or C properly tuned. The 110 SG stock gets no better mpg around town or back country. Actually worse If it is moded with stage 1. You do not get what what you pay for. That is the mystique, or maybe the mistake buyers make.

#20 ·
A smart man learns from the mistakes of others. Chances are, you won't live long enough to make them all by yourself.

#21 ·
.............what BRAND did you buy?;)

Show

#22 ·
Walked away from my 5th and final HD product in late 1994
20yrs later 99% of the BS is still following that brand,for the same reasoning
Got a few buds with the new 103 Stage 1-4 Ultra's,still wearing stupid classy "My other ride has ****" tee-shirts
and cant possibly believe:yikes:(with my history) Im looking at a H O N D A to get back in the game with.
Found a super sweet 18 retro sitting in an HD shop,saw the pics,loved it,but will not set foot on that property to buy it.

I was settled in 1994

#23 ·
I have to agree with that. It might squeek past my 1800R, but not a F or C properly tuned. The 110 SG stock gets no better mpg around town or back country. Actually worse If it is moded with stage 1. You do not get what what you pay for. That is the mystique, or maybe the mistake buyers make.

I just have one question, are the F and C faster than the R,N,T?? I thought the power was the same on all 1800s.

A buddy of mine has a 1800 F set up similar to mine and I outrun him, not by much though. So what are the differences? :confused:

#24 ·
I presume the F and C bikes are lighter than the other models. However, with me on my F, I couldn't beat a Yural. Ha

I wonder how my 1998 Honda 1500 SE would do against the Harley SE? For a couch the Wing is pretty fast. But it can't compare to my 1986 GL-1200.

#25 ·
I presume the F and C bikes are lighter than the other models. However, with me on my F, I couldn't beat a Yural. Ha

I wonder how my 1998 Honda 1500 SE would do against the Harley SE? For a couch the Wing is pretty fast. But it can't compare to my 1986 GL-1200.
Haha, Yea I'm about 50 lbs heavier than the other guy too! I don't think a couple shorter fenders would make much difference in weight. lol. Anyway I beat him by a bike length on top end running in triple digits.:firstplace:

Your Wing just might beat a SE, I know the new ones will. I did outrun a UC SE on my Valkyrie Interstate!! Same engine as your, 1520 but with 6 carbs and solid lifters and hotter cams and lower gearing8)

#26 ·
My stock 1800R weighs in at 850 lbs. It stayed even with a past friend stock interstate valk into triple digits. We raced several times. I raced and tested a UC SE, stop light to light at daytona bike week. It was even. They move out like the vtx. Its a fast V twin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.