Honda VTX Forum banner

Is a Hypercharger worth it?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Greg Riddle 
#1 ·
I've been looking at these for a few months now, trying to decide if it's really worth it. Doing the pair valve removal pretty soon, was just going to install this at the same time if I got one..

Anyone that has one care to share their experience?

#2 ·
Plenty of folks running those. I have a Baron big air kit, so I can't help except to say anything you do to open the airflow up is an improvement.

#3 ·
Some people will tell you no, some will tell you yes. The difference in HP gains from the different airboxes is not but 1 to 2 HP. With that in mind go with what you like.
If you go with the hypercharger and you need to rejet(don't know if you have stock pipes or not), do not use the 65 pilot(to large) that comes with the Dinojet kit stay with the stock 55 pilot or use a 58 pilot.

I have the hypercharger with Cobra slip-ons. My current set up is;
58 pilot
200 main
needle on the 4th clip
1 3/4 turns on the AF

Need to remember that Dinojet jets are numbered different from the Factory pro and stock. The DJ 195 main will flow like a 220 main from FP.

#4 ·
As reb said, the difference realistically between all the intakes is less than 3, if you are putting the thing on a dyno for absolutely every possible hp/tq number you can get, the H/C isn't for you.

That said: I bought my intake based soley for LOOKS, since all of them performed pretty much the same. I have been thrilled with my hypercharger and gotten some compliments on the butterfly action of it. :dontknow: Get what you like the look of, not what someone tells you performs best. They are all close enough it really doesn't matter.

#7 ·
I bought my bike used with the Hypercharger Pro already on it.. It is one of the reasons I bought the bike. I absolutely loved the look. There are some disadvantages though. I have had the bike for 2 years and have taken the Hyper apart twice to fix the vacuum pod that works the butterflies. I also had to replace the vacuum lines (the ones that come with the Hyper install kit are crap as is the supplied jet. Throw those away as soon as you get it). It also sticks out quite a bit. It was hard for me (5'6") to get to the footpeg and I could forget using my highway pegs. The taller guys don't seem to have this issue, just something to consider. The leg issue is really annoying. I just installed the E-Bay spikes for right around $100. It still looks really cool and is tucked up nicely under the tank. Before you shell out that kind of cheese for a Hyper, make sure it's what you want. :cool:

#8 ·
I bought my bike used with the Hypercharger Pro already on it.. It is one of the reasons I bought the bike. I absolutely loved the look. There are some disadvantages though. I have had the bike for 2 years and have taken the Hyper apart twice to fix the vacuum pod that works the butterflies. I also had to replace the vacuum lines (the ones that come with the Hyper install kit are crap as is the supplied jet. Throw those away as soon as you get it). It also sticks out quite a bit. It was hard for me (5'6") to get to the footpeg and I could forget using my highway pegs. The taller guys don't seem to have this issue, just something to consider. The leg issue is really annoying. I just installed the E-Bay spikes for right around $100. It still looks really cool and is tucked up nicely under the tank. Before you shell out that kind of cheese for a Hyper, make sure it's what you want. :cool:
I'll probably start having problems for saying something but the only issue I've had in 7 years was I needed to replace the vacuum line.

The butterflies stick if you don't put something on them, I used some silicone spray, again, no issues for 7 years.

Knock on wood.

#9 ·
I'll probably start having problems for saying something but the only issue I've had in 7 years was I needed to replace the vacuum line.

The butterflies stick if you don't put something on them, I used some silicone spray, again, no issues for 7 years.

I agree, mine has been on for 10 years and the only thing I have done is spray the butterflies and replace the vacume lines.

#10 ·
I think whoever had the bike before me, had the adjustment screw for the vacuum pod jacked up. He was probably trying to get the butterflies to work with a massive vacuum leak caused by the cracked vacuum line. When I fixed the vacuum leak, the diaphragm may have over-traveled and came out of the seat. After the second time it happened, I finally figured out how to adjust the travel stop screw. It worked for the remaining couple of months it was on the bike. The point I was trying to get across, is that there are more moving parts which means more possibilities of issues and tinkering. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Hyper! If it didn't interfere with my leg, I would have kept it. I didn't really mind fooling with the vacuum pod, just relaying my experience as the OP asked.:grin:

#11 ·
Well if looks are really the only thing different from one to another I have a few others I like better. The H/C seems a little too aggressive for the look i'm going for.

Seems a lot of people on these forums have the H/C just wasn't sure if there was something about it that made it that much better performance wise than others.

Thanks for the input guys. :thumbup:

#12 ·
the hyper is not one of the better breathing intakes. the barons bak is one of the best as is the thunder hurricane. i think there all too expensive. thats why i customized my own. i cut up the stock air box to breathe as much as possible. then cut the vtx vangaurd night into the cover.

#15 ·
I love mine, but just get prepared for riding with one leg out farther than the other. It was annoying at first but you get used to it. I rode my buddy's bike the other day and it felt weird with the stock airbox to me. Get what you like!! That's what this is all about anyway.

#16 ·
You can't get much of an increase in hp unless you mod the internals cam, compression, ignition timing
yes you can. with free flowing intake and pipes and properly jetted you get a nice increase in power. but the cams and high compression pistons provide a very nice boost in power

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.