Honda VTX Forum banner

anyone else run out of gas?

977 views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  shoefly 
#1 ·
i ran out of gas today on my way to school, had to get a ride to the gas station from a cop. my fault though, forgot to change the carb over from reserve last time i filled. this makes 2 times in two months, not counting the time i literally rolled into a gas station 2 weeks ago. im really surprised though that a bike that costs 9.6K msrp doesnt have a fuel guage..... :twisted: whats up with this?

my cbr had a fuel guage.. not cool honda, not cool

#11 ·
monty26 said:
onlyvtx said:
Fill up. Ride 120 miles. Repeat. :D
What if you can't go 120 miles on one tank :)
if you cant go 120.miles on a tank you have some serious "running rich" problem :wink:

#12 ·
Chicago-Spike said:
[quote="rock 'n roll_X":1sguwbsh]Don't you have a low fuel warning light on the bike?
Only the 1800 fuel injected has a light as do all fuel injected bikes. Carbed bikes don't normally come with lights because they have that reserve valve.[/quote:1sguwbsh]

yea the 1800..once our light idicator goes on..my bike anyway..get about 25 to 30 miles to
find a gas station..like others..i usualy set my tripA feature to 0 at every fill up..and get gas
at 130 miles. i think i let tank get to light warning twice since i had it.. :wink:

#13 ·
I think all of us with 1300's have forgotten at one time or another to switch the reserve back to regular tank supply. Not sure how far 1300's can go before reserve is needed, but I have pushed it to 160 miles on a tank of gas :shock: without switching to reserve. I agree, I wish the 1300's were equipped with a low fuel lite just like the 1800's.

#14 ·
Johnzz1420 said:
I think all of us with 1300's have forgotten at one time or another to switch the reserve back to regular tank supply.
Well, I disagree with that. I think you need to include EVERYONE that has ever owned/ridden a carbed bike with the reserve. We've all done that at least once in our riding careers.

"Uh-oh!! Bikes gonna run out of gas, better switch to rese..... crap, I am on reserve" :wink:

#15 ·
Chicago-Spike said:
Well, I disagree with that. I think you need to include EVERYONE that has ever owned/ridden a carbed bike with the reserve. We've all done that at least once in our riding careers.

"Uh-oh!! Bikes gonna run out of gas, better switch to rese..... crap, I am on reserve" :wink:
...Yes Spike, I concur with you sir. "Not to mention ALL of us in the past who have owned carbed rides as well". :wink:

#16 ·
Chicago-Spike said:
I think you need to include EVERYONE that has ever owned/ridden a carbed bike with the reserve. We've all done that at least once in our riding careers.
Yup, did it once, but on a Honda ATC.
Learned my lesson that time and have never done it again.

My XR starts looking for fuel about 75 miles or so. (small tank)
The Star flips itself to reserve around 160/170 or so.
Neat thing about that is when it does the odometer changes and starts counting up to tell you how far you have gone on on reserve.
It has 4 regular displays......
Odometer
Trip A
Triip B
Clock

No matter which you have it on it changes to reserve and starts counting.
(at about 20 miles you're dry)

Both bikes are getting in the low 40 MPG range.

#17 ·
Yeah dude. Just have to get in the habit. My dad forgets all the time I have to remind him. Thats the first thing I do when i roll into the station when i'm on reserve is flip the switch so i'm ready to go. Second I always reset my trip A to 0. Drive 140-150 miles then fill back up. Repeat. Just have to get in the habit. I've ran on reserve a few times. But nothing to where I ran out of gas.

#18 ·
Yeah dude. Just have to get in the habit. My dad forgets all the time. Thats the first thing I do when i roll into the station when i'm on reserve is flip the switch right away so i'm ready to go. Second I always reset my trip A to 0. Drive 140-150 miles then fill back up. Repeat. Just have to get in the habit. I've ran on reserve a few times. But nothing to where I ran out of gas. I just know that when I start approaching the 140-150 mile mark to watch out for it to start running out of gas. No need for a fuel gauge. I just dont like it when i'm sitting at a stop light and it decides to die just as i'm taking off.

#19 ·
I'm in the habit of shutting off the fuel whenever I shut down. Habit of many years after riding bikes that would leak fuel if you didn't. So, turning on the gas is a routine part of my startup. Don't know that shutting off the fuel on an VTX is at all necessary, but I haven't ever run a tank dry, either. Can't say the same for airplanes. :wink:

#23 ·
Happened to my riding buddy. We both have 1800 vtx's.
We were both on reserve looking for a gas station and he ran out.
Didn't have a GPS then to tell me where the gas stations were.
So I rode on hoping to find one before I ran out.
12 miles later I rolled into a station on fumes.
The manager of the station lent me a 1 gal can to get gas for my friend.

#24 ·
135-145 b4 reserve. went to 170 b4 she sputtered and thank god i was rollen up to a gas station.. wont do that again... always trip it and weather or not i have it on reserve i always know what i have left. if im at 150 and not on reserve i reach down and check and right away i look for gas.. just in case i was throttle happy....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.