Honda VTX Forum banner

Bad Bearing noise in the rear

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  greatrep 
#1 ·
I have swapped out the rear wheel bearings and Drive Bearing. Still making the noise with 2up riding only. Does anyone have an idea of what else sounds like a bad bearing? thanks for any help provided in advance.

1800R
43k miles

#6 ·
the noise is constant in the to a position

I would love to have you look at it but unfortunately I live in Fort Myers Florida now to be a bit of a trip
it sounds like a grinding noise and it is constant. didn't pay attention as to whether it was worse over bumps.

#7 ·
the noise is constant in the to a position

I would love to have you look at it but unfortunately I live in Fort Myers Florida now to be a bit of a trip
it sounds like a grinding noise and it is constant. didn't pay attention as to whether it was worse over bumps.

#8 ·
we're tired is brand new

How old are the tires? How much pressure in the tires?

Bearing noise is like Mark said, is typically cyclic. It will be a whirring noise that comes and goes wrrrrr.....wwwrrrr....wwrrrrr.....wwwrrrrr

try bumpng the shock preload up another notch
tire pressure I always run 45 P S I in the rear. I figured it was maybe something the mental midget did when they change the tire. but i since disassembled Replace wheel bearings and final drive berry still having the noise need to look further

#10 ·
Think I found the problem

The noise I am hearing is normal rear end noise. I took apart the whole final drive and found nothing. all gears look like new. I did however find that my left shock seems to be dented on the out side touching the inner tube. No isolation I believe would constitute the noise I heard. Best I can figure is when I had the tire change done at the stealer, the shock must have gotten hit and dented. Of course never told me about it. Wasnt a problem till 2up. Looking to put new rear shocks on and hope to solve the problem. Will let you know. thanks for all of the input and thoughts. I have always loved the willingness of VTX brothers to assist. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.