Honda VTX Forum banner

How to replace the headlight bulb?

11K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Maddawg9er 
#1 ·
I did the fix on the rattle and put it back together and now my brights don't work :( I need to replace the bulb and I don't know if you pull on the connector or what. I just want to be safe and not break anything.

#2 ·
Just tug on it, but make sure you don't touch the bulb with your bare fingertips. I can't remember if the stock bulb/light is keyed or not. Maybe someone else can jump in. It may need to rotated to cutouts?

#3 ·
DonvtxC said:
Just tug on it, but make sure you don't touch the bulb with your bare fingertips. I can't remember if the stock bulb/light is keyed or not. Maybe someone else can jump in. It may need to rotated to cutouts?
Just pushes into the socket. It's ok to touch the old one, just don't touch the new glass...

Nate

#5 ·
I replaced my bulb last week. It is easy process. Just be careful when putting the screws back in. They have a little shoulder on them that needs to line up this the holes.

Remove the two screws from the reflector assembly.
Tilt the top of the headlight reflector assembly out from the top. There is a tab in the bottom that holds the bottom in.
Disconnect the headlight connector. It just plugs in.
Remove the dust cover from around the back of the reflector that covers the bulb base.
Unhook the bulb retainer. If you look at it closely, you will see how to unhook it. See link in above post.
Remove the bulb.
Put new bulb (do not touch the glass part of the bulb) in and reverse above procedure.
I had a little trouble getting the reflector assembly back in because the all the wire in the headlight. I had to work with it a little to get the wire moved around to get it back in.
Good Luck.

#6 ·
DonvtxC said:
Ok there's a pic here that refreshes my memory. Are you sure you didn't do something to the wiring while you were in there fixing the rattle? Seems like a big coincidence.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=146297
I did notice there was a connector not pluged in to anything? I thought that may be for a light bar? is there a connector in there not being used or maybe that's the problem??

#7 ·
Maddawg9er said:
DonvtxC said:
Ok there's a pic here that refreshes my memory. Are you sure you didn't do something to the wiring while you were in there fixing the rattle? Seems like a big coincidence.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=146297
I did notice there was a connector not pluged in to anything? I thought that may be for a light bar? is there a connector in there not being used or maybe that's the problem??
That is the plug-n-play for the Honda Light bar. It is fine.......not supposed to be plugged into anything unless you bought a Honda light bar of course.

#8 ·
TexasExInMinnesota said:
I replaced my bulb last week. It is easy process. Just be careful when putting the screws back in. They have a little shoulder on them that needs to line up this the holes.

Remove the two screws from the reflector assembly.
Tilt the top of the headlight reflector assembly out from the top. There is a tab in the bottom that holds the bottom in.
Disconnect the headlight connector. It just plugs in.
Remove the dust cover from around the back of the reflector that covers the bulb base.
Unhook the bulb retainer. If you look at it closely, you will see how to unhook it. See link in above post.
Remove the bulb.
Put new bulb (do not touch the glass part of the bulb) in and reverse above procedure.

I will be working on it this weekend. Now my light is out totally?

So whats the issue with touching the light?
I had a little trouble getting the reflector assembly back in because the all the wire in the headlight. I had to work with it a little to get the wire moved around to get it back in.
Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.