2002 vtx 1800-c - Page 2 - VTXOA
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 02:18 PM

Nice looking bike. I'm new here as well, watch for my intro once approved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 06:23 AM

Cool

Welcome from Daytona Beach, enjoy and ride safely.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:28 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemisus View Post
Thanks Pushrod and Hans&Feet,

Seems like there were plenty of options. Wonder what inspired Honda to give the C a 4.5 gallon tank and go 6.5 on the other models? Seems on a cruiser this size the more fuel the better.

Oh well I am not complaining. Getting excited to see whats what and making a list. Needs tires so if anyone can recommend a good set that would a start. I don't go cheap on tires so don't worry about scaring me with cost. As far as the Fluids I'll do a replace on just about everything I can think about including the Brake. Just peace of mind! I'll go through the entire bike next weekend as I have a 5 day weekend because of the Holiday. So any advise on a parts list so I can begin to order would be greatly appreciated
Tires;
Dunlop Elite4 or American Elite

Quote:
Type of Oil (synthetic vs blend)
Full synthetic as long as you stay away from any car oil that has "ENERGY CONSERVING" in the API stamp. I prefer AMSOIL, as I sell it and have been using it for decades
Quote:
Brake Fluid
Dot4 and the clutch fluid uses the same
Quote:
Pads
OEM

I have always used Motul full synthetic on my bikes but they have always been Super Sport. As for Brake Fluid, I have some Motul 600 but that might be a bit excessive for this bike? Thoughts...?

Thanks for the welcome,

Cheers

Nemi[/QUOTE]

AMA Life Member 721314

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Great feedback and thanks for the Parts list Chicago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveroy60 View Post
Welcome from Daytona Beach, enjoy and ride safely.
Thank you steve! It has been a few years since I rode anything but I believe it'll all come back in time. I did sort of pick the wrong time of the summer to get a bike again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
Nice looking bike. I'm new here as well, watch for my intro once approved!
Thank you Smurfy! I will keep an eye out for it and drop a line.

Curious, anyone know the best way to get a small dent out of the fuel tank? I can live with it but its large enough to just remind me its there. Dad was doing some maintenance when the arm of the jack swung up and smacked it. Just one of those things I'd like to get fixed. OR at least hide.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
The info I got about the tank size was acquired on the web @ bikez.com. I am not sure how accurate the info is but was equally curious at the difference in sizes between tanks. Wonder if you could get the bigger thank to fit on the C without any trouble?
As Vtox, already said, anyone quoting 6.5 gallons for ANY model VTX is mistaken. If we are talking factory tanks, then 5.3(ish) is it. As for swapping... it can be done, but it would certainly take a big effort and significant expense. Sticking with existing tank and moving fuel pump out of tank to an external location could be "stage one" volume enhancement. Swapping to a tank from an R/S/T will likely take a new seat for best fit, along with a new dash/speedo display. Pretty big deal swap, but others have done it and there are some threads if you search.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud-57 View Post
As Vtox, already said, anyone quoting 6.5 gallons for ANY model VTX is mistaken. If we are talking factory tanks, then 5.3(ish) is it. As for swapping... it can be done, but it would certainly take a big effort and significant expense. Sticking with existing tank and moving fuel pump out of tank to an external location could be "stage one" volume enhancement. Swapping to a tank from an R/S/T will likely take a new seat for best fit, along with a new dash/speedo display. Pretty big deal swap, but others have done it and there are some threads if you search.
Thanks for the feedback dud,

Will most likely stick with the size that came with the bike. Only started considering the large tank due to the fact that I have a small dent in mine that I haven't decided if I'll have fixed or just replace. If I replace it would have seemed the most opportune time to upgrade in size if the swap was ideal. Not interested (at this time) in what is required to do the job right.

the info I read had the R and S tank at a 6.3 so its possible in the world of miss-information that it was intended to say 5.3. My search was limited for 2002 only, when I looked it up.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:01 AM

These machines do not like to sit around. Get your tires and maintenance done and ride it like you stole it.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis311 View Post
These machines do not like to sit around. Get your tires and maintenance done and ride it like you stole it.
Hey Travis,

It is funny and partially sad you say that. I have been looking at it every day since I brought it home with the feeling that I actually stole it from Pops. The fact that he can't ride anymore breaks my heart as I really wanted to ride with him and only have limited road time since we live so for apart. Perhaps now that the bike isn't where he can see it he'll have that empty space telling him to get healthy and then acquire a new bike... or even ask for this one back. I'd gladly hand over the keys without flinching.

As far as sitting I only know this to be so true. Dad unfortunately let it sit for well over a year. I went home to visit and had to spend some quality time with it. So we know each other well! I was able to get it started and since then he made sure to keep it running. I believe that is why Dad offered her to me over my Twin brother who lives local to our parents. That and I have an M1

If all works out I'll have a majority of the Maintenance done this weekend. Not sure about the tires because I am not sure what I want? Size, brand, etc. Everything else just takes time.

Cheers and thanks again,

Nemi
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Wouldn't hurt to run some seafoam through the gas tank, 1oz. per gallon. It will clean your injectors. Also, I seem to remember now that the C tanks may have been 4.9 gallons. And that it and the 5.3 were the only two sizes used.

M8 Fat Boy S Bonneville Salt Pearl

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:33 PM

Welcome from Northern California! I bought a 2002 VTX1800c from a buddy in March 2015 with 18400. As of Monday, the bike has 128076 miles! The engine has almost 90k, and that seems to be the magic number for the clutch basket to explode. Mine did Monday. I had it towed to my mechanic. He pulled the basket and found some rivets had sheared and the entire clutch assembly slammed into the case and shredded some of it! Fortunately I shut it down, and minimized any damage. And the original motor was replaced when I blew the head gaskets at 54k, so we used the basket from it. One Barnett clutch plate, one roller bearing and the oil pump chain is all I needed to buy. I run 10-40 synthetic and love it. And I can tell you from personal experience, the C will take 4.232 gallons from dead empty, coasting into the gas station!! I run Shinko's on the bike, and have for the entire 110,000 miles I've put on over the last 41 months. The price is right, the grip is great, the rain handling works fine, and the durability is wonderful. Replace the oil pump chain before you hit 70k miles (about when you replace the clutch, and go to a Barnett clutch pack - this thing is a torque pig!), rebuild or replace your brake and clutch master and slave cylinders around 100k and you should be good to go! If you ever get up this way, hit me up! I know all the best roads in Northern California!

Last edited by BikerJoeVTX1800c; 08-29-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page