From Moorpark, California - Page 2 - VTXOA
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 02:02 PM

Garage
Welcome to the VTXASG (VTX Addition Support Group) .... where we gladly support each other's addiction.

VTX 1800C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Today is January 01/2019, and I bought my VTX18C2 on 12/31/2018. Funny thing is that I bought my ST1100 on 12/31/2015, but I couldn't ride it for 2 months due to my broken arm sustained in a crash on my Kawasaki Mean Streak in November 2015. Bought the ST with the money I got from my insurance company from the accident. Now I am just receiving my Settlement from that accident, and I went out and got my true replacement, for the Streak, the VTX. I love the ST1100, but it was the same ride day in and day out, and I had to get a VTX to accompany it. The Streak was a fun ride, but the VTX 1800 over the Streaks 1600, no match.

Today, I finally took the VTX for my first ride. It was a sunny January 1st, but the San Ana winds were blowing cold. But the VTX took it without being blown around, unlike what my ST would have done with all it's plastic covering it so the wind can't get through, so it makes it an unhappy ride in high winds.

Anyway I wasn't letting the wind stop me. Drove the 65 miles to Palmdale to visit my brother, who has a Yamaha Raider. So took a picture of us both on our bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0390.jpg (687.5 KB, 8 views)
frnkcat and StarrRider like this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Got my VTX18C2 on Dec. 31st of 2018. Went for my first ride on New Years Day. Santa Ana winds were blowing hard and cold, but that didn't stop me. VTX didn't mind the winds at all, but I did. Rode the 65 miles to Palmdale to visit my brother, who has a Yamaha Raider. Found that the starter doesn't crank if I push the starter button all the way down, I have to find a sweet spot when pushing the button and the turn signals don't always work right away. My guess is that switches on the handlebars are the issues. Any comments on that?
frnkcat likes this.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Got my VTX18C2 on Dec. 31st of 2018. Went for my first ride on New Years Day. Santa Ana winds were blowing hard and cold, but that didn't stop me. VTX didn't mind the winds at all, but I did. Rode the 65 miles to Palmdale to visit my brother, who has a Yamaha Raider. Found that the starter doesn't crank if I push the starter button all the way down, I have to find a sweet spot when pushing the button and the turn signals don't always work right away. My guess is that switches on the handlebars are the issues. Any comments on that?
Welcome to the forum! The handlebar switches are a common problem with age.. Here are a couple of links that should help...

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/73-how-...itch-mtce.html

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-1...-overhaul.html

03 VTX 1800 C ~ Mustang seat, Cobra pipes, Highway bar, Memphis shade Windshield, Viking hard bags, Honda Sissy bar, and Luggage rack..
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:25 PM

Yep. everyone here has or will have that problem at one time or another, the above links should get you fixed up. It only takes about 30-40 minutes each to do the fixes the first time, even less when you have done it a time or two. If in a bind, a liberal spraying of WD-40 will work temporarily.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:03 PM

Welcome..... Lived in Oxnard and Camarillo until I was a sophomore in High School... many years ago.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

I read the post today, and wished I would have read before yesterday, as I took my switch apart and their were many things I would have done differently if I would have saw the video first. My turn signals are working, but they are so stiff. First thing I'm going to do is tackle that switch agin when I get home.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Got home and took the switch apart again and this time I did it right, just like the video, except I didn't have Silicone spray or the blue grease. Used brake cleaner, and grease that you pack wheel bearing in. But now it works perfectly.
StarrRider likes this.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:33 AM

Garage
Welcome aboard from San Antonio, Texas!

L'Chaim! To Life!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

My turn signals now working fine, except it bothers me regarding the one light flashing on the panel letting you know your turn signals are flashing, but not which one.

Anyway, my starter button wouldn't always start right away, so saw the video on that at:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...N8ZFOD4xbU2nov

After taking it apart and cleaning the contacts, my engine starts right away when the starter button is pressed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page