Hi, New VTX rider in Chicagoland. - VTXOA
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi, New VTX rider in Chicagoland.

Hi,
Tom here.
Life long rider here but new to the VTX.
A few weeks ago my dad, who is in his 80's and doesn't ride anymore, called me and asked if I'd like his bike.
It's an '05 VTX 1300R.
The timing was perfect. I'd been been without a bike for about 10 years but had been working on the wife for a new one. So I flew out to his little ranch in southeastern WY. We spent a day together just being lazy. The next day we headed out to the pole barn where he kept the bike. She was dirty and dusty but I could see the potential. Dad had the battery on a tinder and she started right up. The idle was a little rough but I had already prepared myself for that.
We both gave it a thorough inspection. We threw some air in the tires and I road it around the property for a few minutes. Then out to the dirt road and finally out to the hard surface (about 10miles away!). Everything seemed to work just fine. The bike had 3500 miles on it. The tires were my biggest concern. I had decided that I'd find a bike shop and at least have them inspected further or replaced. So we strapped my sissybar bag on and off I went.
Headed east towards the Scottsbluff National Monument for a few pics. Then finally north towards Rapid City.
I stopped for gas in Crawford, NE. The bike was handling well and so was I. After filling up - I put the key in the ignition and nothing. No lights no nothing. Time to practice a little Zen and Motorcycle maintenance. I pulled the seat off and found that the battery terminal wasn't secured when we put the battery back in. Rookie mistake! I tightened everything up and got lights. Push the start button and 1 click and nothing.
I figured the age of the battery and that it had probably so deeply discharged that I should get a new one. I started calling around. The closest one was about 25miles away. After a little negotiating 2 fine young men delivered the new and fully charged battery and installed it! Turn the key, lights! Push the start button and she fired right up! Off I went. My mid afternoon I was watching weather develop ahead of me so I shut down in Hot Springs, SD. The nice people at the hotel let me keep the bike under their overhand and out of the weather.
The next morning was bright and sunny. I headed up to see the presidents and more pics. Then over to Rapid City and to a small bike shop. Ross helped me out there. Good guy. He took the time to give the bike a nice once over. Recommended some additive for the rough idle and inspected the tires. No cracking or dry rotting. They were still supple and the tread was good. He said they'd get me home and probably through the rest of the riding season. That was all I needed. I still intended to stick to the back roads to get home. After several hours of riding a southerly route I ended up in the Badlands. More pics. I ended day 2 in Oacoma, SD. A nice hotel right on the shore of the Missouri River. I had a good dinner and then a quality cigar the end the evening before turning in.
The next morning I zig-zagged through SD and eventually into central IA. The high plains west of the Missouri River gave way to rolling green farmers fields. A different kind of landscape but still beautiful, in my opinion. I was enjoying the ride greatly! I ended up in Ames, IA for the night. The next morning I headed out right as the sun came up.
I figured I was about 7 hours from home. I had made my way to US-30. I took that road all the way to Aurora, IL - just a few miles from home. Passing through small towns along the way. People would wave, politely, to me. I hadn't experienced that in a very long time. I crossed the Mississippi and knew I had 2 hours to go. I stopped for a bite to eat and fuel and I was back on the road.
2 hours later I was in Naperville and home. The 1200mile journey recharged MY batteries.
The next morning I was up early washing and cleaning the bike. There is a LOT of chrome on this thing and she sure does shine when clean. I took the bike up to a local shop for them to do a more thorough inspection.
A day later the guy calls and says everything is good. The only thing he would do is change the oil and replace the air filter. Seems a mouse had been nesting in the air filter and it was a mess.
I also had them replace the tires
Anyhow - that's how I came to own my '02 VTX 1300R and I'm really diggin' it.
VTX53R, Curt E and TedlyM59 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:54 AM

Welcome to the forum. Great story!

You mention taking pics, why aren't they posted here? We need to see this bike.
tab2ib likes this.

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:29 PM

Garage
Welcome aboard.
tab2ib likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:42 PM

Garage
Welcome to the VTXASG (VTX Addition Support Group) .... where we gladly support each other's addiction.

It seems that you need NO help from us with your well-established addiction.

And I agree with Smurf, pics or it didn't happen!
smurfy71 and tab2ib like this.

VTX 1800C
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:17 PM

Welcome to the board where your questions will be answered
tab2ib likes this.

2003 c cobra floorboards-memphis windshield-roadhouse shorty
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:22 PM

Garage
Hello Tom, welcome to the VTXOA!!
A good travel summary to boot.
What does the fuel tank look like on the inside? Check for rust.

1200 mile journey and your VTX went from a 2005 to a 2002.

Clean and lube the shifter pedal pivot point, the Starter Switch, turn signal switch. Some info in Step by Step board.

Review the last 100 threads in the 1300 board and you will have found what all has been discussed.

Enjoy yourself! Most run 40 psi frt & rear.
Curt E and tab2ib like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,635 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 08-14-2019 at 05:45 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Guys, thanks for the advise and the warm welcome!
Inside of tank looks good, thanks. There's a pretty good "CLUNK" shifting from 1st to 2nd. I figured it's just because it's going past neutral to get there. Otherwise, the bike accelerates well and pulls strong thru all the gears. The idle has gotten significantly better.
Here are some random pics. Including pop filling the bike up Thanks dad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0690.jpg (283.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0712.jpg (155.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0706.jpg (203.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0708.jpg (188.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 58568084296__F7BCE214-1F9F-4842-B6D9-236D09D73BEB.jpg (262.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0707.jpg (375.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0704.jpg (290.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0757.jpg (113.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 58663459369__1E016032-F43E-4E66-94CA-630E5D52E350.jpg (120.5 KB, 1 views)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:38 PM

Garage
Welcome from north of the 49th.
I too will be looking forward to seeing your photos when you have enough posts (5 I think)
tab2ib likes this.

All the usual stuff .... Vance & Hines exhaust, Cobra Light Bar & Cobra Fatties highway bars, Mustang seats & backrests, Cavalry Custom Saddlebags w/Custom homebuilt bag mounts, Kuryakyn Run/Brake/Turn unit, desmogged w/pair valve removed, decapitated air box, Tsukayu fairing, Clocks4Bikes clock .....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:29 PM
Old Goat

tab2ib likes this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:26 PM

Congrats on the bike and the road trip.
tab2ib likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page