New bike and loving it, but I NEED HELP. - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

New bike and loving it, but I NEED HELP.

My wife just got a 2004 VTX1800r and love it. We are young and newly wed and this is our first bike together. Just had a little trouble today and would really like some help. We have taken it for several rides and put about 200 miles on it. About a week and a half ago the whole bike lost all electrical power while riding. I pulled off to the side of the road popped off the seat with my tool kit and the battery cables were loose. Tightened them down and everything seemed to be fine. Well earlier today when I took it out it died again. I was about to park it to go inside and it died before I even put it in neutral. Also the kick stand was still up. I pulled the seat off again and the terminals were still tight but the bike wasn’t getting any power so I got my wife to bring me a multimeter and I tested the battery. It was still reading correct voltage. I checked all the fuses and they all appeared to be good. I didn’t know where to go from here as I’m still pretty new to the bikes mechanics. I didn’t want to dig much deeper out in the parking lot. But now I am looking for some suggestions. The bike has been acting kind of funny the last 100 miles or so. There were a couple times when I turned it off and it kinda hesitated to start but did after a moment, but it never lost electrical power completely. Like it has now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We love riding and I really want to learn how to operate on this bike myself if possible. I am pretty handy with most things so I feel like if I get some direction I might be able to get her back in working order. By the way her name is Black Betty as we live way down in Alabam’ and she is a beautiful black bike. We love her and want to get back on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:54 PM

Garage
I posted on the other thread.
Welcome to the VTXOA!

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,635 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 08-14-2019 at 11:09 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
I posted on the other thread.
Welcome to the VTXOA!
Thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page