Trying not to die, Morro Bay - VTXOA
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
God

Trying not to die, Morro Bay

Well here I am.
I bought my X about 3 weeks ago. 2002 vtx 1800 s(or maybe r?)
With 50k miles. I got it from the original owner who is a motorcycle mechanic and retired shop teacher at Cuesta college for $1800.
I wouldn't be here if the bike hadn't given me issues. After stalking around here though I managed to fix those issues with a ground fix and a new fpr. And while I was here I figured I might as well create an account, say hi, and chip in some unasked-for advice every now and then.

I'm 23, yes I know, and have been riding since California has legally allowed me to. I started on a 81 yammie virago 750, then went to a 03 Honda cb750, then a Honda Shadow 1100 which was swept out from under me by a white vw Jetta at 30 mph. After that I had a 83 Suzuki gs1100(which was the fastest bike by 1/4 mile time when it was released). Now I'm here, back on a sexy, reliable Honda. Thank me for that.

I do have to warn you that I have strong opinions on things and little self control(you know, like most kids my age). With that prefaced, let me tell you: if you have a car tire anywhere on your bike, you're a ****ing dumbass and I don't want to hear from you. Tires are the single most important aspect of any vehicle by a damned landslide. more so than hp, than your suspension, than your clutch or even your ****ing brakes. A tire malfunction is just about the only kind of mechanical failure that WILL cause an accident. If your brakes go out, friction and engine braking can stop you in 30 seconds or less. If your throttle sticks, you have the Killswitch right there. If a tire loses traction because it wasn't made with the right compounds to be used on a bike and you slide out, there nothing you can do. No matter how good you think you can handle your bike, you're going down. I know that not Many of you reading this have the best understanding of inertia or friction coefficients or tire design, but take it from the experts: saving $40 is not worth risking your life.
steveroy60 likes this.

Espresso and motorcycles both have a way of making us feel alive, happy and free. Both of these thing, however, can be ruined if you don't start with good G R O U N D S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:19 AM

Garage
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:02 AM

Cool

Welcome from Daytona Beach, enjoy and ride safely.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:11 AM

Alrighty then. Welcome.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:45 AM

Welcome from Arizona!

So are you thinking about getting new tires or have you already bought new tires? What brand tires do you want or have? I run Michelin Commander II's at the moment, no complaints.
Xerothermic likes this.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)

Last edited by VTXArizona; 09-20-2019 at 08:48 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:22 AM

Garage
Welcome aboard. You should fit right in, lol...
StarrRider and DrDolittle like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
God

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXArizona View Post
Welcome from Arizona!

So are you thinking about getting new tires or have you already bought new tires? What brand tires do you want or have? I run Michelin Commander II's at the moment, no complaints.
The PO left the oem recommended metzelers but I'll probably put on michelins. I like thier high silica content for the added treadwear and wet traction. Though if you don't ride often, michelins have a tendency to dry rot a few years faster than other premium brands.

Espresso and motorcycles both have a way of making us feel alive, happy and free. Both of these thing, however, can be ruined if you don't start with good G R O U N D S.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt E View Post
Welcome aboard. You should fit right in, lol...
That would be a first in my life. If you're right, I'm looking forward to it!

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
God

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
Alrighty then. Welcome.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg
Your signature is really funny and I remember seeing it all over this forum. It's a good reminder to not take ourselves too seriously, its all about having fun in the end.
smurfy71 likes this.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Your signature is really funny and I remember seeing it all over this forum. It's a good reminder to not take ourselves too seriously, its all about having fun in the end.

Is this really God?

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page