Vibration comments - VTXOA
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Chicago-Spike
  • 1 Post By Chicago-Spike
  • 1 Post By Hans&Feet

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Vibration comments

Is no one going to address the actual real reason for VTX vibration some worse than others due to having closer factory weight limits i.e. Engine balancing. No aircraft engine has bad vibrations due to tolerances on weight being a whole lot closer than autos. There's really only 3 ways to actually fix not mask. 1:Rubber or hybrid engine mounts cuz has solid mounts which transfer everything. 2: harmonic balancer like cars have. 3: rebuild engine hv engine blue printed, so know exact weights and stats, and balanced. Solid engine mounts why High Dollar, hd's, had vibration for 30yrs. My'06 1300c just got has only slight vibration so guess I got lucky. Ty baby Jesus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

A fluid vibration dampener offered by many sights will, should, work. I plan on getting one so will post results.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Wobble?

What Wobble are ppl talking about on 1300's? Do all hv it? Is it only high speed, highway or city or both? I'm no motorcycle mech but am car mech and aircraft mech, so isn't wobble usually caused by bearings somewhere on motorcycles?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROSTYQ View Post
Is no one going to address the actual real reason for VTX vibration some worse than others due to having closer factory weight limits i.e. Engine balancing. No aircraft engine has bad vibrations due to tolerances on weight being a whole lot closer than autos. There's really only 3 ways to actually fix not mask. 1:Rubber or hybrid engine mounts cuz has solid mounts which transfer everything. 2: harmonic balancer like cars have. 3: rebuild engine hv engine blue printed, so know exact weights and stats, and balanced. Solid engine mounts why High Dollar, hd's, had vibration for 30yrs. My'06 1300c just got has only slight vibration so guess I got lucky. Ty baby Jesus!
Yes, it's been hashed over almost 20 years ago when the VTX was first released in 2001. It's in our How To, Step-by-Step board
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/1966461-post3.html
DrDolittle and Piotr1 like this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:13 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
What Wobble are ppl talking about on 1300's? Do all hv it? Is it only high speed, highway or city or both? I'm no motorcycle mech but am car mech and aircraft mech, so isn't wobble usually caused by bearings somewhere on motorcycles?
Yes, it's the steering head bearings on the 1300. The 1800 has a different type so when the 1300 owners starts to feel the wobble they swap out to the 1800 type
DrDolittle likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Thank you, Gabby Johnson, for this most recent example of Authentic Frontier Gibberish.
And welcome to the VTXOA.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Last edited by dud-57; 10-14-2019 at 02:11 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:25 PM

Garage
Question

Quote:
............ Ty baby Jesus!
Huh??
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:37 PM

Garage
Tires are the main cause of "wobble".
I had the good taper bearings on my 1300 and had a tire that would wobble when I let go at decel for a light or a stop sign.
Only once with one brand.

Vibration from a V-twin is normal.
Tuning will affect it.
I removed the stock mufflers and added JC whitney mufflers.
A weird vibration at 52 MPH made me want to puke.
My HK exhaust depending on what I do with the back pressure (lollipop) affects vibration.
Put your hand on the fuel tank and feel the vibes.
VTX engines have rotating balancing shafts. 1300 is single pin, 1800 has two pin crankshaft.
VTX 1300 rotating mass pix, crankshaft and balancers. A hefty crankshaft!
Latest spec I found was 41 lbs for the 1800 crankshaft.

Flat aircraft engines crankshaft have opposing pistons to minimize vibration.
Attached Images
File Type: png Honda 1300 OEM Parts Diagram for Crankshaft Piston Partzilla.png (71.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png Honda 1300 OEM Parts Diagram for Balancer Partzilla.png (76.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: png 1800 VTX Balancer.png (52.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png 1800 VTX Crankshaft - Pistons.png (57.6 KB, 0 views)
DrDolittle likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 10-16-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page