Getting back in to riding after 25 years, in Arizona - VTXOA
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jameslaz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Getting back in to riding after 25 years, in Arizona

Hi All VTXOA members,

My name is James and I am just getting back in to riding after over a 25 year break. A little background. I got my first bike when I was 7, a Honda Mini 50 and moved up to a Honda RV 125 (bored out to a 160) and road many other family bikes mainly Maico 250 and other similar bikes. That lasted until I was about 20 and then I gave it up and moved to cars only. At age 30 I got the urge to ride again but wanted to go street so I got a used KZ900 and then a couple others to play with and was enjoying riding again. I had only been back to riding for less than a year when my aging mother informed me she was not sleeping, when I asked why she informed me my riding was giving her nightmares. being a good (mamma's boy) son I stopped riding and sold my bikes. Now advance to me at 55 now with my dear mother recently passed and the urge to ride hit me again strong.

I was not really sure what bike I wanted so I just started looking to see what was out there, I had been out so long I was out of touch with the motorcycle world (and still am). I started reading some online info on good cheep big bikes. The Honda VTX 1300 seemed to keep coming up over and over and as really good option and they can be gotten so cheep. I ended up getting a 2007 Honda VTX 1300C with about 16K miles on it. The upgrades it came with are basic leather saddle bags an upgraded Saddlemen seat a cracked Memphis Shades windscreen, Highway Bars with extra foot pegs, sissy-bar and a few odds and ends like extra helmets and a cover and extra K&N filter. I paid $3000 for the bike and feel like I got a decent deal.

Now I had never ridden a bike that big, low, heavy or powerful. Combine the 25 years of not ridding and the unfamiliar bigger, lower more powerful bike and my first ride had me thinking I was out of my mind. I went around the block a few times and by my second ride I was feeling that familiar feeling and having a better command over my bike. I have had the bike for a few months now and I so enjoy my rides.

Now that I am all in and want to keep riding I want to upgrade my bike. I have already picked out some Viking Saddlebag (waiting for the right sale) and I have a few pieces or trim picked out to make it look a bit better. I am hopping some of you long time more familiar VTX 1300 owners can suggest the best upgrades and addons.

I look forward to getting to know some of you and thank you all in advance for any advise.

Thanks,
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2007 Honday VTX 1300C.jpeg (302.1 KB, 5 views)
VTX53R and Curt E like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 10:37 AM

Garage
Welcome to the community from north of the 49th.
I also returned to riding at 55, and a 1300 as well.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:06 AM

Welcome to the forum, from east Texas.

04 1800 C.....Candy Orange Flame....R.I.P.
07 1800 C.....Well that's what the title said

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:08 AM
Old Goat

Welcome...as u know these bikes are long out of production...still OEM parts...but aftermarket has all but dried up...plenty of intel on the forum...others will be along...enjoy and “Happy Trails”....

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:20 AM

Garage
Hello James,welcome to the VTXOA!
Maintenance items like brake fluid, coolant, valve clearance, rear shock bushings and tire age should be considered.
Do you have the tool kit and behind it is the Owner's manual.
Miles vs time, Starter Switch clean and lube. There is a Step by Step board that has info on the switch cleaning and other items..
There is no designated time to change fork oil but as the dust enters the fork it begins to coat the springs.
Looks like grease on the springs and and smells like a dead skunk. I started using Synthetic ATF and it looks better.
Any mtce records with your X?

The saddle bag on the exhaust pipe needs help, good thing you are looking for a sale.

I have a Memphis Shades windshield.
I could not live with the large, long heavy exhaust pipe so replaced the mufflers than the entire exhaust.

Various grades of grit from 200/400/800/1000 wet sandpaper than polishing will make your wheels shine. Ditto for the forks.
Some have polished the brake disk also.
There is a search tool at the top of the screen and I frequently use Google "vtxoa: search term" so this is a valid search "vtxoa: bushings"

Have fun! Enjoy the ride!

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 12:28 PM

Welcome to the board where your questions will be answered

2003 c cobra floorboards-memphis windshield-roadhouse shorty
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 01:55 PM

Welcome from East Mesa Arizona!

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:47 PM

Garage
Welcome aboard. Nice bike. Great to have that wind therapy once again.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:16 PM

Garage
Hey James. Welcome from central New Mexico. My cousin just moved from Gilbert. It's a nice area but very busy. I used to own a uranium green 2007 1300C. Loved it but I moved up to the 1800. Be safe riding.

08 VTX1800F Cobra pipes, PC III, ROX 2"risers

"I have never been lost. I was once bewildered for three days, but I was never lost." Daniel Boone
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 01:01 AM

Welcome to the site. Getting to be a number of AZ people. You're newest . . cookout at your house.

When you are young you want what everyone else has . . when you are old you want what everyone else had.
D. Lee Schulte I ride a Honda because Toyota doesn't make motorcycles. 2005 VTX 1800N3 (black)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page