HELP!!! Bike Stranded/broken in Madison - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

HELP!!! Bike Stranded/broken in Madison

I was at a class at Madison Area Tech College, and when I came out an hour later, I realized I had left my ignition on (ya, dumb me). I was in a hurry to get to my class. When I came out, my lights were dim, and the ignition would not turn over.

My questions:

1- Take a look at my timeline of events and let me know what you think might be wrong with my bike (06 VTX1300).
2- Any recommendations on where to have my bike fixed in the area (cheap pickup). I've used Vetesniks for service, but they're not cheap and they don't pick up. If I had a way to transport to Vetesniks cheap, Iíd consider that route.

Here's what I did after finding my bike ďonĒ.

Tried to turn it over, nothingÖ

Buddies tried to push start the bike with me (no luck). Didnít think it would (was desperate).

I tried to jump start the bike from a friendís car (had success doing this once in the past), but this time around it didnít do anything. Now, the headlights are completely out, but the turn signal lights (and instrument panel lights work).

My buddies tell me itís for sure the battery (since Iíve jumped it before, they say itís not going to work jumping it againÖ fried?). Bike sits overnight (I donít sleep well without my bike safe in my garage).

I return today after purchasing a brand new battery. I install the battery, and itís the same as before (lights to dash/turn signals, but not to headlights, and the ignition doesnít make a sound). I call Vetesniks and they tell me itís likely the battery connection, a relay, or the ignition switch.

I doubt itís the battery terminal connection, as thereís NOTHING coming to the headlight, itís not dim, nothing. But I get full lights to the dash and signalsÖ I am wondering if I fried something while jump starting it? Iíve jumped lots of things and did it correctly (at least I think).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:01 PM

When jumping a motorcycle from a car, it's best to make sure the car is NOT running. Just let the battery charge up for a bit and then try starting it.

You may have blown a fuse. I seem to recall reading something about a similar incident, but my memory is fuzzy on it so I could be wrong.

However, when you say that you have power, just not to the headlight and that it doesn't even try to turn over, that sounds like the start switch problem. When jumping the bike, you might have burned the start switch contacts. It won't hurt to clean those up and see what happens.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endy View Post
When jumping a motorcycle from a car, it's best to make sure the car is NOT running. Just let the battery charge up for a bit and then try starting it.

You may have blown a fuse. I seem to recall reading something about a similar incident, but my memory is fuzzy on it so I could be wrong.

However, when you say that you have power, just not to the headlight and that it doesn't even try to turn over, that sounds like the start switch problem. When jumping the bike, you might have burned the start switch contacts. It won't hurt to clean those up and see what happens.
Thank you sir... Problem, I have two young kids at home now. Not sure how feasible it will be to keep driving back to MATC to work on my MC... (time constraints). not even sure where the start switch contacts would be?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:10 PM

CORRECT - never just try to jump and leave -

Like Endy Stated - leave the connection connected for min of 20 min -
Go walk away - they try to start still connected.

Make sure you have solid connection -

90% of jumpers cables are junk.
Go get a new set if close by.

Test jump connection turning on key - to see if Head light is bright - turn key off - walk away.

There's 2 points to jump charge-
1. At the battery-

2. Starter Relay - if seat is not able to be removed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Scoots 07 Neo III 03 18C ServMan Wiring Dia
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:13 PM

Just be sure the new battery you installed has a full charge prior to installation. Tighten those cables with a wrench or socket. Don`t use a trickle charger, use an actual battery charger - Hope that helps !
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihonda View Post
Thank you sir... Problem, I have two young kids at home now. Not sure how feasible it will be to keep driving back to MATC to work on my MC... (time constraints). not even sure where the start switch contacts would be?
Here's a good guide to read up on it. (I know it says for Valkyrie's, but it's pretty much the same for all Honda's.)

Definitely wait to see if someone else has advice so you can try a few different things when you go back.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:17 PM

Garage
The switch contacts are in the button you push to start the bike. Take apart, clean contacts. Be careful not to lose parts.

With the people left unguided, For so many troubled years
In a cloud of doubts and fears, Their world was torn asunder into hollow Hemispheres......Neal Peart
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihonda View Post
not even sure where the start switch contacts would be?
Then may have dual problems - as stated.

Start button Switch.

Fuses

Verify it cranks - mini jump with pliers at start relay main large cables -
There's a better way using the low signal circuit at relay with a small wire.

I'll have to find that print view.

Lighted circuit tester will verify all fuses in a minute vs pulling them all out - painful.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Scoots 07 Neo III 03 18C ServMan Wiring Dia
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

New Battery is in

I don't think it's the Batt connection, because there's ZERO light to the headlight. If there was a weak connection, there'd be some light right? This leads me to believe a fuse is blown. Where is the fuse box, and what are some common fuse types? I could swing by an auto parts store (on the way there) and snag a few different fuses to try out? The starter connection burnout is an interesting theory, where is that located?

Thanks again.
Erik
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Just learned my auto insurance has included roadside assistance with no deductible. If the simple fuse fix doesn't help, I might have to get it transported to a shop?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page