HID Headlight - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Help\HID Headlight

I need some help. I am looking at updating my headlamp to a hid system.
I have noticed that prices are all over the board. I found two complete kit for the H4 HI/Low setup.
One system is 55.00 and other is 159.00. The 55.00 system draws 6 amps at start up cold and the 149 system draws 4.5 amps cold.
My first question is will either system damage the vtx1800 starter switch?
The secound question is why the big price differance? Anyone know
Both systems have gotten pretty good reviews on the boards here.
Here are the systems I have been looking at.
DDM Turing model hidbikedual
www.ddmtuning.com

KB Car Stuff Model 4300k motorcylr BI-Xenon HID Conversion kit
www.kbcarstuff.com

Thanks ahead of time for everyone input.

John

03 1800c Uranium Green
Mustang Seat Corba Tach Honda luggage rack/sissy bar D&D Exhaust Custom Made Air Filter
PFC-30D Profire Coils Rivco Air Horns Scott Performance plug wires Dynojet Power Commander III USB Fish Kickstand Coyote Gas Cap Hinge Paladin Highway Bar LED Radiator Trim Lights LED Brake Light Honda Driveshaft Cover Marlin Clock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 AM

HID's do not like to be short cycled on/off/on. Some of the HIDs I have looked at have the high beam as a regular incandescent bulb and the low beam as an HID. Some will run the HID bulb for both high and low and simply move the reflector (magnetic contacts) back and forth. In either case I think I would want to add a switch so that you can keep the headlight off until the bike has been started then flip it on.

As we all know, the starter switch is the weak electrical link in the headllight circuit. The stock 55W headlamp draws around 4A. There are a few that run the 65W bilb (5.5A) and report no problems. You can always add a relay.

[SIGPIC]https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=324&dateline=12263298 49[/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:22 PM

...Hey, send a PM to: NDAna on the board. He sells an HID kit for our VTX's for $90 ...He has a ton of satisfied customers including myself with his HID light kit. Thought about installing running lights as well, but after I saw how bright this HID was, I don't need them runnin lights! ....This HID light is so damn bright, you gotta see it to believe it. Definately check him out! Great guy with an awesome product!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Johnzz1420 I will give him a shout. The price is right.

John

03 1800c Uranium Green
Mustang Seat Corba Tach Honda luggage rack/sissy bar D&D Exhaust Custom Made Air Filter
PFC-30D Profire Coils Rivco Air Horns Scott Performance plug wires Dynojet Power Commander III USB Fish Kickstand Coyote Gas Cap Hinge Paladin Highway Bar LED Radiator Trim Lights LED Brake Light Honda Driveshaft Cover Marlin Clock
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy40 View Post
Thanks Johnzz1420 I will give him a shout. The price is right.

John
...No worries bro! ...been awhile since I've had my HID. I think his (NDAna) name is Sam? ...tell him JohnZ sent ya!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Hey Johnzz
I ordered mine today. I'll let you know how it works out. I am also putting on a honda lightbar. So I think I should have enough light for the 4 wheelers to see me and see bambi on the road. Well maybe.
Thanks for letting know about sam. He had some very good info on his product.

03 1800c Uranium Green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page