Honda VTX Forum banner

What's your most miles per tank?

3K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  nate6966 
#1 ·
My fuel light didn't kick on today until reaching 164 miles. I fueled up at mile 175. While that's not groundbreaking for some bikes, I reckon it is quite admirable for the VTX—gotta love them big[ger] Retro tanks :)

Most of these miles were a leisurely 45-65 mph through windy and sweeping mountain alpine forest roads with an elevation gain and loss of 8,000'.

I do believe 175 is my all time highest. And I could have gone farther as I only dispensed 4.4 gals back into the tank (I have filled up with 4.8 gals in the past). Furthermore, I could also have extended the range if I didn't blast down the freeway at 75-80 mph for ~12 miles or so.

Anybody here get near 200 miles on a tank?

#30 ·
2007 VTX1800 F (4.8 gal flangeless tank)
My typical is start looking for fuel stop at about 155-160 miles (low fuel light comes on anytime between 150 and 165), highest mileage I ever had at fuel up was 183 miles during a group highway ride.
As frnkcat does, I always calc my mileage. It gives me a constant way to keep tabs on how my bike is running, watching for unexpected changes. My normal is 39 mpg for city/commute riding, 37 for interstate riding (I'm a bit "speedy"), and usually 42+ for highway riding.

#31 ·
My 1300 R will almost without exception go over 200 mi before hitting reserve. I ride pretty easy most of the time and the bike is totally stock in terms of intake, exhaust, and carb adjustment. Overall average is around 53 mpg, has yet to get below 50, and best to date is 56. I've done almost 240 miles between fill-ups and assuming the tank truly holds 4.8 gal max Range would be 268 miles- enough to get me from home in southern Maine to New York City on a tank of gas.

#33 · (Edited)
LOL! I'd argue that running out of gas at the pump would be better, but the stress and anxiety SUCKED!
I was on a ride with a couple buddies (one on a Road King, one on a Goldwing - both far greater range than my 1800F) when we finally approached a gas station. NO JOKE nojoke - my bike stalls out as I'm going into the turn lane to head into the gas station - a split second white knuckle coast across the oncoming lane of traffic (it was clear enough, but made the oncoming guy brake - NOT ideal :yikes:). I had to get my feet down and shove it once or twice to reach a pump... Yeah, that was not a fun one.

I had to sit there and take the crap the other two guys were giving me. I would'a left 'em in the dust to show what I get for performance along with the gas mileage, but like I said - Dale was on a Goldwing and he would have QUICKLY put me in my place.

The mileage? I don't remember exactly, but before we approached that little town I remember looking down and thinking "183 miles, damn, we better see a station coming up"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.