Honda VTX Forum banner

Noises and squeaks...

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JKeown9 
#1 ·
I have a new-to-me 2006 VTX 1800F3, and am curious about a "squeak" from the rear, that my wife professes she hears at slow speeds as I turn to park it in our garage? I, myself, can only hear it with the engine off while backing it in neutral(I ride with ear plugs and usually music playing on my Cardo Packtalk Slim), and figured the rear brake pads are dragging a bit on the rotor (without the brake actually engaged); but the wife says she can hear it with the engine running when I am pulling in from my ride home from work. I am certain it is just the rear brake pads, but I also have the new owner paranoia, about my own ignorance to an existing issue... The bike now has around 14.8k miles on it (14.5k when I bought it from a used motorcycle dealer who completely serviced it and put on brand new tires). Thought about just taking the caliper off and testing my theory, but the bike is miles away right now temporarily stored at my brother's house.

#5 ·
Mine does the same thing. It is the rear pads dragging sometimes. I removed the caliper and moved the bike back and forth and the sound was gone. I replaced the caliper and the sound was back. I suspect I have a slightly warped rotor, because the sound is not constant and changes as the wheel rotates. Strangely, if I am at a stand still and apply the rear brakes hard, the sound will be gone, so maybe it isn’t a rotor, but a sticking piston or slight amount of air in the line.

#6 ·
That was my issue when I had a crazy squeak. Sissy bar was installed incorrectly. Caused an insane squeak between the back fender and (I am sure it has a proper name, but I dont know it) the straight chrome part that runs down both sides of the fender. I didnt like the sissy bar anyway. Took it off and installed the bolts correctly and it solved the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.