VTXOA - View Single Post - Backfire on decel
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
buster711

Backfire on decel

Hi folks, I bought this 07 VTX 1300 about 12 days ago in Ohio...The whole way back to Pa. ran like a champ..Has ran like a champ UNTIL while planning a trip to Fla on July 19th figured should do some maintenance....Probably should have left it alone with only 24k miles on it.
I drained changed the oil, coolant, and rear gear lube...Lifted tank for access to rad cap and after changing the coolant I hooked a hose to the fuel line opening pulled from petcock, and while pouring fuel into a funnel up on other end of tube held @ eye level started the bike...It ran 20 sec or so then quit...So I started again and it ran less...So put that fuel line back in place, pushed the tank back on, started it and waited until coolant was visible coming onto rag have way down from cap...Thought all was well until next day when pulled out of shed and started....Ran about 20 sec and quit...Happened 3 - 4 times till I quit because of drain on battery..Hooked the trickle charger up to it and after coming home @ night charge lite was off meaning charged...Before starting took a real good look around everywhere I was working on it and found a tiny hose (perhaps a breather) disconnected from left rear side of pet cock...Put that back on and started...Seemed OK....Next day started up but had a backfire on decel...Has had it since...I saw mentioned on here "should not need choke" well I did try using it briefly but stopped when had no affect.....
I'm nervous about riding this awesome machine to Florida from Pa like this because I know this issue can't be good for the engine, carbs etc.
Any help deeply appreciated.
Thanks soooo much,
Buster
PS. Has drag pipes but did not backfire prior to doing this work on it.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome