Honda VTX Forum banner

Greetings from Texas!

785 views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  God 
#1 ·
I’m a very new rider (3 months) and started with a Shadow 750. The bike quickly felt “small” (I’m 6’2”) so I started the hunt for my “forever bike”. Just don’t tell my wife that concept doesn’t really exist. I bit the bullet on Friday and traded in my Shadow for a beautiful 2002 VTX 1800S with under 10k miles on it. I’ve added about 200 miles already and absolutely love it. I was able to keep my saddle bags and bracket so I just for those all set up. Tomorrow, my brother and I will hit the roads for a nice 5 hour trip around central Texas.

#5 ·
P.S. That’s a seventeen year old bike so it’s done way more sitting than riding. So unless you are positive that all fluids have been changed recently it’s a good idea to make that investment. And check the dates on your tires too. I’m not as strict about a “six year rule” as some folks are, but tire age is something to be mindful of. Indoor storage can help slow the effects of aging but all rubber starts to degrade (albeit very slowly) essentially just as soon as it is formed.

#8 ·
Welcome from West Virginia. I concur with dud-57's recommendation for practice with low-speed maneuvers as well as his maintenance and safety tips. I think you'll find the difference in weight, balance and handling between your Shadow and your VTX to be significant. I sure did when I came to the VTX from an Intruder 1500. My tip: Wheels straight when you stop! Don't ask how I know!

#13 ·
Sure you’ve noticed a huge difference between the Shadow and the 1800VTX. So, Be careful. Even after many years of riding, there’s always more to learn. Take advantage of a motorcycle riding course in your area if you’ve not already. Take it slow. You’ll enjoy that bike for sure.

#16 ·
Welcome! And I can't recommend enough to you that you should find an empty parking lot and practice parking, tight turns, and fast stops to get used to your big new bike. It's something that I do with every new bike and will help you not look like a newb when in public

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.