Honda VTX Forum banner

bleeding front brake after brake pad change

416 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hans&Feet 
#1 ·
before i put new pads on, i have very little brake pressure to be begin with...i changed the break pads, and it got worse..i have about 10% pressure on lever, allmost no front brake..the lever is sponge, and i can pull it against the grip.

i tyied bledding it, taking resevoir cap off, , i would squeeze the break lever a few times and hold it, loose break valvue, tigten it ...release the break lever and pump some more, hold it tight, loose break valvue, tighten it...lossen break lever.....its the same all the time..cannot get the break lever to grip

i bought a vaccum pump...
1. took resevoir cap off
2. hooked up pump, appled 10 to the pump, loosen the break valvue, fluid would drain from resevoir, and i would then tighten the valvue, and pump the valvcumm again, release break valvue.......tighten it....pump the vacumm pump again. add fluid to resevoir, release valvue, drain fluid tighten it...

do i have to pump the break lever at some time in this procedure...i cannot get pressure on the break lever,,,,never is pressure...i am doing someting wrong?????

#3 ·
Probably an air bubble at the master cylinder in the banjo.
Bubbles want to go up... Makes it difficult at times.

Cover all painted surfaces...

Do not pump the master with multiple strokes of the lever, you can create more air bubbles.
You can pull lever, loosen banjo, let air out, close... Then repeat a few more times if you get good fluid.
I sometimes use my finger as a simple bleeder valve on the caliper..

Pull lever, open caliper bleed valve, place finger lightly over the bleed valve.
With lever at full stroke, release finger pressure, see/hear if anything is coming out. Increase finger pressure >Release lever.
Pull again, and hope for some air pressure from bleeder. If anything is coming out you are making progress.
Continue until fluid comes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.