How do I put Iron on patches on leather. - Page 2 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't get back right away... I took the advice of the majority and had the patches sewn on. Took it to a taylor and they charged $10 for a large (10 X 12) and $4 for smaller ones. It looks great, very professional. So good that I had to take the 101 Mile Drive (Rim of the World Highway) thru the San Bernardino Mountains today. Lots of bikes in Big Bear, even saw a great looking red VTX 1300C.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranniedoc
Sorry I didn't get back right away... I took the advice of the majority and had the patches sewn on. Took it to a taylor and they charged $10 for a large (10 X 12) and $4 for smaller ones. It looks great, very professional. So good that I had to take the 101 Mile Drive (Rim of the World Highway) thru the San Bernardino Mountains today. Lots of bikes in Big Bear, even saw a great looking red VTX 1300C.
Thanks again.
Glad you had a harmonius outcome.

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 01:57 PM

I sew and do leather work. The best way to put patches on is by sewing. If they have that iron on crap on the back, make sure you iron it on some cheap piece of fabric so the glue won't get on the leather. Using glue on a patch is the best way to ruin a piece of leather.

It doesn't take a special sewing machine to put patches on. If you want to hand sew the patches, get some glover's needles. They are much easier to use, but still a difficult way to go.

For those of you who have taken sewn patches off leather, get some good leather conditioner and soak the little holes. Keep soaking them and gently tug at the leather. As the conditioner works into the leather, the leather expands and the holes will either disappear or become less visible.

For those of you with damage to your leather from glue, I'm sorry, but the only way to "fix" it is to put another patch over it. You can get the excess glue off, but it usually takes the surface of the leather off with it. You can try to re-dye it, but the damage is permanent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'06 VTX1300c with extra stuff
There are many realities. Choose yours. Leave mine alone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page