CBR1000RR Clutch Problems: No Pressure! - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to xbi0s Send a message via MSN to xbi0s
CBR1000RR Clutch Problems: No Pressure!

Hey Folks,

This a post looking for some answers for a friend. He stored his bike in early November 2007 for winter. We have had a looonnnggg winter and went to go ride it yesterday.

He started it up, let it run for a bit, then sat on it to back it out of his drive. As he was backing up, he squeezed in the clutch and felt no pressure. He continued backing, squeezed the clutch and attempted to drop it into 1st. The tranny of course did not want to go into gear, the typical feeling of not engaging the clutch. He squeezed the clutch a few times to see if pressure would build up; it never did.

He drained the clutch (bleeder is up at the top of the line) and refilled his resevoir. He also opened the bleeder and attempted to pump the line to see if he could release any air. Still, no pressure.

He said he searched his garage floor for any puddles. He didn't have any at all.

Any suggestions or help??

Thanks!

2008 VTX1800N2 - V&H Big Shots, MS Batwing, Hogtunes MSA-1, MTC Clutch, Kuryakyn Hi-Five, PCIII, Mustang Seat, Cobra Fatty Bars,... the list goes on...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 08:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to av8r
bad master cylinder. Seals are leaking by. My best guess

bLaCk bIkE
sHinY sTuFf
loUd sTuFf
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 09:05 PM

If it worked fine when he put it away, it seems odd that it wouldn't work now, especially since there doesn't seem to be a leak anywhere. Damn non-working ***t!

Sounds like he only replaced the fluid in the reservoir and didn't bleed the thing all the way through (from the bleeder on the clutch slave, down below). Have him turn the handlebars all the way to the right, so the clutch reservoir is as high and level as possible. Carefully remove the cover and drain a small amount of fluid out of the reservoir. Now carefully work the lever a few times and then hold it tight to the grip. Now zip tie the lever to the grip, cover the reservoir with a clean cloth and leave it sit overnight. The next day, with the lever still zip tied to the grip, wrap a clean cloth around the upper bleeder (the bolt that holds the brake line to the reservoir) and carefully crack it loose. Only open it a bit and then close it right away. Either air or fluid will come out. If it's fluid, see if you can build up some pressure and then bleed the system at the lower bleeder (on the clutch slave). If it's air, carefully work the lever a few times and then crack that upper bleeder again, while holding the lever all the way to the grip. Repeat this procedure until fluid comes out that upper bleeder and then bleed the thing like you normally would, using the lower bleeder. If after all that you're still getting bubbles in the reservoir, then he does indeed have a leak somewhere (as av8r said) and then y'all have bigger fish to fry...

Good luck!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Riding like my ass is on fire since 1982.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice folks... We'll see what we can get =)

2008 VTX1800N2 - V&H Big Shots, MS Batwing, Hogtunes MSA-1, MTC Clutch, Kuryakyn Hi-Five, PCIII, Mustang Seat, Cobra Fatty Bars,... the list goes on...

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 02:36 PM

I didn't know the 1000's had a hyd. clutch?? Anyway, are you sure the clutch plates are not just stuck together? This is fairly common when storing a bike for a long time. Sometimes it takes a bit to get them loosened up. Other than that I'm not sure?? If that isn't the problem I would guess the master cylinder needs a rebuild.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 02:47 PM

I assume that on the outlet of the master you'll find a banjo bolt. With the bars turned to place that at its highest point loosen the bolt slightly and bleed it there. Be sure you have a rag under it so as not to get the fluid on the bike. My guess is that is where you'll find the problem.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black hills
I didn't know the 1000's had a hyd. clutch?? Anyway, are you sure the clutch plates are not just stuck together? This is fairly common when storing a bike for a long time. Sometimes it takes a bit to get them loosened up. Other than that I'm not sure?? If that isn't the problem I would guess the master cylinder needs a rebuild.
Black hills, I used to have that problem with my Ducati after I washed it. The small amount of water that would get into the clutch pack through the open clutch cover would cause the plates to stick together something awful. One time, I actually had to disassemble the clutch pack, just to get the thing to release! After that incident, I started putting my stock cover on it when I washed it. Anyway, even when the pack wouldn't separate, there was pressure at the lever. When I installed the MTC clutch in my X, I had the same problem (the clutch plates would stick together after sitting for several hours). However, there was always pressure at the lever and it would always release when I banged it into first. My solution there is to start the bike and hold the clutch lever in while I back the bike out of my garage (5 to ten seconds). Works like a charm. No, my guess in xbi0s' friend's case is that there's air in the line. There might have been air in the line to begin with and dude just made it worse when he tried to fix it.

Silvervtx04s, great minds think alike, eh?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by black hills
Black hills, I used to have that problem with my Ducati after I washed it. The small amount of water that would get into the clutch pack through the open clutch cover would cause the plates to stick together something awful. One time, I actually had to disassemble the clutch pack, just to get the thing to release! After that incident, I started putting my stock cover on it when I washed it. Anyway, even when the pack wouldn't separate, there was pressure at the lever. When I installed the MTC clutch in my X, I had the same problem (the clutch plates would stick together after sitting for several hours). However, there was always pressure at the lever and it would always release when I banged it into first. My solution there is to start the bike and hold the clutch lever in while I back the bike out of my garage (5 to ten seconds). Works like a charm. No, my guess in xbi0s' friend's case is that there's air in the line. There might have been air in the line to begin with and dude just made it worse when he tried to fix it.

Silvervtx04s, great minds think alike, eh?

Yes indeed...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:04 AM

Dude, how about an update? I'm on the edge of my seat here!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

lol.. Air in the lines... He did your idea... Rebled... Squeezed the clutch a few times after that and she pressurized... Took it for a ride and she was good to go =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page