The buffeting is bad - Page 2 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX JOE View Post
After riding wife's c50, that has almost no wind buffering, I realized how bad it is on my 1800. What kind of lowers look and work best with a switch blade 2 up on a R3. A Harley friend sugested lowers when he first saw my bike.
I use Memphis Shades Lowers.

Geezer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 02:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to W9VD
I also had terrible buffeting. I started with a MS 21" shield and at 70 MPH my head felt like it was in a paint can shaker. I tried angling the shield on all planes and that did not help. I tried lowers and it helped a little but the shaking made long rides miserable. I cut the shield down 3"s and that helped more than anything.

There were several issues I found interesting...

With a full face helmet I had no issues. With no helmet I had no issues. Only my half hat bothered me.

I have since put a fairing on the bike and it is perfect, no issues with or without a helmet at any speed.

Assault is a behavior, not a device.

“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

― John Wayne

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 02:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gonzo1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLWEL View Post
Ok i need some help.I get to highway speeds and i get a headache. The wind rattles my little pea brain and blurs my vision. I am wondering if adding the lower deflectors will cure this problem.

I think it would be prudent to ask how tall he is, how tall the windshield is, bike, type of helm.. first. I dont have lowers and Im fine..

Full Face
1300R
6'1"
MS Fats 21"
No Lowers
Very little buffeting with windshield adjusted.

-Gonz

Harley Owners Need Dependable Alternatives
"Dear Fox News: I am writing today to request that you add a laugh track to your coverage to properly identify it for the comedy that it is.
Also, clown noses for the reporters would be nice."

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Lowers will fix it.

2006 1300 S

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:40 PM

Lowers don't always fix the problem, sometimes it just reduces it to tolerable.

Like others have said, more info is needed, drivers height, windshields height & type, helmet, etc....

They say you learn from your mistakes, in that case, I must be a genius.

2004 Red VTX 1300 S, Mustang Vintage seat W/seat pin mod, MS Batwing, DMY wrap around backrest and chrome top rack,
EZBrackets on All American 26" XLSlant bags, Glen's air/fuel screw, Stable horn
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 04:19 PM

I have had several bikes, all Hondas except for a Kawaski dirt bike many years ago. I just bought my 1800T Friday and I love the bike. However I have never had anything with as much buffeting as I am getting. The air is coming right off my knees and straigt up. Yesterday I was trying to decide where the main problem was. I discovered if I took my left arm and layed it across my chest, just below breast height, it all but elemintated the issue, Obviously that is not a solution but it did help me determine that the air coming up in front of my knees was the problem.
Now, what lowers do I buy, I have got to have something that will help, I am leaning towards the Hondaline, who has them and do they help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
God Bless the USA.
"If you think you can or can't you're right ! "Henry Ford"
08 VTX1800T " Big T "
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9VD View Post
I also had terrible buffeting. I started with a MS 21" shield and at 70 MPH my head felt like it was in a paint can shaker. I tried angling the shield on all planes and that did not help. I tried lowers and it helped a little but the shaking made long rides miserable. I cut the shield down 3"s and that helped more than anything.

There were several issues I found interesting...

With a full face helmet I had no issues. With no helmet I had no issues. Only my half hat bothered me.

I have since put a fairing on the bike and it is perfect, no issues with or without a helmet at any speed.

I think there is something to (to tall a windshield). It seems they create even more turbulence and drag.
With a 12" on the Fairing vs. the 7" it felt like more turbulence and drag. Switched back to the 7" and even though there is a little buffeting on the top of my helmet (in a no helmet state I don't feel it on the top of my head) the ride is or feels more solid at speed. So much so I will probably leave the 7" in place and let the little buffeting be a compromise.
Someone posted (it's all very touchy) and it is just that.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:50 PM

Yes Lowers will help. Here are mine.

That said, its all about position of the windshield to create the proper windflow.

If your getting buffeting really bad, try first lowering the angle (towards your bike) of the windshield a bit. Then try increasing its angle (away from rider) to make it taller and more flat. See if that helps.

If its a smaller windshield, you might have to lower the angle so the wind will rise over it and flow into your head. If you angle a smaller shield (and bigger one as well) more upright, to cover a broader area, the wind eddys around creating lots of turbulence circling behind the shield (IE your back, and head), ever wonder why sometimes you can get bugs stuck on the back of your jacket? This is why.

Remember, the shield wants to lay flat for the least resistance.

Its easier to see than to explain.

Look at this crudely drawn example I just quickly drew up.

Black = Sheild Position
Yellow = Air Flow

Shield too 'high', lots of buffeting immediatley behind sheild.

Sheild too low, less resistance and buffeting, but also less wind protection (defeating the point of the shield)

You have to find a good medium that will not create too much turbulence immediately behind the shield (on you), and giving the air a more efficient (less turbulent) route to travel over/past you. In the middle pic, the rider has good protection, and, the air flows at least PAST his head before starting to eddy around. This is what you are looking to achieve. However, variables such as Rider Height, Seating position, Windshield height, and bike type (or placement on forks) make that perfect combination different for everyone.

Also note, if you are riding two up, your 'perfect position' may put excess buffeting on the passenger behind you. You very well might have to adjust it for the passenger as well.

Just Sayin'

"Education is the progressive realization of our ignorance" - Einstein

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to W9VD
Quote:
Originally Posted by venarius View Post
Yes Lowers will help. Here are mine.

That said, its all about position of the windshield to create the proper windflow.

If your getting buffeting really bad, try first lowering the angle (towards your bike) of the windshield a bit. Then try increasing its angle (away from rider) to make it taller and more flat. See if that helps.

If its a smaller windshield, you might have to lower the angle so the wind will rise over it and flow into your head. If you angle a smaller shield (and bigger one as well) more upright, to cover a broader area, the wind eddys around creating lots of turbulence circling behind the shield (IE your back, and head), ever wonder why sometimes you can get bugs stuck on the back of your jacket? This is why.

Remember, the shield wants to lay flat for the least resistance.

Its easier to see than to explain.

Look at this crudely drawn example I just quickly drew up.

Black = Sheild Position
Yellow = Air Flow

Shield too 'high', lots of buffeting immediatley behind sheild.

Sheild too low, less resistance and buffeting, but also less wind protection (defeating the point of the shield)

You have to find a good medium that will not create too much turbulence immediately behind the shield (on you), and giving the air a more efficient (less turbulent) route to travel over/past you. In the middle pic, the rider has good protection, and, the air flows at least PAST his head before starting to eddy around. This is what you are looking to achieve. However, variables such as Rider Height, Seating position, Windshield height, and bike type (or placement on forks) make that perfect combination different for everyone.

Also note, if you are riding two up, your 'perfect position' may put excess buffeting on the passenger behind you. You very well might have to adjust it for the passenger as well.

Just Sayin'

The wind that was kicking my head around was coming from the sides of my tank. It was running up my chest and hitting the lip on my half hat. Angling the shield did nothing and for some reason the lowers did very little for me.

Cutting the screen down helped more than anything else, well, except the fairing.

Assault is a behavior, not a device.

“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

― John Wayne

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:44 PM

[QUOTE=VTX JOE;2721207]After riding wife's c50, that has almost no wind buffering, I realized how bad it is on my 1800. What kind of lowers look and work best with a switch blade 2 up on a R3. A Harley friend sugested lowers when he first saw my bike. [/QUOTE

I have the NC Switchblade 2up and NC lowers, they pretty much stop the buffeting but the lowers push air directly at the grips making for cold hands

VTXOA 'Members Who Can Help' Map<<---ClicHere
PGR RC, 2010 GL 1800 Endeavor Reverse Trike, DS#1146, 04VTX 1300C
AKA "Pooch" IBA#55800 SS1Kx3, SS2K,BB1500x2,BBGold, 50CC Certified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page