Gave my bike a Woody, - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Gave my bike a Woody,

fairing that is.

Now that I have your attention, I need some insight into wiring the stereo.

I was wondering if I should wire it straight from the radio to my second fuse box, or should I use some type of quick disconnect at the fairing. If the quick disconnect option, what kind should I use?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Gregg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggkastner View Post
fairing that is.

Now that I have your attention, I need some insight into wiring the stereo.

I was wondering if I should wire it straight from the radio to my second fuse box, or should I use some type of quick disconnect at the fairing. If the quick disconnect option, what kind should I use?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Gregg
Thought the bike was supposed to give that to you!

Yes use a quick disconnect. MTL you will have 3 wires. One always hot to keep the memory in the radio (fused and to the battery) one that is switched (probably to your fuse box) and a ground lead. Most any decent 3 pin connector of heavy enough gauge should work. Or you can go crazy and buy a molex milspec screw connector. Your call.

Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, My LED, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. 4400 lumen H4 LED headlights available [email protected] "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to W9VD
A four pin trailer connector works well and is weather resistant.

Assault is a behavior, not a device.

“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

― John Wayne

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9VD View Post
A four pin trailer connector works well and is weather resistant.

Thanks,

The trailer connector was going to be my next question.

Thanks,
Gregg
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:24 PM

I did not put a quick disconnect on mine. I didnt think I'd be removing the fairing ever again but since I installed it, I've had it apart 3 times for various things. Its about done now, and still haven't needed a disconnect to remove it all quickly. Worst case I could un-solder my connections and remove it. I also put a Kury volt meter on my fairing, which is turning out to be nice since i didnt know how much the stereo was going to pull off the battery, etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2003 1800S. Roadhouse classic exhaust, Woody's fairing, Tsukayu Strong bags, Baron's intake.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:33 PM

as above, with or w/o a QD cord is your choice, and it's easiest to just fuse the yellow lead right at the battery pos. terminal with an inline fuse. You can get one at PepBoys Auto Zone, etc. to take the blade-type automotive fuses rather than a glass one. I'd over-fuse it at 25 amps since the radio has it's own 10 or 15 (depending on brand) fuse and the one at the battery will be protecting the entire fairing and power cord itself + the accy socket. Call me anytime if you need a hand regarding wiring, you've got my cell#.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to W9VD
Quote:
Originally Posted by klemmy View Post
I did not put a quick disconnect on mine. I didnt think I'd be removing the fairing ever again but since I installed it, I've had it apart 3 times for various things. Its about done now, and still haven't needed a disconnect to remove it all quickly. Worst case I could un-solder my connections and remove it. I also put a Kury volt meter on my fairing, which is turning out to be nice since i didnt know how much the stereo was going to pull off the battery, etc.
WOW! If anyone needs a quick disconnect, I think you do.

Assault is a behavior, not a device.

“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

― John Wayne

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9VD View Post
WOW! If anyone needs a quick disconnect, I think you do.
Yeah, I thought about that after the fact, but luckily all I had to do was remove the outer shell so nothing had to be disconnected. The harness on my stereo will disconnect, but it will not fit through the hole in the fairing anyway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2003 1800S. Roadhouse classic exhaust, Woody's fairing, Tsukayu Strong bags, Baron's intake.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:41 PM

By the way, I ordered a wiring harness from this guy: http://www.easternbeaver.com/

It took 5 days to get it delivered to my door. Its an awesome addition with all fused connections, etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klemmy View Post
By the way, I ordered a wiring harness from this guy: http://www.easternbeaver.com/

It took 5 days to get it delivered to my door. Its an awesome addition with all fused connections, etc.
Thanks for the link!

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page