Goldwing test drive (follow up to Harley test drive) - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Goldwing test drive (follow up to Harley test drive)

So as promised, I test drove a Wing today. Something happened that I totally didn't expect:

I did the Harley test drive first to (sort of) confirm in my mind that the Wing would be better. As a lover of Hondas, that was my expectation. And I knew the upright seating position would be favorable to the standard cruiser position.

I'm a little taller than average (6'1"), and I found the Wing to be a bit cramped. My buddy who went with me to the test drive also commented that compared to my X, the Wing looked a little small. (?). The area around the foot pegs seemed crowded. Seating position was pretty much what I expected, except the foot position was a little higher than I thought it would be.

I was disappointed by the Wing's gear shift peg and the brake pedal. They looked and felt cheap. This is Honda's flagship bike, and I expected better. The stock shifter and brake on my X are way nicer.

The Wing also seemed a bit "plastic-y" to me, compared to the Harley. Overall, the Wing just felt cheaper.

I expected the Wing to "show-up" the Harley, and I found the opposite to be true. The (surprising to me) bottom line is this: If I bought a new bike tomorrow, it would be the Harley.

I don't know if I could give up my X though. Neither bike has the feel of the X's power, at least not to me .....

2005 VTX 1800R (gone but not forgotten!)
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 AM

So what now I keep hearing Victory, maybe
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norch77 View Post
So what now I keep hearing Victory, maybe
The Vics just look a little too strange to me ....

2005 VTX 1800R (gone but not forgotten!)
2011 Road Glide Ultra

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:51 AM

At least you gave each bike a fair shake....thats so often not the case. I have ridden both, and even at 5'6" I am not a fan of the seating positon on the Wing, although it is a very, very impressive bike. I am really leaning towards the RG Ultra for this year, I have ridden my buddys 10 Ultra, and really enjoy that bike as well. The Vic really has my curiousity up and want to get a chance to ride a Vision. I think on that bike you either love it or hate it cosmeticaly (sp). I sat on the Street version and really like the seat on it. Who knows what I will end up with, but whatever I end up with will the the garage companion to the X.

'02 1800 C Gone 10-17

2009 Victory Vision Tour
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the objective report. Good luck on whatever you decide to purchase.

In a world filled with shades of grey there is one absolute... it is impossible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCAbowman View Post
I think on that bike you either love it or hate it cosmeticaly (sp).
I usually tell people it "evokes stong emotions, some good some bad".

[SIGPIC]https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=324&dateline=12263298 49[/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluto View Post
Personally, I like it - it's unlike anything else out there while retaining the feel fo v-twin. It may not be for me exactly, but I love looking at them at ride meets and such.

Greg in SE Virginia
2000 Harley UC
Gone, but not forgotten: VTX1300S, VTX1800C, Aero 750 (couch on wheels)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banddirector View Post
So as promised, I test drove a Wing today. Something happened that I totally didn't expect:

I did the Harley test drive first to (sort of) confirm in my mind that the Wing would be better. As a lover of Hondas, that was my expectation. And I knew the upright seating position would be favorable to the standard cruiser position.

I'm a little taller than average (6'1"), and I found the Wing to be a bit cramped. My buddy who went with me to the test drive also commented that compared to my X, the Wing looked a little small. (?). The area around the foot pegs seemed crowded. Seating position was pretty much what I expected, except the foot position was a little higher than I thought it would be.

I was disappointed by the Wing's gear shift peg and the brake pedal. They looked and felt cheap. This is Honda's flagship bike, and I expected better. The stock shifter and brake on my X are way nicer.

The Wing also seemed a bit "plastic-y" to me, compared to the Harley. Overall, the Wing just felt cheaper.

I expected the Wing to "show-up" the Harley, and I found the opposite to be true. The (surprising to me) bottom line is this: If I bought a new bike tomorrow, it would be the Harley.

I don't know if I could give up my X though. Neither bike has the feel of the X's power, at least not to me .....
Good report. I live vicariously thru you guys who have dealerships that will actually let you test ride new Hondas. Our one and only Vic center that closed its doors recently used to regularly hold open house and you got your pick of new bike to demo. No Honda dealers around me allow it - even if you walk in with cash to buy a bike. I think the local H-d dealer may have free rides now and then.

Greg in SE Virginia
2000 Harley UC
Gone, but not forgotten: VTX1300S, VTX1800C, Aero 750 (couch on wheels)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banddirector View Post
The Wing also seemed a bit "plastic-y" to me
That must be why there ain't a thing rusting on mine after 7+ years.

Oh, but the aftermarket trunk rack, non Honda, started rusting after about 2 years. I got to keep it polished to prevent further corrosion.

Herb

Support our troopERS.
Tin Foil Conducts & Kool-aid Kills
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluto View Post
LOL, Ive never heard of it put like that....for me, personally, I like it!! LOL

'02 1800 C Gone 10-17

2009 Victory Vision Tour

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page