Victory Motorcycles - Demo Rides - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Victory Motorcycles - Demo Rides

Local Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Polaris/Victory dealer had lots of Victory demo bikes Saturday. Minnesota dealer tags on all of the bikes - and a big, honkin, tractor-trailer to take them from dealer to dealer.

So what the heck? Free rides? OK.

We were STRONGLY encouraged to ride and ride and ride. Take out as many models as you want.

I took out a Vision, a Vegas-something, and a Hammer.

All of the new bikes are 106 cubic inches and you can tell the difference. Very, very, good power. Good brakes and good handling.

Transmissions are really, really, clunky. All the bikes I rode had more than 3,000 miles on them so I sorta wrote off the whole idea that maybe they needed to "break-in" to make the transmissions smoother. The whole clunky transmission thing seemed to be a topic of conversation with the other riders, as well.

Hey, maybe they're SUPPOSED to be clunky.

Would I buy a Victory? Probably not. In this part of the country they lose value immediately and are hard to re-sale. I don't know of any of the bike dealers in the local area that will even take one in on trade.

Probably different in your area - just not here.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:09 PM

I bought a new Vision this past March and it now has 11,000 miles on it and yep it has a clunky tranny. Bothered me at first but now I'm used to it because the ride and comfort far out weight the clunk. I know all forums are mostly bias and that's ok but all reports are saying the engines and transmissions are bullet proof.

Send in the Marines
'09 Victory Vision Tour Premium sold 5/2013
I miss all my X's
'04 1300C
'03 1800C
'06 1800F
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 PM

My 2010 Cross Country clunks into 1st and 2nd. After that it is hardly noticable. I look at it this way - I know I'm in gear when it clunks! It's all part of the bikes character.
As for resale, well if I was worried about that I would never have purchased my 02 VTX 1800. I'll be lucky to get about $4000 for it and payed just over $11K new. Have never bought a vehicle with trade-in/resale as a factor. That's just me though.
I like my VTX, but I love my Vics!

2014 Indian Chieftain
2010 Victory Cross Country

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog 1 View Post
I bought a new Vision this past March and it now has 11,000 miles on it and yep it has a clunky tranny. Bothered me at first but now I'm used to it because the ride and comfort far out weight the clunk. I know all forums are mostly bias and that's ok but all reports are saying the engines and transmissions are bullet proof.
Try preloading the shifter when you shift. Makes my Vision much smoother!

[SIGPIC]https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=324&dateline=12263298 49[/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gonzo1970
Waiting for the Kawi's to come over here and have test rides.. Id like to take that 1700 Vaquero for a spin.

-Gonz

Harley Owners Need Dependable Alternatives
"Dear Fox News: I am writing today to request that you add a laugh track to your coverage to properly identify it for the comedy that it is.
Also, clown noses for the reporters would be nice."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:09 PM

I lookd at the Vics last year when I got the Raider, and the build quality looked a little lower (at least on the Vegas). I could see seams, and parts of the frame looked, well, crude (up close.)
The VTX I looked at and the Yamahas both seemed to be much higher quality. They looked better close up (and therefore from far away, too).
I was disappointed in Victory, but I didn't ride one.

2009 Star Raider
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old4x4 View Post
I lookd at the Vics last year when I got the Raider, and the build quality looked a little lower (at least on the Vegas). I could see seams, and parts of the frame looked, well, crude (up close.)
The VTX I looked at and the Yamahas both seemed to be much higher quality. They looked better close up (and therefore from far away, too).
I was disappointed in Victory, but I didn't ride one.
Yamaha is making a great line of bikes.

Send in the Marines
'09 Victory Vision Tour Premium sold 5/2013
I miss all my X's
'04 1300C
'03 1800C
'06 1800F
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog 1 View Post
That's kinda where I was going with that. I like the bikes and they're offering some really good deals right about now......

I have seen some of the older Harley 4-speed boxes that are really clunky and it's because of the gear design (straight cut gears). They clunk like heck but are dead realiable. So (maybe) it's the design of the gears in the box) I do know that Harley has gone to helical-cut gears in their gearboxes in recent years. Quietier and very smooth shift but wouldn't typically be as durable as the straight-cut variety.

It seemed to me that (after some amount of experimentation) I could up-shift these Victory bikes without a clunk - but I never did find a way to remove the hard clunk on down-shift.

It also may have something to do with the oil that they're using. I've found that certain oils are less prone to causing that "clunk" than others.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:48 PM
TCB
Mad Hatter

I too have a 2010 XC and the clunky trans does not brother me at all. As for re-sale, I think U will find that on almost any bike right now. To me the real down fall is dealer support. I do my own matiance but for any warrentee or other issue, it seams hard to find a close dealer that will take care of issues.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I Am A Down and Out "CHROM WHORE"
Keep it Up Strait
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo1970 View Post
Waiting for the Kawi's to come over here and have test rides.. Id like to take that 1700 Vaquero for a spin.

-Gonz
Gonz, do you know when they're coming?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page