!st Harley ride - Page 2 - VTXOA
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portage, IN
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Funny how someone can just sit on a bike and know that it isn't any good? Put a few hundred miles on it first.
If you are referring to me let me explain...The way my X feels when I throw a leg over and sit there, it feels comfy as if I am down IN the bike. I thought the Streetglide would feel the same way but it didn't. I have good friends who have Harleys and every bike feels different. One of my buddies has a wide glide and he also has a piped out R6. Before I bought my X, I rode both for a very short distance. It did not take very long before I knew that although the R6 was a peppy SOB and light as a feather, I would not want to own one and ride it on a regular basis. His wide glide felt very similar to how my X felt when I first got it. Last year another friend of mine bought a used Heritage Classic and I rode the a short distance. That bike felt very sweet and I would love to own something like that. I had always heard that the Softails had a feel for sitting "in" and not sitting "on" and the dynas were opposite. So the wide glide (dyna) felt nice to me, the heritage felt nice to me (soft tail). My cousin last year bought a fatboy (softail) and I took his for a ride and it felt as if I was sitting "on" and not "in" it. It did not feel all that comfy to me. I rode a few ultras within the last 10 years that also felt pretty good to me and the fairing layout did not seem to have that very flat feeling or appearance that I got when I sat on the SG and my other buddies new ultra.

The very first Harley I ever rode was one owned by a guy I used to work with. I believe it was like a 78 (AMF days) and it looked like a rat bike. It was a bagger with a fairing and this guy rode the hell outta that bike. Even though it resembled an old ratty bike, it was a blast to ride. Comfy and fun. I still LOVE the look of the SG and may someday own one.
WillyD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Senior Member
 
MidLifeCrisisNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lexington, North Carolina
Posts: 2,381
lack of throttle response on the HD 103 w throttle by wire

the lack of throttle response on the newer HD Touring bikes is programmed in. The throttle by wire is deprogrammed(for a better word) to not give 100% throttle in the lower gears, it makes for a much easier and safer bike when riding a big heavy bike 2 up, loaded in parking lots, or in town, because the bikes get quite top heavy and i used to bicth about how the 1800 X was a bear at slow speeds, hard to manuever due to being so top heavy and the quickness of the throttle, always had to try to feather the throttle and clutch a lot in town or in parking lots, when riding 2 up.

Vance and Hines has a plug in module to correct that program, may get that at some point, but right now, its not really an issue on my 2012 Road Glide Ultra, i ride like a Grandpa anyhow. the 103 cu in w 6 speed is a hell of a touring setup, and i am satisfied with it, around town the heat is bad, but it is a touring bike, and thats what i plan on doing with it.
MidLifeCrisisNC is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Hondabilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 790
Your bike isn't tuned very well

If the throttle response on a Road King 96cc 6 speed is better than the response on your VTX1800T, your motor must not be tuned very well.
A Honda VTX1800 (110cc), properly tuned, blows the doors off a Harley Davidson 96cc.
No contest.
Hondabilly is offline  
 
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 68
opinions

That was my bros. 08 RK. I forgot to mention the fuel pack. He said that made better throttle responce. When he rode mine stock he said the motor was not impressive same with brakes lousy seat but it handled way better than his RK. I`m thinking of a PC & custom map but the guy says about $900 CAN.
BUCKTAILS 1ST is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 03:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Valley Springs, Ca
Posts: 679
You can't argue with the fact 93% of all Harleys are still on the road. So the other 7% that made it home think that old technology they paid so much for is worth it.

This document has been spell checked by my dog. Refer any problems to him because his owner just doses not give a sh1t. If you are neurotic about spelling I suggest you read other post and leave this one alone.
roadrage is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
sirchadley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lima ohio
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrage View Post
You can't argue with the fact 93% of all Harleys are still on the road. So the other 7% that made it home think that old technology they paid so much for is worth it.

lmfao!! thats a good one!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 2007 1300c

Midnight bugs taste just as bad as Noon time bugs.
sirchadley is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,087
hmmm......roadrage.....

I don't think that you know anything about how much the Harley technology has changed over the last 60 years. From the knucklehead, to the panhead, to the shovelhead, to the evolution, to the twin-cam, you are clueless. The change from a carburetor to electronic fuel injection was a major thing in how these bikes started and idled and ran. Going to a belt drive in 82' from years of chains was another major move that made a huge difference in riding and maintenance. My Harley has cruise control, unlike your VTX, and my Harley has self cancelling turn signals, unlike your VTX. I have ridden Harley Davidson motorcycles since 1981 and after tens of thousands of miles I have NEVER been stranded on the road by one. There are rally's all over the country that attract millions of motorcyclists and most of them are Harley Davidson's.

You are riding a bike that even Honda decided to quit making? LOL Yepper you sure do know a lot about Harley's.

Six2go

2009 HD FLHTC Classic
2008 Gold Wing
2006 VTX !800 Neo
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Six2Go is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
gulliverstoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tucson
Posts: 1,307
dang...another harley vs vtx thread and i fell for it.....
so pointless...
envy is all i see when you get past the verbiage....
bang for the buck and reliability = honda..
period
love affair = vic / hd
so far the vic reliability equals my x....and it is peachy with punch.

same as it ever was....
same as it ever was...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Too young to be where I am going
but too old to go back again
2008 Honda X 13T- Gone Feb 2010
2010 Vic X Country
gulliverstoe is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,087
hmmmm?......

So you sold yer VTX 2 1/2 years ago and bought an American made bike and still support a motorcycle that isn't made any more? Have ya considered therapy?



Six2go

2009 HD FLHTC Classic
2008 Gold Wing
2006 VTX !800 Neo
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Six2Go is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Garand1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The War Room
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrage View Post
You can't argue with the fact 93% of all Harleys are still on the road. So the other 7% that made it home think that old technology they paid so much for is worth it.
It is true that 93% of all Harleys are still on the road.....But this is how they are traveling on the road


"Two-thirds of all quotes found on the internet are, more or less, complete bullsh*t". - Abraham Lincoln
Garand1957 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome