!st Harley ride - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

!st Harley ride

I rode a 08 Road King 96" 6 speed.What I found 1- throttle responce better than my 08 1800T 2- rode a little smoother 3- VTX has better riding position but you get used to that 4-handling was ok 5-that shake at stops is something else 6-linked brakes would be a good thing on Harleys For the extra 5-7 thousand on top of what I paid for mine. I`d think about that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 AM
X'N

I found the opposite on the Street and road glides I rode both 2012's with the 103 motor. Throttle response was a little worse then the X, The HD clutch however was much better, Handling was much worse on the HD's especially in the corners (rear end seemed to wallow around) And yea they shake like a SOB. Now go ride a victory

2012 Victory Cross country
[SIGPIC]https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75391&d=1342403272[/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 AM

For several years I was really jazzed up on getting a roadglide. Rode one at harley test ride days and totally lost my boner. I felt like there was no throttle response and lack of acceleration was the deal breaker for me. I do love the look though, and large gas tank and especially the 6 speed tranny. I'm secretly hoping harley improves the performance of this bike in future model releases.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1998 Shadow ACE - Finished rebuild/update Dec '12
2004 VTX 1800C, Woody fairing w/9" shield, Tsukayu hard bags, Kenwood KDC-X496, Polk DXi 525, Progressive fork springs, ME880, custom lowers, Rivco risers.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregvan View Post
For several years I was really jazzed up on getting a roadglide. Rode one at harley test ride days and totally lost my boner. I felt like there was no throttle response and lack of acceleration was the deal breaker for me. I do love the look though, and large gas tank and especially the 6 speed tranny. I'm secretly hoping harley improves the performance of this bike in future model releases.
Wow, I could have written this review. Rode one at Americade and came away with the same thoughtds. Also rode the Victory Cross Country Tour and really liked it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2002 1800R, Work still in progress.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKTAILS 1ST View Post
I rode a 08 Road King 96" 6 speed.What I found 1- throttle responce better than my 08 1800T 2- rode a little smoother 3- VTX has better riding position but you get used to that 4-handling was ok 5-that shake at stops is something else 6-linked brakes would be a good thing on Harleys For the extra 5-7 thousand on top of what I paid for mine. I`d think about that one.
Interesting. I have a friend who came from an 05 1300R to the harley soft tail heritage classic. Beautiful bike and he loves it. Says it feels much more balanced and doesn't vibrate like the RK, RG, and SG.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:55 PM
X'N

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregvan View Post

Me too. For a long time I was lusting for a Road Glide. I rode it for about 3 feet and hated it. Had Victory not had the cross country I'd probally be riding a Street Glide. Over all I just felt too cramped on the street glide.

2012 Victory Cross country
[SIGPIC]https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75391&d=1342403272[/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM

The last couple of years I have seen Streetglides just all over the place. I love the look of them. I think the bags just look perfect how they are set up and match the bike. I like the batwing on there and the fact that it looks bagger but sporty. I bought my X at the end of riding season in 2010 from a buddy. I had ridden another buddy's 1800 about a year earlier. At the time I was not super interested in the X. I like my inline 4 kaws....When my buddy with the 1300 said he was gonna be selling it, I inquired and went and took it for a ride. I really liked it and I bought it. About 7 or 8 months ago my finacee and I were on vacation in florida and went to the bike dealer near daytona (harley) I sat on a couple streetglides and immediately disliked the look and feel while seated on the bike. I have never ridden one but was really turned off by looking down at the fairing. Like someone said earlier, it just feels like a big piece of flat plywood stuck on there to me. Visited a friend of mine who lives down there and has a fully decked out ultra. I sat on that in his garage and again, it just turned me off...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to grundle
I like mine... Found it to be much better than my VTX for going the distance... 45k in 3 years...

But to each his own....

G

2009 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic/2008 VTX1300R
"If the person in the next lane at the stoplight rolls up the window and locks the door, support their view of life by snarling at them."
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:50 PM

Just took my Brother in law's brand new Road Glide for a spin with the lady. The vibration is weird but feels about the same when moving. The fixed fairing takes some getting used to, but the interaction with the systems and the sound is great. He is 6'8" and my sister is 6 ft and they fit just fine on there, but we could definitely tell that the Glide is a shorter chassis.

Otherwise, the power felt just as good, fast take off and smooth. Mine feels like an unrefined beast in comparison.

If I had the cash......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2003 Retro 1800 Blurple Throbber
Ironbutt Rider, DRAGON-tamer
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 01:59 PM

I like my Harley.....

but, then again I like my Gold Wing and my VTX and my Burgman 650 too. I don't eat the same food at every meal and I don't ride the same bike on every run. I love the pulse of the Harley's motor and the sound as we go down the road. It has a great stereo and so does the wing so that makes them both fun. I wear the ipod on the VTX and have tunes on it too. The Burgman 650 is my go to town and run errands bike so I don't worry about music on it.

Funny how someone can just sit on a bike and know that it isn't any good? Put a few hundred miles on it first. The Wing has a fixed fairing and thanks to that the steering is very light and agile since you only are turning the fork and not the fairing.

I like motorcycles and not just a brand. I have yet to recieve a thank you card from Honda EVER for buying their stuff but, I did get one from Harley when I bought the bagger. I joined HOG (Harley Owners Group) and get a nice magazine with a lot of event info and such in it but, when I bought (2) new Gold Wings I didn't get anything except BIG payments.

Motorcycles are a blast and I like them all and the people associated with them as a rule, with some exceptions.

Six2go

2009 HD FLHTC Classic
2008 Gold Wing
2006 VTX !800 Neo
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page