Why did you chose the VTX? - VTXOA
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Why did you chose the VTX?

I thought it would be interesting to see just why everyone here ended up with a VTX?

Mine was more by chance than by planning. I decided I wanted to get a motorcycle, but was unsure as to what motorcycle to get. I thought I wanted to get something small to learn on (sold my vulcan 500 8 years ago), but knowing that I would quickly get up to speed on riding, I didn't want to get something small just to turn around and sell it to get something larger. After my wife told me that she would want to ride with me , I started to talk to a member here that I know (Gen.Mclovin) and he quickly suggested the vtx. I didn't think a cruiser was for me and was considering a sport touring motorcycle. Then one day at work, we were talking motorcycles and a guy said he had a bike that he wanted to sell quick to fund another project. Long story short, I purchased a 2003 1800R, with low miles and a good price. No doubt, after I get some more practice in, it will be great motorcycle for two up riding. At first, I was really concerned about the weight and power of the motorcycle, but my fears quickly changed to respect and I have not had a lick of trouble. I have only put about 300 miles on it so far, but that should change quickly as the weather starts to get nicer.

So that is kind of my story, didn't really pick out the VTX, but just by chance I ended up with one, and so far I am really glad that I did!
MyCoal02VTX1800R likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:05 AM

Garage
Welcome to the nut house.

Me, wanted a smaller and lighter bike as the wife stopped riding behind me... got rid of the Gold Wing and ordered the VTX1800...

it is smaller and about 300 pounds lighter... and takes 1/4 the time to Wash... all pluses for me....
forward controls to help out my OLD knees...
riding for 45 years... without a year off.

added<> 9 Hondas... 7 were new.. and a few I purchased just to fix and resale... again all Honda's

I am a Honda NUT... also a 1992 Honda 4514 lawn tractor... from New. still going fine.
wife had 3 New Honda cars... and I had a Acura (Honda) for 17 years... Ohio Salt killed it.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 90,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:09 AM

I'd had 6 bikes, all Honda's up to that point, incl. the 1100 Shadow Spirit I'd just sold. I knew I wanted another Honda, as they make great machines, and I'd read some, and heard some, about the VTX. I looked for a month or so, at all bike sales venues, incl. Craig'slist. Spotted my 1800 right away, but really didn't want a black one. Continued looking, and found a 4 yr. old 1300 R w/ bags, w/s, V & H, and 470 mi. on ODO. Beautiful blue bike. I then saw in Traders Guide, a description of the 1800 that sounded very similar to the one in CL, but it had a diff. ph. #. I called, and the owner said it was indeed the same bike. Found where he lived, 9 mi. from me, went and looked it over. Loved it except for the black. Told him I wanted to look for another week, but didn't find anything else I liked. Called him and went to give him a deposit till I could get the rest out of savings. A couple days later it was mine! You know what they say, once you go black.........

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:12 AM

I was riding a 30 year old Venture and was looking for something newer. I also wanted something with more power for getting out of bad traffic situations easier. I had never had a cruiser before and like the looks, power and price of my VTX so I bought it and have never regretted it.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:14 AM

I had demo ridden a few and the VTX has always been on my list of bikes I'd own one day. So when my GF at the time wanted to do something for her 40th birthday, I suggested the Lake Superior Circle Tour. She said yes to that, so I needed a bike and decided it was time to get the VTX I'd kind of wanted. Found a nice 2003 C with 9000 miles for a good price and began tweaking it for the trip.
I've since decided it's a keeper and continued tweaking it to my liking and for what I want to use it for. (Two-up riding and trips)
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Senior Pirate

Nice of you to join us.

I wanted a fast, reliable, bad ass looking cruiser. So I got one.

2014 Valkyrie F6C 1800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhyMU9BG6Ao

Red Knights MC
“343
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Bought mine in January of 2002. It was a warm day for Chicago at 38 degrees. But I had to buy it then or someone else would ride it home. I had been reading about it in mags for a couple months and it was the first one I had seen other than the demo model at the Int Motorcycle Show. It was damn cold ride but it was awesome;

Her first picture

How I sold her;

AMA Life Member 721314
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 AM
RBS

I rode illegally (No license no insurance, no sense) in the 60s.

My boss bought a used '96 ACE from a friend of ours, who never had a problem with it.
Nor did my boss.

I bought a new '05 AERO. Loved the bike, but couldn't keep up on the hi-way.
No problems with it.

Went to visit family in Fl., and rented an 1800 & a 1300 for a week each.

Came back home, sold the Aero which had 65,000 miles on it in '08,
and bought my leftover '07 1300S, which now has almost 115,000 miles.
With no problems.

Democrats & Republicans- 2 Sides Of A Counterfeit Coin.

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:27 AM

I bought a v65 Magna when I was 19. It was getting hard to find parts for, it was needing more work, and wasn't really that comfortable for long trips. I wanted a proper cruiser but wanted something that would that would be powerful (those of you who know Magna's know they go pretty good). I've always liked the look of the VTX and they had finally dropped into my price range. It was the only bike I searched for and the only model I wanted. Found a nice one in February and have put 1500 miles on thus far this season. Loving it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:02 PM

as getting a little to stiff (I wont say old ) to continue doing long distance touring on my Hayabusa and decided to get a cruiser. I really couldn't justify paying for a new Harley because I wasn't sure it would get me across the country and back without problems. Yeah I know those were the old AMF Harley days, but since I was planning a cross country trip the image of being broke down in the middle of nowhere stuck in my mind. So I began check out the reviews of cruisers and settled on a 2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100. I walked in the dealership looked at the 1100 and saw the VTX 1300 and my mind was made up. We've been together every since...longer than some marriages

Just a couple of configurations she's been through
vtx canada.jpg vtx 1.jpg
vtx3.jpg vtx4.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page