Honda VTX Forum banner

What's your most miles per tank?

3K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  nate6966 
#1 ·
My fuel light didn't kick on today until reaching 164 miles. I fueled up at mile 175. While that's not groundbreaking for some bikes, I reckon it is quite admirable for the VTX—gotta love them big[ger] Retro tanks :)

Most of these miles were a leisurely 45-65 mph through windy and sweeping mountain alpine forest roads with an elevation gain and loss of 8,000'.

I do believe 175 is my all time highest. And I could have gone farther as I only dispensed 4.4 gals back into the tank (I have filled up with 4.8 gals in the past). Furthermore, I could also have extended the range if I didn't blast down the freeway at 75-80 mph for ~12 miles or so.

Anybody here get near 200 miles on a tank?

#5 ·
I don't know about miles-per-tank, or miles-to-light but the very best I have ever gotten is 44 mpg. I've gotten that several times and that's conservative interstate riding at 65-75. I typically get 40 mpg on any fill up that I check the mileage which is mostly riding to work, runs to the store, etc...., and the worst I can remember was 34 mpg once or twice and that was hammering the throttle and pretending that my VTX is a "fast" bike.

#7 ·
My 1800C I can go 120-135 miles most of the time before the light will come on. 100 was my worst, and around 145 was my best so far. My tank is smaller then the retro tank, so the most I can get in it is about 3.8 gallons, and most of the time it takes 3.4 to fill it up. I see about 40mpg give or take.

My 1300R I can go 150-185 miles most of the time before I will need to flip to reserve. My worst was around 130 ridding in to a 20mph head wind on the high way for almost 2 hours on that tank. My best is about 200. It will usually take about 4 gallons to fill it back up, and the most I have ever put in was 4.8. I usually see about 45mpg give or take.

#8 ·
Going to the light doesn't necessarily mean much. I know the Retro has a bigger tank and you can ride further which is a plus also.

I have gone as far as 160 to the light coming on before and most the time it's 130ish. But at the light I never put much more than 3 1/2-4 gallons in. So no where near empty.

I average about 35-38 on my bike. It may be set a bit rich thru the programmer but runs good so I don't mess with it. I could probably tweak the programmer for a bit more mileage, but since I don't know what I'm doing, I leave well enough alone.

#9 ·
I got 172 a few years ago while visiting my brother in Okla. The low fuel light had not come on but I was getting nervous that maybe it wasn't working. As we pulled in to the gas station just before shutting down the light came on. Not sure if it made a difference or not but the whole time I was there I was filling up with non ethanol gas.

Dan

#14 ·
went 200 miles just one time
over washington pass in washington state from the east.
be it known though that for some reason that ride ALWAYS gets good MPG no matter what i drive,like 3-5 MPG better I think its the quick up side and tha long gradual downslope on the west side that does it
generally I get about 37 MPG

#15 ·
Don't know what low fuel light some of y'all are talking about unless newer models come with them. I have an 06 1300s and I just look for fuel when I am getting close to 150 miles on trip od. I might get better mileage because I was just told that when riding behind me their eyes start burning from the fumes I guess. I'm must be running very rich. Need to find someone to adjust carb.

#16 ·
The 1800s do have two more idiot lights on the dash than the 1300s have. One of them is the low fuel light. The other, an FI light that flashes troubleshooting codes to decipher if mechanical or electrical trouble, etc., arises.

#21 · (Edited)
124 / 2.8g = 44.28 MPG

44.28 MPG x 3.7 gals = 163 miles

When riding 50 - 60 MPH roads I may go on Reserve at 150 - 170 miles. So the reserve is 1 gallon so you should have another 44 miles to go. Round it down to 40 MPG on MAIN and when on Reserve I remember the mileage I switch and figure 10 miles per quart. Practice switching the Petcock from Main to Reserve. I can catch
mine before it flames out. The exhaust sounds different as it leans out before the pop. I just finished a ride to VA and anything over 3.7 gallons is on reserve. Depending on the lean angle or going uphill or downhill the main may run out one or two tenths earlier. I have not pushed a MC since the 1980's but I did forget to change the fuel selector twice on this ride over the weekend. I thought about in time to avert embaressment.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
I did a search and saw where a few guys several years ago used some Lucas injector cleaner in a tank or two and saw an increase in mileage. I tried it on last tank and did see good improvement. This bike most likely sat a lot since it is a 2007 and had only 15k when I got it a few weeks ago.

Got 155 before light came on. Expect it to be even better on the next tank.

Time for oil change. Oil looked good when I got it but still will change it because it was not my oil. Shell T6 has been my choice on all that I've owned and never let me down. Good price on a gallon $19 at wally mart right now. Previous bike was a vegas and it took 6 qrts to fill that bad boy up.

#22 ·
I did a search and saw where a few guys several years ago used some Lucas injector cleaner in a tank or two and saw an increase in mileage. I tried it on last tank and did see good improvement. This bike most likely sat a lot since it is a 2007 and had only 15k when I got it a few weeks ago.
I frequently put 6oz Diesel fuel in a tankful.
It gives me better mileage than when I do not. Several times on Interstate when my mileage drops into the 30's I have added a quart of Diesel and it went back into the 40's. The Diesel was added to the refill to keep the figures correct.

Adding a small amount of Diesel to my automobiles since 1970's.
As the tank was refilled and the Diesel was diluted more, the mileage decreased back to its normal figures.

#27 ·
I dont understand Miles per tank?
Seems pretty darn foolish to me.
I run to 120 or so miles on trip meter and fill up then reset trip meter.
I figure my MPG often, it is 40 to 44 depending on how I ride.
In my cars with a fuel gauge I fill by 1/4 - 1/2 tank.
Why would I run to reserve ??.
although I have a couple of times on the bike, when not paying attention.
But that was accidental....
I am NOT pushing this bike if there is anyway to avoid it!!!!

#29 ·
On the 1300 i hit 178 and it was not by choice buddy on his sportster only had a few oz left when we found a open station.
I still hadn't switched to reserve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.