Victory or Indian? - Page 2 - VTXOA
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

I'm only 3 years older, born 1967. What to buy?? Well, what do you want to do with it would be my question. If you ask me what I would buy again, for touring I would say another Harley Road Glide. The Road Glide and the Vic XC are closely matched in every way. Harley wins hands down for the shear amount of aftermarket stuff you can get easily and cheaper than most metric bike parts. As long as you find a Road Glide in the 2013 and up with the 103 engine and if you fnd one where the previous owner did nothing to the internal parts of the engine. This is where I have found most Harleys to be less reliable. When owners crack open the engine to add piston upgrades, cam upgrades, etc..... the engines lose their reliability and become picky as to what fuels they will run best on. Leave the insides alone, add your pipes and fuel manager just like the VTX or Vic and they will be just fine and take you all over the country just like my two did with no problems. Second choice would be another Vic XC

AMA Life Member 721314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
I'm only 3 years older, born 1967. What to buy?? Well, what do you want to do with it would be my question. If you ask me what I would buy again, for touring I would say another Harley Road Glide. The Road Glide and the Vic XC are closely matched in every way. Harley wins hands down for the shear amount of aftermarket stuff you can get easily and cheaper than most metric bike parts. As long as you find a Road Glide in the 2013 and up with the 103 engine and if you fnd one where the previous owner did nothing to the internal parts of the engine. This is where I have found most Harleys to be less reliable. When owners crack open the engine to add piston upgrades, cam upgrades, etc..... the engines lose their reliability and become picky as to what fuels they will run best on. Leave the insides alone, add your pipes and fuel manager just like the VTX or Vic and they will be just fine and take you all over the country just like my two did with no problems. Second choice would be another Vic XC
Another foot in mouth moment for me. Just figured with how much you know about bikes you had to be an older man. My bad.

I am looking for another good cruiser. I don't ride long distances so fairings, hard bags and the like don't appeal to me. Most riders I talk to say Harley all the way but I would feel like a sell out if I bought one. Guess I need to get over that. What's a good Harley that competes with my vtx?

Thanks for the help Spike!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:58 PM

For a cruiser, I don't know if the vtx can be beat. Have you got a 1800 already?

If you are talking Vic for a cruiser, you are not going to want the XC or the XCT. I would think more like the Gunner.

Indian chief dark horse.

2003 1300S. Desmog, ultimates, stealth fairing, fuel pump deleted

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHEvtxr View Post
Another foot in mouth moment for me. Just figured with how much you know about bikes you had to be an older man. My bad.

I am looking for another good cruiser. I don't ride long distances so fairings, hard bags and the like don't appeal to me. Most riders I talk to say Harley all the way but I would feel like a sell out if I bought one. Guess I need to get over that. What's a good Harley that competes with my vtx?

Thanks for the help Spike!
I took Larry's advice (Chicago Spike) 3 years ago when I was looking for another bike and I went with the Harley Ultra Classic and I have been very satisfied. I was all ready to buy a Victory CC but after consulting with Larry he assured me that HD was his choice should he buy another bike and that was good enough for me. You can take his direction to the bank.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

No worries, I've put my foot in my mouth plenty of times too. Eaten my words many times here. I'm easy enough

AMA Life Member 721314
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:15 AM

Victory or Indian are my top choices whenever I decide that my X is no longer doing it for me. At that, I love Victories, but the Indian Chief is just absolutely gorgeous in every way.....that Thunderstroke 111 I'm sure will keep the power that I've come to expect from a bike. My dad is looking at the Chieftain Dark Horse.....that's a mean mother as well. You looking at the Chief Roadmaster I'd say is a very good choice. My only thing is that Victory would be easier to get parts for, as they are a tad bit more established. I still want a Kingpin....lol
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 12:00 PM

Test road the Indians last year at Sturgis. Really nice and easy to handle. Don't know your price range but this looks like a good deal if still available.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/5583625056.html

Best of luck.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 12:29 PM

I just sold my 04 Vegas. I wanted something for the less traveled two lanes and this one filled the bill. I have nothing but praise for the Vic engines. I only let go because it had 36K on it and was ready for a slab eating bike just like this vtx.

I wish I could have kept it. You cannot go wrong with Vics.

IMG_3204.JPG

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:03 AM

I jumped on the Victory bandwagon recently myself and been loving every minute of it.

Anyone want to buy a VTX?
beachbumdrl likes this.

2002 VTX1800C

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:13 AM

Garage
As you know I LOVE my 1800...but the best looking "lines" are on ANY Victory motorcycle. They just look fast, even when they're on the kickstands.

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram, on a silver-black PHANTOM bike!
Meatloaf~Bat Out Of Hell

2002 1800 "S"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page