What did you do to your VTX today? - Page 110 - VTXOA
 1483Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1091 of 1134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:01 PM
Senior Member
 
MR VTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Magnolia, TX
Posts: 12,020
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
Cursed at it.

Thursday night, one of my club members noted that my left side saddlebag tends to move a lot when Iím riding. Today I snugged up the two bolts holding it on the rails. I figured I better do the same on the right side. Huh, only one bolt head there. The front one has broken off. Well crap, I wonder how long itís been like that? I took the bag off, the sissybar rail and there was just enough of the bolt showing to get some Vice Grips on it and back it out. Unfortunately I donít have a bolt I can replace it with. It will have to wait until Monday. I can still ride, but it will look funny with just one bag.


Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg
Ace Hardware usually has a great selection of metric bolts. It's an M10 x 45mm long bolt, and you'll need the 10mm washer/spacer if it fell off, too. Not sure of the pitch...it's either 1.00 or 1.25. You could take the other one with you to be sure.
MR VTX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1092 of 1134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
smurfy71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR VTX View Post
Ace Hardware usually has a great selection of metric bolts. It's an M10 x 45mm long bolt, and you'll need the 10mm washer/spacer if it fell off, too. Not sure of the pitch...it's either 1.00 or 1.25. You could take the other one with you to be sure.


Iím in Canada, no ACE.

Iíve tried the local Hardware and Big Box stores in the past, no go on these bolts. The dealer was able to get me some for Shadow, longer than stock, and Iíll need longer here too as the bracket for the bags is about a 1/2 inch or so. If that fails, Fastenal can get me what I need.


Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg
MR VTX likes this.

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

smurfy71 is offline  
post #1093 of 1134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Xman/qc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Quebec Canada
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
Iím in Canada, no ACE.

Iíve tried the local Hardware and Big Box stores in the past, no go on these bolts. The dealer was able to get me some for Shadow, longer than stock, and Iíll need longer here too as the bracket for the bags is about a 1/2 inch or so. If that fails, Fastenal can get me what I need.


Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg
It's 10 x 1.25 for the two front one n 8 x 1.25 for the last one
Did you have a Rona store around they have a rack of metric bolts but some store have just 10 x 1.5
Good luck


Envoyť de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

Xman/qc is offline  
 
post #1094 of 1134 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:10 PM
Senior Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 2,124
Today my VTX got new Kury iso hand grips installed on it. I also picked up a K & N air filter recharge kit and cleaned and re-oiled my K & N air filter for the first time in more than 5 years. Yes, the filter was way over due for a cleaning but the rest of the inside of the air box wasn't bad, just a little area at the bottom of the box was dirty. The K & N Kleen solution did an excellent job getting the filter very clean and I have enough cleaner and oil to clean and recharge the filter several more times. A couple of videos I watched said that after rinsing the filter with water, to let it dry for about 24 hours before re-oiling it, but with the hot weather on high today, the condenser fan was a perfect way to shorten that to about 30 minutes so I could finish.
dryer.jpg
MR VTX, smurfy71 and Earl Riviere like this.

2003 VTX 1800R

Last edited by pushrod; 08-25-2019 at 01:33 AM.
pushrod is offline  
post #1095 of 1134 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:24 AM
Senior Member
 
smurfy71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman/qc View Post
It's 10 x 1.25 for the two front one n 8 x 1.25 for the last one
Did you have a Rona store around they have a rack of metric bolts but some store have just 10 x 1.5
Good luck


Envoyť de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk


Went to Rona and picked up a bolt. Only they donít indicate what the pitch of the threads are and didnít have a tool to check. It looked right though. Brought it home, and it threads in the hole. Awesome. Put the bracket, spacer and washer on start threading it, and it only goes in a couple turns. The shoulder at the top of the bolt is stopping it from going in any further. The hole in one of the items it holds in place is too small.


Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

smurfy71 is offline  
post #1096 of 1134 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Hans&Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Conyers/McDonough, GA
Posts: 10,474
Garage
Grind down the bolt shoulder or drill the offending part that is too small.
Is it a collar/spacer?
Xman/qc likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles
Hans&Feet is offline  
post #1097 of 1134 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
 
smurfy71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Grind down the bolt shoulder or drill the offending part that is too small.
Is it a collar/spacer?


Bolt is similar to this.

The unthreaded part at the top is too thick. I could do either of what you suggest, as a last resort. I'm not sure which part it's hanging up on, goes through the sissybar bracket, grab rail, fender and whatever else is there, I prefer not to drill any of them larger. Grinding the bolt in my opinion makes it weak. I'll stop by Fastenal today and see what they have. Honda has a bolt I can order, but that means waiting longer because of course my dealer doesn't have it in stock.

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

smurfy71 is offline  
post #1098 of 1134 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Hans&Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Conyers/McDonough, GA
Posts: 10,474
Garage
You should have a small spacer to prevent crushing the grab rail.
It is in the area where the OEM socket head was.

A little file work should clear it if it was caused by crushing when tightening.

My luggage rack does not touch the grab rail because spacers are in use.
smurfy71 likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 08-26-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Hans&Feet is offline  
post #1099 of 1134 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:06 PM
Senior Member
 
MR VTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Magnolia, TX
Posts: 12,020
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post


Bolt is similar to this.

The unthreaded part at the top is too thick. I could do either of what you suggest, as a last resort. I'm not sure which part it's hanging up on, goes through the sissybar bracket, grab rail, fender and whatever else is there, I prefer not to drill any of them larger. Grinding the bolt in my opinion makes it weak. I'll stop by Fastenal today and see what they have. Honda has a bolt I can order, but that means waiting longer because of course my dealer doesn't have it in stock.
I wouldn't chance it with those bolts...just take the same bolt from the other side and try and match up the diameter with a new bolt. If no one has them, just order it from Honda (or get the part number and order from Amazon or the likes).
MR VTX is offline  
post #1100 of 1134 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
 
smurfy71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 600
After work yesterday I picked up the bolts I ordered. After dinner I went out to the garage to put everything back together, the bolt wouldn't thread. I was getting very frustrated, and decided it was time to drill out the threads and put in a bolt with a nut on the inside of the frame. Got out the drill, and grabbed a bit that was the same size of the bolt to start. Did a pass with the drill, and then checked with the bolt again. This time it threaded..... There must have been a burr the drill bit removed. Anyhow, its in, the bag is back on and I am riding again.
MR VTX likes this.

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

smurfy71 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome