Honda VTX Forum banner

What did you do to your VTX today?

225K views 2K replies 236 participants last post by  69camaro 
#1 ·
Heya everyone! I looked around and didn't see a thread like this so I thought I would get one started. On all of the other bike and car sites I am a part of there is a thread like this that just lets folks say what they did with their vehicle that particular day. It might be adding a mod, ordering some trick parts, fixing an issue, detailing it or just simply riding it.

I'll get it started.

I decided to open up the airbox of the new to me VTX1800T that I brought home last week to see if it had been desmoged and what air filter it had.

To my surprise, there was a pool of motor oil in the bottom of the air box with no indication of where it came from. The TB intake path was clear as was the snorkel. No idea where it could have come from.

But the real shocker was what I found when I removed the cover. A dirt dauber nest.

The dealer I bought it from told me that it had been sitting on the showroom floor for 3 year... but a nest in the airbox? Seriously? LOL

So I ordered the block off plates so I can remove the AIR & PAIR systems.

See less See more
#45 ·
New front brakes, new tires, last ones had 14150. Ride on in tires, rework tool kit, tighten battery cables, check wiring for reg/windings, go through possibles bag, check first aid, compressor, new fuel line, new air filter,loaded spare lights, check cook set......more tomorrow.

#51 ·
Finally cleaned the bugs off her. She's been dirty for almost a month.
Sure looks good when she's clean!

Sent from my... wait - No free advertising here!

Reactions: LEGO and rangers4u
#52 ·
Finally cleaned the bugs off her. She's been dirty for almost a month.
Sure looks good when she's clean!
Nice, I love those F wheels

Reactions: nate6966
#54 ·
I hear that!
On the flipside, though, ya gotta knock off the old bugs sometimes so you can smile at the new bugs :pepper1:

(gorgeous paint by the way!)

#56 ·
With blue skies, 78 degree temps, and a bit of rain in the weekend forecast, I had to slip out for a "doctor's appointment".

Clicked off 200+ miles, including a jaunt over a mountain. Beautiful ride and happy my job gives enough flexibility to do such things!

#58 ·
Brrrr!
I brave those temps on my morning commutes, but not for 50 miles! I only have 9 miles to deal with it (at only 35 mph, too)

#61 ·
I took a 50 mile trip to a store 6 miles away! Got home and remembered I forgot something so I had to go the super long way back to the store. Overall close to 180 miles for 4 items. LOL

Dan

#64 ·
OK Guys, I'm all excited about this, but I finished my fillers. Maybe not the perfect place to post it, but what the heck!

I used 14 ga. sheet metal, had it bent at a metal shop after making a model out of hardboard (masonite) It would have been nice to roll the corner instead of a sharp break, but there's no guarantee they'll turn out real nice & smooth. Besides, they'll be somewhat obscured by the trunk when I finally get it painted & mounted.
I experienced a few fitment issues because the back of the bags aren't perfectly flat, but worked it all out with some very skinny spacers & silicone to seal space between bag & bracket. I always mask my silicone so I get a straight, smooth bead. No finger painting here.
Had them powder-coated and they look awesome!

Attachments

#65 ·
Well, this past hitch offshore, i bought the brackets and everything to return to factory set footpegs from the cobra footboards that were on her, Hooked up a small (3) led strip to my license plate bracket because i got a warning from the awesome police officer that pulled me over this past time home because there wasnt enough difference between my brake light and running light for my tail lamp on the bracket. Turned out pretty good. So got that wiring done and did the peg setup with the new Kury pegs on her.

So far the past 3 months I've put on the new black 18 degree bend drag bars from jp cycles, the black ISO grips and stiletto end caps, the kury silver bullet turn signals (rear), pegs with brackets, and side license bracket with the added small led, and the 2" lowering shocks on rear. My sig pic is the most current pic i have of her. I'd have to say im pretty stoked about it. i love it.

Going to be a while before my next change i believe. Looking to go with a bigger front wheel and fender. Going to look at staying with the F style wheel, just maybe an inch or 2 bigger. Not sure where im going to find the fender or the wheel yet, but once im ready to spend a couple thousand more on it thats my next plan.

Cheers!

#67 ·
Nothing too exciting. Cleaned "Ebony Eyes" up a bit from last ride a couple weeks ago. Made ready for a ride tomorrow. Tightened a couple bolts that weren't as tight as they should be, replaced 1 missing nut from my w/s bracket. Put a couple lbs. in the tires.

#68 ·
New Life for an old trunk

Over the past 2 weeks i took an old 1985 Goldwing trunk(GL1200), had it repainted and the backrest reupholstered. I built a frame to mount the trunk to my cobra luggage rack. Changed the trunks 1157 bulbs to LED's. The extra space is great!

Attachments

#77 ·
Hey Guys, this thread seems to have gone flat just lately. Am I the only one working on my bike these days? Ok, so its snowing here and we're expecting a high of about 0 degrees F, so what better to do than work on the bike, right?

Sometimes I'm "that guy" rolling down the road with his blinkers on. I know, What a Goof! Right?

So this is my solution, a couple 3/4" LED's mounted into the fairing on either side of my windshield bag (getting new one). These will most certainly get my attention. I tried to upload a video, but no dice. So here's how it turned out. Total project cost less than $20.00 including LED's, wire and even a little waterproof connector so I can still take the fairing off.

I'm sure it took me longer than anyone else cause I just made one mistake after the next and had to keep going back & redo what I screwed up. It's all good now, All Done!

Attachments