Honda VTX Forum banner

What did you do to your VTX today?

225K views 2K replies 236 participants last post by  69camaro 
#1 ·
Heya everyone! I looked around and didn't see a thread like this so I thought I would get one started. On all of the other bike and car sites I am a part of there is a thread like this that just lets folks say what they did with their vehicle that particular day. It might be adding a mod, ordering some trick parts, fixing an issue, detailing it or just simply riding it.

I'll get it started.

I decided to open up the airbox of the new to me VTX1800T that I brought home last week to see if it had been desmoged and what air filter it had.

To my surprise, there was a pool of motor oil in the bottom of the air box with no indication of where it came from. The TB intake path was clear as was the snorkel. No idea where it could have come from.

But the real shocker was what I found when I removed the cover. A dirt dauber nest.

The dealer I bought it from told me that it had been sitting on the showroom floor for 3 year... but a nest in the airbox? Seriously? LOL

So I ordered the block off plates so I can remove the AIR & PAIR systems.

See less See more
#1,833 ·
Batteries are stupid expensive these days I replaced a battery in my Tacoma it cost me like 70-80 bucks the Same batterie 7 years later $170.00. Glad you didn't have to shell out that money.

#1,835 ·
With the bike all apart from the starter switch replacement, valve inspection and installing power for a GPS navigator and this morning being a cool day in Phoenix. (it rained). I decided to drain and re-fill the anti-freeze. Last performed March of 2018, 22,500 miles ago. The amazon vendor realized their mistake and have sent a replacement spark plug. I just installed an old plug to burp the radiator.

#1,836 ·
After continuing to blow the 10A fuse for the FI & indicator lights, 350 mi. from home, I've decided to bite the bullet. A friend is going to go to his home 5 hours away, get his trailer, and then tow me home. But I have a local experienced VTX mechanic I trust, with a shop 2 mi. from my home, so he's about to get very rich off me. I'm tired F-ing with it and trying to find whats wrong.

Reactions: VTXer_wannaB
#1,837 ·
After continuing to blow the 10A fuse for the FI & indicator lights, 350 mi. from home, I've decided to bite the bullet. A friend is going to go to his home 5 hours away, get his trailer, and then tow me home. But I have a local experienced VTX mechanic I trust, with a shop 2 mi. from my home, so he's about to get very rich off me. I'm tired F-ing with it and trying to find whats wrong.
Dislike.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

#1,842 · (Edited)
Black/Brown wire, to speedo, to indicator cluster, to VSS, to front DRL,
to 3 pin optional fog light connector, to license plate light, to tail light,...
Is it related to any handlebar turn right or left??
What about the feed to switch on your fuse block, what is the trigger???
Possibly Bl/Br used???
PC3 is connected to Bl/Br usually..
Some PC3 have died....

Or rubbing against the frame and shorting?
Check the cable harness frame clips on the backbone..
Push, pull the harness or smaller cable.
A 10 amp ckt breaker would be nice to at least provide power when not shorted.
Assuming it is intermittent???

#1,846 ·
Rode this morning, left at 6am. New Flag, i downsized a tad. Still like the larger flag. Zune wasn't as loud as my phone for some reason. Muggy and hot, weather sucked this morning 60% humidity and 93, to us in AZ that's hell.

Reactions: Lou_VTX
#1,847 ·
Rode this morning, left at 6am. New Flag, i downsized a tad. Still like the larger flag. Zune wasn't as loud as my phone for some reason. Muggy and hot, weather sucked this morning 60% humidity and 93, to us in AZ that's hell.
I think the previous flag fit the big bike a little better and I liked it more but that's just my opinion, you can disregard.
I managed to squeeze in a ride yesterday morning too. We were in low 80s (temperature and humidity) so I know how you felt. :) Fortunately the sky was BKN so the sun was peeking through infrequently and only in short intervals and as long as I was moving, the air felt good. I prefer evening rides for that reason. It might be 90F and 70% but at least the sun is down and the air is cooling.
So far we've had only a very mild summer this year, all this moisture from the Gulf and plenty of clouds to shield us from the sun rays. Muggy but at least not triple digits.
Hoping the rest of the summer is the same way, much nicer than 110 and sunny during normal TX summers!

#1,850 ·

Today, she got a well earned bath. She was rode hard and put away wet the past 2 days. My buddy and I did a Cannonball Ride of 1000 miles in 2 days. Day 2 was the shorter mileage day, but was longer due to a 2 hour ferry ride, road construction, an emergency detour and my buddy got a flat with 180 miles to go. But we made it.

What a great time! 1730 kms (1074 miles) in total.

Day 1

Day 2

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

#1,853 ·
I rode mine to the annual Beldenville Car show, then to Elmwood's UFO days. Managed to lose my favorite Hat strapped to the back of the bike. Got home from my 90+ mile day to see my son, who doesn't live here, unloading a very clean 650cc Silverwing off of my trailer. He bought it as a first bike for a 5 foot tall 100 pound friend of ours. It always makes me nervous when he says "it needs work", but in this case, they ordered tires for it. I have the tire changer.

#1,858 ·
Replaced battery, repaired a bad ground.

Reactions: rangers4u
#1,859 ·
Picking mine up from a mechanic friend. He found a short to ground, or 2, with my RTB unit. Kept popping the 10A fuse and shutting off. Had to get it trailered home a week ago from W. Va. Those damn lil wires break easily. Channeling my best Gene Autry: "I'm back in the saddle again".

Reactions: DrDolittle
#1,860 ·
The area under the handlebars was a little rusty. Nobody would see it, but it bothered me anyway. I can see it standing in 6' in front of the bike. Here:
Hood Light Automotive tire Purple Plant

Then decided to take off plate and screws that holds top of radiator. here:
Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Hood Automotive tire

A little wire wheel and wire brush, gloss black Rust-oleum I had around the house and brushed it on. The AFTER:
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Light

When I put it back together I realized I missed the screw and small plate holding the horn on. :mad: Of course I already threw out the small paint brush:mad: I'll get it some other day. :D

Time to ride

#1,861 ·
The area under the handlebars was a little rusty. Nobody would see it, but it bothered me anyway. I can see it standing in 6' in front of the bike. Here:

Then decided to take off plate and screws that holds top of radiator. here:

A little wire wheel and wire brush, gloss black Rust-oleum I had around the house and brushed it on. The AFTER:

When I put it back together I realized I missed the screw and small plate holding the horn on. :mad: Of course I already threw out the small paint brush:mad: I'll get it some other day. :D

Time to ride
Very Nice! when I did my steering neck bearings I resprayed that whole section flat black. Mine wasn't chrome so it was an easier project. I also had previously removed the turn signals from that location so I wanted the lower triple to be less noticeable. I will see if I can put up a pick when I get back to the house this evening.

#1,862 · (Edited)
So i rode yesterday after several days of heavy storms (monsoon season in AZ). On the way home i went to use the Horn and got nothing, no sound. :cautious: so i'm thinking blown fuse, electrical problems...:cautious:
Came home and heard this from the Horn:

At 1pm yesterday i ordered a new horn from Amazon and got it delivered to my door at 10:30am this morning and installed it in 15 minutes (everything fit including the connectors). Yeah it's a cheap horn, in fact it came in a 2-pack to my surprise, $12.99. At least i have a back-up now.. 😁

Problem Solved! 😁

NEXT! :D

#1,874 ·
So i rode yesterday after several days of heavy storms (monsoon season in AZ). On the way home i went to use the Horn and got nothing, no sound. :cautious: so i'm thinking blown fuse, electrical problems...:cautious:
Came home and heard this from the Horn:

At 1pm yesterday i ordered a new horn from Amazon and got it delivered to my door at 10:30am this morning and installed it in 15 minutes (everything fit including the connectors). Yeah it's a cheap horn, in fact it came in a 2-pack to my surprise, $12.99. At least i have a back-up now.. 😁

Problem Solved! 😁

NEXT! :D
My point really was about Amazon and how quick i replaced the horn. Ordered it from my PC 5 feet from my bed and they delivered at 10:30am the next morning! It is the same horn i had except all black in color, a plus.. i didn't like the red/black horn, stood out like a sore thumb.
I was still wearing the shorts i went to sleep in when i installed. It was one small nut to lossen/tighten and the connectors were exact, no messing with relays,switches or rigging-up a mount. Easy peasy and FAST!!
😂

#1,868 ·
I too bought that twin pack of horns. Gayest thing I ever heard. I decided that yelling out was a better option. Sat unused on my bike for years.
You didn't use the horn on your bike for years? Must have a loud voice...😂

i'm just glad it honks when i press the button.

Reactions: lofty
#1,877 ·
Hateful much? You gotta chill a little, don't want to give yourself an aneurysm.

I frankly do not recall what the Wolo horn looks like. When I installed it on the wife's car, it was hidden under the bumper in the stock horn location. Saw it only once when I pulled it out of is packaging.
If you don't like how it looks, simply don't put it on your bike. Great solution. <shrug/>