I've Rode My Last Motorcycle - Page 3 - VTXOA
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 12:53 PM

Garage
Prayers for a fast recovery.

I'm currently having a mental debate with myself, as to ride again or not... I wrecked 2 years ago and busted my leg badly... 2 years later I have a titanium knee, and thinkin about riding again.
rangers4u, skiwoods and frnkcat like this.

06' 1300R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 12:54 PM

Thank God it wasn't worse. I hope you heal up quickly. Your decision to quit riding may be premature, but is a respectable position. The good thing is that you can change your mind later if you feel like it. It is very responsible IMO to know that if you ride again, you may be unsafe due to overthinking the danger aspect. That fear can cause a rider to actually expose themselves to even greater risk. If, down the road, you do change your mind, you will know that you have the confidence to go out there and not overthink the risks.

Our love of biking is full of risk, and sometimes the most unfortunate happens and someone gets hurt. The driver that turned in front of you was probably so oblivious that they had no idea they just about killed someone. That, unfortunately, is the state of way too many drivers out there IMHO. I've seen riders too, who are completely oblivious so it's not just cagers. It's just that the cagers are the most deadly when they confront a bike.

Oh, and on a side note, the stock rotors/pads combination on Harleys bites! The VTX had far better rotors/pads as stock. Just an observation.
rangers4u and skiwoods like this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Last edited by Harkon; 09-15-2016 at 01:06 PM.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 03:19 PM

Garage
Speedy recovery mate.
Best of luck to wherever your roads lead.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 03:44 PM

I had those same thoughts after my encounter with a deer back in July of 2015. I was on my 97 Valkyrie and broke both bones in my lower left leg, 6 ribs, punctured lung, and a cracked scapula and spent 6 days in ICU and a total of 15 days in the hospital. It took me several weeks before I knew I wasn't done riding yet. My Valk was totaled but luckily I still had my VTX 1300 and was riding again by Halloween. Even though I still ride, I have to admit to times of being uneasy out there, not so much by traffic, but by the 4 legged forest rats known as deer. They absolutely do seem to come out of nowhere. I was riding alone and luckily a good samaritan stopped and called in the accident. I am not as comfortable riding by myself anymore but am glad I decided to keep riding. Give yourself some time before you decide anything as others have said. Plus, whatever you decide can be undecided at any time. This isn't one of the decisions that is written in stone. By the way, I am 65 and don't see myself riding forever, but as long it is still fun and I am physically able, I will continue. Best of luck to you, and as Mr. Spock said, "Live long and prosper."
rangers4u, skiwoods and pushrod like this.

Steve "Papa Smurf" Johnson
aka "Deer Slayer"
Vancouver, Washegon
2003 VTXS Retro
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:19 PM
bdm

Sorry to hear about your accident i try to pick my riding time and roads to many people texting not watching what they are doing get well and rest
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:33 PM

I had a wreck myself 4 years ago. broke my sternum all the way across and scapula,two ribs and one hell of a leg bruise that did nerve damage. never been so sore in all my life. I was on my last vtx 1800 I owned before this one. I never considered leaving the biker community. But I do understand how you feel. After all, most of us are family people and it made me wonder what they would do without me and the support I offer them. You have to give them a thought too. Its not all about us. Do what you think is right.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
I had those same thoughts after my encounter with a deer back in July of 2015. I was on my 97 Valkyrie and broke both bones in my lower left leg, 6 ribs, punctured lung, and a cracked scapula and spent 6 days in ICU and a total of 15 days in the hospital. It took me several weeks before I knew I wasn't done riding yet. My Valk was totaled but luckily I still had my VTX 1300 and was riding again by Halloween. Even though I still ride, I have to admit to times of being uneasy out there, not so much by traffic, but by the 4 legged forest rats known as deer. They absolutely do seem to come out of nowhere. I was riding alone and luckily a good samaritan stopped and called in the accident. I am not as comfortable riding by myself anymore but am glad I decided to keep riding. Give yourself some time before you decide anything as others have said. Plus, whatever you decide can be undecided at any time. This isn't one of the decisions that is written in stone. By the way, I am 65 and don't see myself riding forever, but as long it is still fun and I am physically able, I will continue. Best of luck to you, and as Mr. Spock said, "Live long and prosper."
Have you ever thought of putting those little deer "horns" on your bike. The ones they sell for cars...supposed to make some high pitched noise that only deer hear?

2004 VTX 1300c - Hypercharger, FP Jet Kit, V&H Cruzers
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 11:02 AM

After i had mine I told myself I need to get back on one asap. I am sure glad i did. I understand your choice. Glad to see you
came out ok. I just had an idiot make a left hand turn right in front of me a couple of weeks ago. Wife was on the back and had to slam on the brakes. I love ABS. only thing i got was a helmet hit from the wife.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2005 1300R 87000 miles gone
2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:12 PM

Glad you're OK.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 07:25 AM

I am sorry to hear about your accident, but I am glad you are hear to tell us about it yourself. Regardless of whether you continue to ride or not, only you can ultimately make that decision, take the time to physically and emotionally heal. Sometimes emotionally healing from an accident take a lot longer than physically healing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page