Help me "Oldschool" my bike. - VTXOA
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Help me "Oldschool" my bike.

As the Missus has her own 'bike, l get to remove the b****h seat, or as we call it in the UK, the pillion seat.

I like the old school look it's produced, but any ideas for CHEAP mod's to give it more of a "dated" look?

Also, there is a blemish where the rear seat bolted to the fender, other than my large washer quick fix, any ideas how to cover that? (I know about the leather bib that fits, but our VTX online supplier is out of stock!)

PS, does anyone know of a backrest that will attach to the stock front seat?

nate6966 likes this.

VTX 1800C
Kawasaki Versys
Honda Shadow

Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:50 PM

Nothing says 'oldschool' like getting rid of all the external wiring on the bars. Take some time this winter (if you live where you have an off season) and get a nice set of dragbar/risers (one piece) and do the internal wiring. Also, if you look around (I forgot the name of the company) you can find a real nice 'Weiand' style basket weave air cleaner. Very retro looking. BTW; Looks like you have gotten your $ out of that rear tire.
nate6966 likes this.

Jimbo. 1800c, Drag Bars, Drag Pipes, Chrome Wheels, 31T Ring Gear, BadX Extreme Seat, SOTMC Shocks, 200 Rear Tire, Elimination of all Non-essentials, Kingdom of Kicks.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:42 PM

Garage
I, too, love the look of my bike without the rear pillion! My wife's not' quite ready for her own bike yet, though.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members/...50-one-up.html

Your paint might be able to buff out a bit, or maybe get the rear fender re-painted? Factory color and one fender might not be as expensive as you think... Or just go the distance and contact BD Cycle's (http://www.bdscycles.com/Home.html) and get a wicked custom paint job!

And ditto on Jimbo's comment about your rear tire... ya don't wanna be 100 miles from home and see this while checking your bike over...

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:10 PM

Get some of that plastic coat, I think it's called Plasti Dip. Pick a nice contrasting colour, or even a matte black, and mask off an area that runs down to your seat and covers the blemished area. It peals off if you ever need to re-do it, and you can change the color or design later if you want. To start with I'd just try to do something simple like a long triangular area starting from behind the bolt. If it's not to your liking, then change should be reasonably easy.

And as far as I know there is no aftermarket backrest for the stock seat, but AFAIK, some have made their own mount to adapt one.
nate6966 likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Last edited by Harkon; 09-19-2016 at 02:19 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 03:10 PM

Garage
As for the driver backrest, you could always make your own, and bolt it to the rear fender rails, or I think Custom World makes one that does the same thing.

As far as other "old school" items for looks, you could chop the rear fender, and move the lights/turns with a side mount license plate. After all, nothing says "old school" like little to no lights on the back, or the front, except the headlight, and possibly no front fender, too. However, I don't recommend going with such a look, due to all the idiots which are too busy with their cell phones who probably wouldn't see you.
ervin260 likes this.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:37 PM

I painted it for ya...

2 suggestions Brit!

1) get a can of black spray and take the bolt and the big arse washer off and paint, then put it back on there.
2) please get a back tire straight away chap

Untitled.jpg

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis311 View Post
I painted it for ya...

2 suggestions Brit!

1) get a can of black spray and take the bolt and the big arse washer off and paint, then put it back on there.
2) please get a back tire straight away chap

Attachment 87810
I hope I can make a better job of painting it than you did Travis!!!!

Back tyre is on order, but thanks everyone for your concern.

Which leads me to.................have any of you gone down the car tyre route as a rear replacement?

VTX 1800C
Kawasaki Versys
Honda Shadow

Mick
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:56 PM

Using a car tire in the rear is called 'darkside' over here. A forum search for that term will turn up LOTS of 'discussion'.
nate6966 likes this.

"It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to." - icopus
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 05:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icopus View Post
Using a car tire in the rear is called 'darkside' over here. A forum search for that term will turn up LOTS of 'discussion'.
Lots o' guys go with a car tire on their VTX (not including me). Some impressive distances have been ridden on a car tire versus a motorcycle tire.

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:47 PM

Garage
I changed to a car tire on the rear of my 1800R. The deep fenders give it an old school look to a point.

I'll include pictures of what I did to my other bike that gave it an old school look.

I second the breather idea. Go with something else there and with the right one it will have an old school look to it. lowering the bike some will help with the look as well.

As for the hole in the fender....... On my other bike I had 3 holes where the rear seat mounted. I used those holes and made a rack/decoration that mounted using those holes. I used flat plate aluminum and while you can paint it, I opted to polish mine.

If I keep this bike I'll be doing something different with my breather.

The exhaust on mine and the black wheels also help with the old look. You could get some exhaust wrap and it would help the look as well.
nate6966 and MonstaVTX1800 like this.

2002 VTX1800R Corbin Young Gun Seat, Programmer III usb, Saddlemen saddlebags, Stealth Fairing, shop built lowers and highway bars, desmoged and 1800 "C" risers.
[B]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page