How would you do this? (A puzzle for ya) - Page 3 - VTXOA
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 06:34 PM

I would not even try to do this! After reading about Harley and the EPA, I suspect they will soon be going after any motorcycle that does not have stock pipes and injection/carb system. FranklyI cannot afford the fine, possible loss of bike, nor the pure inconvenience of such an event.

Besides, most aftermarket pipes do not reduce noise from stock, and most aftermarket pipes do not significantly increase torque nor horsepower. At least not enough to justify the expense.

But that is just one persons opinion.

harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
I would not even try to do this! After reading about Harley and the EPA, I suspect they will soon be going after any motorcycle that does not have stock pipes and injection/carb system. FranklyI cannot afford the fine, possible loss of bike, nor the pure inconvenience of such an event.

Besides, most aftermarket pipes do not reduce noise from stock, and most aftermarket pipes do not significantly increase torque nor horsepower. At least not enough to justify the expense.

But that is just one persons opinion.

A lot of riders feel the same way you do, and this is why modified motorcycles for noise and power are becoming less of something we see, or in my case experience. For some like me, there is nothing like hearing raw power displayed in a motorcycle, and the joy of tweaking your ride for a little more 'juice' than stock. Soon enough everyone will be riding totally silent electric motorcycles and loud pipes will be 'unheard of' to toss in a pun.

Out here if I get stopped for too loud pipes, it's simply a 'fix it' ticket. I'd just have to mount stock baffles back on and that's about it, no big deal.
nate6966 likes this.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 10:27 AM

I made my own set of baffles with a lollipop. If you look online, there are pictures of what thunder monster or others sell, I went to auto zone and they have a menagerie of exhaust pipe fittings including reducers. I pieced together what I wanted and spent maybe $25 on exhaust parts and hardware. It's a little louder than the baffles that came with my aftermarket pipes but I like the tone better. And performance works for me. Like HoP, I put the lollipop about 6" from the end of the pipes per recommendations I found online.
nate6966 likes this.

2002 1800R - Blurple with blue flames, mustang studded seat, muzzy's 2-into-2, hydroedge 205/65/16
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:59 PM

1) File a small slot parallel to the lollipop face. This will be to hold the lollipop with a screw driver and orientate the lollipop for proper placement. If the lollipop has different facing use a sharpie and mark half of the slot to indicate forward or rear facing.

2) Tie a piece of small foam to a string.

3) Insert the foam from the exterior of the 3/8 hole and use a vacuum cleaner at the open end of the exhaust pipe to suck the foam.

4) Remove the foam and tie the string to the lollipop thread rod.

5) Use a flex grabber and grab the lollipop.

6) Insert the lollipop with the grabber and use the string as a guide to the 3/8 hole.

7) Work your patience to get the threaded portion to exit out the 3/8 hole.

8.) With the grabber still in place, if need be, remove the string, insert the nut and finger tighten. Remove the grabber if need be, align the sharpie marked to the correct orientation. Use a small screw driver inserted in the slot and tighten the nut. Verify orientation.

Thats how I would approach that problem.

Edit

8a) If by tightening the nut and the screw driver is not able able to hold the orientation in place, retard the orientation of the lollipop such that your final torque of the nut aligns to the correct orientation.
nate6966 likes this.

Last edited by Neewbie; 09-22-2016 at 01:52 PM.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neewbie View Post
1) File a small slot parallel to the lollipop face. This will be to hold the lollipop with a screw driver and orientate the lollipop for proper placement. If the lollipop has different facing use a sharpie and mark half if the slot to indicate forward or reaar facing.

2) Tie a piece of small foam to a string.

3) Insert the foam from the exterior of thr 3/8 hole and use a vacuum cleaner at the open end of the exhaust pipe to suck the foam.

4) Remove the foam and tie the string to the lollipop thread rod.

5) Use a flex grabber and grab the lollipop.

6) Insert the lollipop with the grabber and use the string as a guide to the 3/8 hole.

7) Work your patience to get the threaded portion to exit out the 3/8 hole.

With the grabber still in place, if need be, remove th string, insert the nut and finger tighten. Remove the grabber if need be, align the sharpie marked to the correct orientation. Use a small screw driver inserted in the slot and tighten the nut. Verify orientation.

Thats how I would approach that problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Based on my experience a flex grabber isn't needed if you have secured your string to the end of the lollipop bolt (I didn't use a grabber). Once you pull the string through the drilled hole in the side of your pipe the lollipop bolt should come right through the hole with no difficulty. You then flip the pipe over so the bolt is now held in place by gravity with the threads out of the hole, ready for the nut. A grabber might help keep the bolt from being pushed back in when you put the nut on the end, but not likely if as in my case, it would have had to go past a bend that would force the grabber shaft to orient against the top of the pipe, and thus the bolt as well. My string was Kevlar so it was strong enough for me to pull down on it enough to keep the bolt in place as I screwed the nut on the end, at least until it needed torque enough to start the bolt rotating.

In my case, I didn't cut a deep enough slot in the end of the lollipop bolt for a screwdriver to hold it into place. Once you see what a tiny surface the end of a 3/8" bolt is, you will see how hard it is to cut a deep enough slot into it for a screwdriver to hold it securely, and still allow enough thread on the outside for your nut to hold. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it didn't seem like a viable solution compared to holding the nut in place from rotation with the flexible conduit I used.

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:03 PM

When I faced a similar project, it didn't occur to me to try a vacuum. I simply put my monofilament line thru the drilled hole... fed it down the pipe til it came out the end. THEN, I attached it to the bolt and pulled the bolt back inside the pipe and into position.
House O' Pain likes this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud-57 View Post
When I faced a similar project, it didn't occur to me to try a vacuum. I simply put my monofilament line thru the drilled hole... fed it down the pipe til it came out the end. THEN, I attached it to the bolt and pulled the bolt back inside the pipe and into position.

This is actually what I did with the second set of pipes I put a lollipop baffle in, but those pipes were a straight shot. I've done this with the pipes in the photo and another set of straight fishtail pipes.

Just goes to show there are more than one way to 'skin a cat'.

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:41 PM

My thought process was with the pipes still installed and not removed from the bike. In either case it would have been simple task for me to figure out. You could say Im mechanically incline.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page