right turn signal indicator light issue - VTXOA
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

right turn signal indicator light issue

Any help would be appreciated! My right turn signal indicator on the dash does not work. The front any rear blinkers do work, just not the dash indicator light. If I pull or tug on the harness located under the left side of the tank it will come on but eventually it stops altogether. Clearly I have a contact problem somewhere in the harness. Should I have the harness replaced or do I have another option.

Thanks

Common sense puts you ahead of 80% of the field!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:51 PM

Cool

I would try and clean the connector's. Than spray some WD-40 in both side's. See if that work's.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

I did disconnect the two green connectors just to make sure I didn't have any broken "needle" connectors. I then put some dielectric grease on them and put them back together. My problem is with the right turn indicator. The left indicator and neutral light indicator both work.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 03:06 PM

Garage
Maybe your bike is left-handed???
steveroy60 likes this.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21", Kury Engine Bar & Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Ultimate Seats, Cobra Slash-Cuts, Progressive 430 Shocks & Springs, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Show Chrome Fringe, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:20 PM

Garage
Pull the connector apart again and verify one of the pins is not pushed into the connector body.
Light Blue wire

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,235 VTX miles
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Pull the connector apart again and verify one of the pins is not pushed into the connector body.
Light Blue wire
I'll check for that. However if a pin is pushed back into the connector that wouldn't explain why when I tug or twist the harness the light comes on if just for a second would it?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug62 View Post
I'll check for that. However if a pin is pushed back into the connector that wouldn't explain why when I tug or twist the harness the light comes on if just for a second would it?
It could, depending on how far back the pin is. My pins actually popped out of the green plastic housing a long time ago, so whenever I take the green connectors apart and put them back together, I push them together really firmly and then wrap a piece of electrical tape around them tightly. I then slide the rubber cover down over the connectors, place it back in its place and push the cable stay up firmly so the whole assembly stays where it's supposed to and then turn on the ignition and check all light functions.

I did buy a set of replacement connectors that are much nicer than the stock crappy ones, but I've been too lazy to install them. Greg Riddle did a write-up on one of the boards (here or the Cafe') and posted which product he used.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

When I had the connectors apart everything looked in order. I'll take another look at them this weekend and maybe shoot some contact cleaner in there as well as dielectric grease and see what I have then. The fact that the other indicator light is working as well as the neutral light has me scratching my head why the right turn light is not.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug62 View Post
When I had the connectors apart everything looked in order. I'll take another look at them this weekend and maybe shoot some contact cleaner in there as well as dielectric grease and see what I have then. The fact that the other indicator light is working as well as the neutral light has me scratching my head why the right turn light is not.
Each of those pins in those two connectors controls only one circuit, and since we have dual turn indicators (L & R), it could just be that the R turn signal pin is loose.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

I really appreciate you helping me out. By chance do you know which pin I should look for that services the right signal indicator?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page