Honda VTX Forum banner

Lost my key

3K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  GAVZDAD 
#1 ·
I spent Saturday morning installing rear running boards on the X. Got ready to ride and couldn't find my key. Yes, I looked everywhere I could think of before I decided to call the dealer for a replacement. They said they didn't have VTX blanks and should call a locksmith, but I'm lazy and don't want to pull the ignition if I don't have to. I do realize the key will turn up, but in the mean time its probably a good idea to get a replacement so when it does turn up, I have a spare. My question is, has anyone else lost their key? If so, how did you replace it?

#3 ·
I went to a locksmith the other day and had 2 keys cut for the bike. $10 and change. Never fails I'll set one down and it will grow legs and walk away (or my wife does a clean and moves it on me on purpose). When I take long trips, I hide one on the bike and the old lady carries a spare as well.

Good luck in your search.

Reactions: KODIAK35
#10 · (Edited)
13 years ago when I bought my VTX new I got 2 keys. In spite of the fact that I have never lost a key in my life and due in large part to similar discussions on this board I developed a paranoia about losing my keys. So within about a month of purchasing my new VTX I had a spare key made to use on a daily basis and keep my original keys in the file cabinet along with the title. OMG, I just realized that after 13 years I know where my title is too. Well compared to my peer group in this thread, something must be the matter with me because after 13 years and over 125,000 miles later including multiple SaddleSore 1000s, Bun Burner 1500s, and CC50s, as well as a host of more casual rides, I still have all three keys. Anybody know of a good counseling group I could go to, I obviously need help? I hear public admission of this affliction is an important first step. But whats next, I've tried leaving my key in the garage, in the kitchen, in my pockets.....etc, but every time I go back and look, they are always right where I left them. One time I put my keys on top of my dresser and didn't ride my bike for 6 whole days, when I went back to look for my keys, yet again they were right where I left them.

#16 ·
Now, the rest of the story... Last Friday night we had a block party and myself, along with a couple neighbors had a few drinks. Somewhere in the conversation motorcycles came up. Naturally, I fired the bike up and revved the motor a little bit. My daughter (knowing I was drinking) decided it would be best if she took the keys. The next day when I did decide to ride is when I realized I "lost" the key. In my 30 years of driving/riding I've never lost any keys so I never thought about a spare. This past week I did take the ignition out (surprisingly easy) but was reunited with my precious key before I made it to the locksmith.

#17 ·
Just in case no one local to you can make a Honda Motorcycle key...

Last year I found a "locksmith" on Ebay who can make Honda keys from the code on the ignition. The site provided several disclaimers about being a genuine and trust worthy locksmith and 100% positive feedback. He was even able to identify a number I couldn't read correctly.

Reactions: KODIAK35
#19 ·
Under one of the side covers, attached by Velcro.......

#20 ·
My first out of state ride I heard the story of a man who flushed his key and had no spare. From that day forward I've always had a spare in the tool bag under the left side cover. Needed it the other day when I dropped my key at the store. And you know I'm having a spare spare made asap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.